seperate air filter for crankcase?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The make-up air for the PCV system typically comes from the clean air side of the engine intake system. A typical engine intake air filter is probably a compromise between filtering efficiency and the high volume of airflow it must handle. I don't know what the rating of the typical intake air filter is, perhaps single digit micron? This would allow single digit micron particles to enter the crankcase. Would it be a benefit to add a low or sub-micron HEPA or ULPA like air filter element to the intake for the crankcase make-up air?

Just some random thinking.

[ February 13, 2003, 11:34 PM: Message edited by: Rick in PA ]

quote:

Would it be a benefit to add a low or sub-micron HEPA or ULPA like air filter element to the intake for the crankcase make-up air?

I think it would keep the oil cleaner. It would have to. I'm not sure how much wear that the low micron particles cause, so you may not get any benefit from it though.

I have modified my Bronco PCV intake as you describe, only with a K&N breather filter. Hardly a sub-micron, you say?
shocked.gif
Well yes, but it does filter better than the aftermarket breathers with the wire mesh or foam.

I agree with you in that a lot of particles enter the oil through the PCV system.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back