Semis - they've completely taken over the highways

Status
Not open for further replies.
Imagine how bad highway congestion would be if it wasn't for intermodal freight being run on trains. More trains would be helpful if those intermodal containers could be hauled on a truck instead of a trailer chassis. At least that would reduce the footprint of a truck on the road.

Yes, I've driven all over the country, and in Canada, too. I've made many trips out west in the last 5 years, and enjoy watching the country roll by once I get west of I55 in Illinois. Truck traffic out there is not annoying, and I can cruise at 75-80 mph for hours without interruption.

Driving to the southeast is a pain if you use I75 because it's basically busy all the way from Detroit, MI to Atlanta, GA. South of Atlanta it's good until you reach northern Florida, then it's busy all the way to Miami.

The less said about the 401 in Canada, the better...

Originally Posted By: grampi

I won't say I never see this, but it is extremely rare as passenger vehicles are almost always traveling at faster speeds than semis...

Come down here. Your Northern buddies have the roads clogged. Sure there are some bad semi drivers but most are trying to get down the road and passing is almost impossible with Yanks clogging the passing lanes.

They're are plenty of restricted lanes on Interstate highways where the left or left two lanes are restricted for vehicles with 3 axles or more. Most of them are within a 20 to 25 mile radius of medium to large cities. Most drivers I feel aren't aware that they're even driving on a highway that has restricted lanes. The large trucks on an 8 lane interstate...4 lanes in each direction...have only 2 lanes to drive and pass in, the right two. That puts them in a potentially dangerous situation of having to be aware of the traffic that is trying to merge onto a busy interstate highway, as well as having to be aware of traffic that is trying to exit the highway as well, so they're being required to drive in the two most dangerous lanes on the highway. I have had irate drivers give me the #1 sign because I won't move over to allow them to merge...the other driver being unaware that out of they're line of sight and hidden to the left of my truck is a mini van in the left lane beside me with a family of four in it. We ALL need to be more understanding and tolerant of other drivers no matter what they're driving. I say a prayer when I leave out on every trip, that I won't injure or kill anyone, and be patient and tolerant of all drivers. It has worked so far the last 43 years of driving 18 wheelers. thanks

Restricting travel routes for through trucks to either the ring roads that encircle most large urban area or the bypass roads that go around them is another strategy.
The problem with this is that if you build nice new roads, development will come, so most of these routes around large urban areas are also heavily developed and carry large volumes of traffic.
I think that most of the congestion on interstates in most areas is concentrated inside of urban corridors or on corridors that connect two nearby urban concentrations.
I-75 between Cincinnati and Dayton is a good example.
Traffic is considerably lighter not too far north of Dayton and not too far south of Cincinnati.
I-71 is usually okay between Cincinnati and Columbus and heavier north of Columbus enroute to Cleveland.
Time of the day also matters, with more trucks through the day and not as many observed during an early morning long distance commute. I used to drive to Columbus quite regularly druing the morning rush and traffic was fine until I hit the point where I-71 converges with I-70, which lasts only a few miles but is often really congested.
Since we've collectively chosen a distribution model based upon OTR trucks and a personal transportation model based upon indvidually operated passenger vehicles, a little congestion at times is inevitable.
Nobody likes being stuck in traffic, but we should all adopt a calm and relaxed approach to driving through congested areas.
A little courtesy toward other drivers goes a long way as well.
I sometimes even let trucks in front of me, no doubt to the consternation of certain other car drivers.
Getting mad or impatient doesn't accomplish anything other than spoiling your mood and raising your blood pressure.

Originally Posted By: gman2304
They're are plenty of restricted lanes on Interstate highways where the left or left two lanes are restricted for vehicles with 3 axles or more.

I am starting to see more and more where truckers are even violating these restrictions. There are several areas I travel where there are more than 2 lanes in each direction, and the truckers are using the far left lanes on these sections, even though they know they're not supposed to...it's obvious they simply don't care that they're impeding traffic flow...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: BMWTurboDzl
IMO Truckers loathe loosing momentum, and they'd rather pass another trucker in the car lane to keep their speed up.

