Serp Belt Slipping/Chirping

Something has always chirped on my JL only for a second at startup. I kept thinking it was an accessory but it sure sounds like belt squeal. It's so brief I can't be positive, and it's done it from new off the dealer lot. Maybe I should try some dielectric. Anyone know if OxGard is acceptable?

The belt dressing will make it worse .....went thru everything twice started with OEM ford stuff
Easy to narrow down the noise to the belt for instance even a spray bottle of water with the tiniest squirt would quiet the belt down for about 2 seconds

Tried wire brush on the pulleys and grooves cleaned pulleys with hot soapy water then with brake cleaner clean as new

Gates green belt no change
Gates regular no change
Dayco belt no change (returned when the cheapie didn't fix it either )

Every solution I could think of definitely not a rotational part such as bearing or tensioner

Going 3 days straight so far not a peep this after dealing with this for over a year and non stop the last 2 days until I found a solution it was to the point I was going to even try a new harmonic balancer

Glad I tried this and wish I had tried it long before the parts cannon was loaded and fired multiple times so if anyone has the hard to figure chirp and all things have been checked to be free and rotational and the noise still exists just give a small dab a try before you second guess new parts like I did

I have to admit that I tried the silicone grease trick and it worked for me also (vehicle and tractor). It is counterintuitive. One has to be careful about not using it as a bandaid to cover a real problem like discussed above: failing tensioner, failing pulleys, worn components, misalignment, etc..

Last edited:
Back