Shear stability

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have narrowed my search to 2 oils. Mobile 1 V twin 20w50 and Amsoil 20w50 motorcycle oil. Which one has the best resistance to shearing.. I would like to run the oil that stays in grade the longest. Thanks for your help. Roger

Me too and have a sample at the lab now after 658.6 miles.
The sample is Delo 400 SAE30. Specs from the manufacturer say
10w40,15w40,20w40 and 20w50, but the SAE30 runs at a temp between 150f to 170F most of the time. Or, from 35 to 24 cst.
A -w50 is 18.4 cst at 212F.

Going to wait and see what the sample looks like and then decide from there, but I do want to try some Delvac 15w40 in it JUST to see if the oil temps run hotter.

I have a feeling the w40's will run even cooler (thicker) because when I started using the SAE30 my mpg went from 60-61 to 65+. Last tank was 68.

Diesel oils are a common alternative to motorcycle oils due to their more robust and stout nature catering very well to wet clutches/hi-rpm motors,

another oil to consider would be Rotella T6 5w-40 which is used in confidence in several sport bikes

I am looking for specific experience with the 2 oils I wish to try. Diesel oils are good but will not stand up to my application. Thanks Roger

Originally Posted By: RogerBacon
I am looking for specific experience with the 2 oils I wish to try. Diesel oils are good but will not stand up to my application. Thanks Roger

Well what is the machine it is going to be put in?

Honestly, both will serve well. Id honestly just try both and see what the bike likes for yourself.

I haven't used either of the 20w50 moto oils you ask about, but may be able to shed some light for you. I have used both companies 10w40 moto oil in demanding shared sump racing engines and found the Amsoil to be much more shear stable.

I am looking for specific experience with the 2 oils I wish to try.

Did you look through the UOAs? They both appear very shear stable, sometimes they even thicken up a bit, but I suppose it depends on how long they are in service.

Hey Roger, check out Brad Penn's 20W50 High Performance oil. (The Green Oil) Has a HTHS of 6.2... Higher then AMSOIL and Mobil 1. I tried both the oil's you’re looking at and both are excellent! although after about 1000 miles on my Twin Cam Harley it started ticking and the oil drained like water?.
Went with the Penn Grade 1 and runs smooth as silk.

Last edited:
Thanks Klotz1, that is good info. I do not know if Brad Penn is available in Canada, but I will check it out. My bike is 1985 Shadow with 60,000 mi. on it. I have another thread outlining my problems. The Brad Penn sounds interesting. Thanks Roger

Does anyone know how to find the HTNS of Mobile 1 V-twin 20W50? It is not listed on any sites I can find. Thanks Roger

Have you considered VR1 Valvoline Synthetic? I run it in my 865cc air cooled/shared sump triumph and it seems to hold up well if shift quality is any indicator.

Valvoline VR-1 Racing Motor Oil is not recommended for use in wet clutches. This is from the Valvoline site. I don't think this is what I am looking for. Thanks anyway. Roger

Higher HTHS is not necessarily an indication of a better oil. Nor is it an indication that an oil is more shear resistant.

As for M1 V-twin 20w-50, I've read on another forum that it has HTHS of 5.94 cP, however, that info is a bit dated, so I'm not sure if it still applies to the current formulation.

Interesting. I e-mailed Mobile and asked what the HTNS and I received a very terse comment saying that the HTNS was not available to the general public. I know we are not supposed to assume, but I am going to assume that Mobile is ashamed of it and will not give it out. This means that Amsoil is my final choice. Roger

Interesting. I e-mailed Mobile and asked what the HTNS and I received a very terse comment saying that the HTNS was not available to the general public. I know we are not supposed to assume, but I am going to assume that Mobile is ashamed of it and will not give it out. This means that Amsoil is my final choice. Roger

Wow OK - here is a BITOG approved link: Amsoil 20W-50

HTHS_motorcycle_50_2009.png

Wow. It did not take Pete long to muddy up that decision. I guess it is up to the best price--these 2 oils are almost the same. Roger

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back