I agree. They would rather break the law than lose momentum before or during an uphill grade. It's sometimes without reason however as no matter how much speed they get on some of the hills around here, by the time they are half way up they have slowed to about 30 mph anyway. Just last week on my way to work I was going up a steep grade in the middle lane (3 lanes available) doing the speed limit. Two semi's in the right lane, ahead of me about 100 yards, both going about 40 mph. As soon as I was about ten yards behind the second truck (I was in middle lane...he was in right), this complete IDIOT pulls RIGHT in front of me! I was stunned. I had to slam my brakes on and nearly went sideways. I had no lane to swerve into as the highway was busy with traffic. This jerk just wanted to keep up his meager momentum and didn't want to lose 10 mph behind the slower truck in front of him. He didn't care at all if he nearly ran me off the road.
Yep....many truckers these days really are dangerous....and my incident is common as I deal with truckers like this very frequently.

Originally Posted By: jcwit
I've had them actually run me off the road simply because I wasn't going OVER the posted speed limit.

Outrageous. So many facets of our society and culture have become filled with anger and a general lack of consideration.

Originally Posted By: andrewg
Yep....many truckers these days really are dangerous....and my incident is common as I deal with truckers like this very frequently.

Both my father and father-in-law were truck drivers. After spending some days with them traveling around I gained an appreciation of their perspective.

Many car drivers these days are dangerous also. They don't realize that if following behind a truck too close, the truck driver is unaware of their presence. Car drivers are not aware of the complexities of driving a truck and don't allow enough clearance for the truck, etc..

I also think (know) that some truckers do stuff just to P.O. the car drivers because so many car drivers are inpatient, uncaring jerks. I tend to give respect to truck drivers and "help", if I can, when they are trying to change lanes, turn, or whatever.

Of course there are bad apples in the truck driving profession. But I see WAY more bad car drivers than I do truck drivers.

Again, if you would spend some time in a truck cab, you would learn a different appreciation for the challenges they endure.

Originally Posted By: doitmyself

Both my father and father-in-law were truck drivers. After spending some days with them traveling around I gained an appreciation of their perspective.

Many car drivers these days are dangerous also. They don't realize that if following behind a truck too close, the truck driver is unaware of their presence. Car drivers are not aware of the complexities of driving a truck and don't allow enough clearance for the truck, etc..

I also think (know) that some truckers do stuff just to P.O. the car drivers because so many car drivers are inpatient, uncaring jerks. I tend to give respect to truck drivers and "help", if I can, when they are trying to change lanes, turn, or whatever.

Of course there are bad apples in the truck driving profession. But I see WAY more bad car drivers than I do truck drivers.

Again, if you would spend some time in a truck cab, you would learn a different appreciation for the challenges they endure.

I agree that the roads are FULL of idiot drivers....especially in cars. It's awful how people drive today. My point has always been that as a trucker....being that you drive incredibly heavy and potentially dangerous vehicles....they have an added responsibility to drive safely and with extreme caution. If they want to go around another vehicle just to get one more car length ahead....or if they tailgate a car driver going well over the speed limit....and if they talk on cell phones while swerving in traffic....they need to be in jail in my opinion. I realize that those that drive these rigs responsibly are not to blame....and that auto drivers are often horrible as well....but this doesn't make excuses for a semi truck driver to not be safe. I've seen it getter worse all the time as I've been commuting to work on the same roads for twenty five years. Truck drivers have become a serious problem and the lack of law enforcement pulling these guys over is evident. Not enough money for enforcement, too many vehicles on crowded roads, and a general lack of decency in our society. Combined, all these things have made driving to work a very serious hazard.

yeah they are like this on the rural stretch of I-5 in Calif. It's annoying when they're passing a 55MPH truck while going 56MPH.

One time there was a truck that passed about 10 trucks... while going 0.5MPH faster. Not kidding. It took over 15 minutes!!! The left lane was clogged for miles due to that idiot

Originally Posted By: doitmyself

I don't think anyone in here would argue your point that passenger vehicle drivers are a bad bunch as well, but that doesn't excuse dangerous or inconsiderate driving by truckers...and I have seen this from a trucker's perspective as I used to be one...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: xfactor9
yeah they are like this on the rural stretch of I-5 in Calif. It's annoying when they're passing a 55MPH truck while going 56MPH.

One time there was a truck that passed about 10 trucks... while going 0.5MPH faster. Not kidding. It took over 15 minutes!!! The left lane was clogged for miles due to that idiot

Welcome to my world! This is exactly the scenario I deal with every time I travel...fun isn't it?

Originally Posted By: xfactor9

Elephant racing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back