Severely discharged battery

Status
Not open for further replies.
If the car is a recent purchase, you may get some help from a Dlr. If not, Be glad you sussed it without any hassle. Service call on top of a new battery. Ouch.
grin2.gif

Originally Posted by andyd
If the car is a recent purchase, you may get some help from a Dlr. If not, Be glad you sussed it without any hassle. Service call on top of a new battery. Ouch.
grin2.gif

Well, the hassle part is still TBD. I haven't tried starting the car yet. Not sure it'll start with this battery. May need a jump start.

Yup. Not enough juice to get the engine started, no matter how much I charge it. Gonna jump start it tomorrow and head to the dealer. Hope the 30 minute drive won't put too much undue stress on the alternator with a lame battery like this.

Originally Posted by Quattro Pete
Yup. Not enough juice to get the engine started, no matter how much I charge it. Gonna jump start it tomorrow and head to the dealer. Hope the 30 minute drive won't put too much undue stress on the alternator with a lame battery like this.

Personally, I'd pull the battery and take it in.

OK, so it appears the battery may be hosed... it won't take a charge. After 24 hours of charging at 10A, it's still only at around 11V at rest with no load. It fails CCA test quite spectacularly.

Drain seems to be only at around 20 mA once the usual systems go to sleep, but I haven't monitored it for too long yet.

Gonna try to talk to the dealer to see if they'll give me a new battery.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

You may need to charge the battery at a higher rate. I had several batteries which did not respond to charging until I nuked them with the 20A setting on my charger.

Originally Posted by The Critic
You may need to charge the battery at a higher rate. I had several batteries which did not respond to charging until I nuked them with the 20A setting on my charger.

I tried pushing 20A into it, and it wouldn't take it. Or maybe my ProLogic 2320 just sucks, I don't know. Which charger do you have?

Originally Posted by OVERKILL

I just had it flat bedded to the dealer. Let's see what they say.

FYI, I couldn't even get it jump started off my BMW, but the flat bed driver hooked up his portable jump starter and that did get the engine started.

FYI, I couldn't even get it jump started off my BMW, but the flat bed driver hooked up his portable jump starter and that did get the engine started.

I'd be afraid of harming the alternator with the battery in such a state of unhealth, that's why I mentioned it.

Originally Posted by Warstud
What brand of Battery ?

I don't know what brand Dodge uses. I don't recall seeing any name brands on the label and i don't have the car with me at the moment to check again. Google says it's most likely Johnson Controls.

This is how you do it. Some brands won't warranty a battery unless it "fails to start". Seems dumb to add a wrecker bill to the mess but their actuaries think they'll come out ahead.

You may also luck into some diagnostics as to why this went down, or possibly a BCM reflash etc that'll save the battery under a secret campaign.

Originally Posted by eljefino

This is how you do it. Some brands won't warranty a battery unless it "fails to start". Seems dumb to add a wrecker bill to the mess but their actuaries think they'll come out ahead.

You may also luck into some diagnostics as to why this went down, or possibly a BCM reflash etc that'll save the battery under a secret campaign.

Yup, in addition to "fails to start," they had to run a 3-hour test on the battery before being able to condemn it. I suppose they were testing if it would hold a charge.

Now they're keeping the car over the weekend to monitor for parasitic drain.

I asked about software updates, but they claim everything is already up to date.

I'd still like to know why this battery died so soon. Did I just get a dud battery? The fact is, I don't drive this car often, but when I do, I don't short trip it. It did sit in the garage unused the whole winter, but I would connect it up to one of my smart chargers every month or so, usually the PL2320. Maybe not ideal operating conditions for the battery, but still, completely dead in 1 year without much warning?

How long did this vehicle sit on the lot before you bought it ??

If quite awhile... Like 6-8 months or more.... That could be a big part of the reason.

Originally Posted by bbhero
How long did this vehicle sit on the lot before you bought it ??

If quite awhile... Like 6-8 months or more.... That could be a big part of the reason.

Couple of days. I had it special ordered.

Many, many new vehicles have failure to start condition due to vehicle sitting around.... No charge ever applied to the battery... Not helpful at all regarding battery health in the long term.

Originally Posted by bbhero
But.... How long did it sit somewhere else before you ordered it ???

It did not sit anywhere. I ordered it. They made it, and immediately shipped it to the dealer. I was tracking it through the process, and it took a whole of maybe 3 weeks from the time the dealer placed the order with the factory.

Also, a lot of cars nowadays are put in "transport mode" or "ship mode" at the factory. This is designed to put most electronic components on the car to sleep in order to minimize battery drain. The dealer turns that mode off once they're ready to sell the car.

I asked about software updates, but they claim everything is already up to date.

Given my experience, I find that highly unlikely. There probably just wasn't an update that had anything to do with the issue. I've already done six updates on the RAM.

Given my experience, I find that highly unlikely. There probably just wasn't an update that had anything to do with the issue. I've already done six updates on the RAM.

RAM is a newer model. Is it possible they're still tweaking its software? Charger is a dinosaur. Either they've figured out its software by now, or they stopped trying.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back