Semis - they've completely taken over the highways

Status
Not open for further replies.
I spend a lot of time on the highways driving between IL, OH, and MI (mostly I-80, I-65, and I-70). Semi traffic is so heavy on these roads that it's not uncommon to see semis outnumbering passenger vehicles. The problem this causes on 4 lane highways is these semis are constantly passing each other, which takes up both lanes and disrupts traffic flow.

Apparently trucker's schedules have gotten so tight they simply don't care about being courteous anymore. They will swing over into the left lane even when they can clearly see there are faster moving passenger vehicles coming up from the rear to pass them, and then hold them up for miles while they pass 1, 2, 3, or however many other semis there are in the right lane. I drove from Dayton, OH to Joliet, IL the other day, and the entire drive on I-70 and I-65 was nothing but jockeying around, and being held up by semis. I would get held up for 5 mins while one trucker decided he was going to pass 4 other semis in one pass, then when he finally moved over into the right lane, there would be another gaggle of semis right in front of the last group doing the same thing...playing leap frog all the way down the highway. This has gone beyond ridiculous! Forget about ever using cruise control, or trying to maintain any resemblance of a decent driving speed because these truck gaggles dictate traffic flow and I'm constantly having to slow down for them. I think we need a law that states semis must remain in the right lane and should be allowed to pass in the left lane only when they can do so without holding up passenger vehicles in the process. Failure to obey this law would result in a ticket for impeding traffic flow.

I realize truckers have a difficult job, and I respect that, but something needs to be done about this...we passenger vehicle drivers can't go anywhere anymore without being held up by semis...

Some of the problem is likely younger semi drivers, and they simply don't know any better, or weren't trained well.

I-70 through Indiana and Ohio is horrible. I will avoid travelling it during the day if I can.

At least Ohio is adding lanes to it when they do a complete rehab of the pavement, and are building wider bridges for the future.

But yes, having one semi that is going 65, passing one that is going 64.9 leads to problems. Especially on the hilly sections of I-75 in Tennessee.

This is nothing new, many aren't courteous.

I drive from NJ to Michigan regularly on route 80, and this is normal. These trucks are limited in speed some are limited at 60 some at 61, and so forth.

Yeah, I wish they were more courteous but it isn't going to happen.

It doesn't help that IL (at least) limits trucks at a 10mph (IIRC) below passenger cars, or that many companies govern the trucks...

IMO the lower speed limit is particularly dumb...

Originally Posted By: xxch4osxx
Plenty of cars hold up trucks every day as well. I doubt it will change.

I won't say I never see this, but it is extremely rare as passenger vehicles are almost always traveling at faster speeds than semis...

There is a section of I-5 in Washington state that did/does have lane restrictions in which semis are not permitted in the left lane. I once saw a semi pull into the left lane, cutting of a black SUV, which turned out to be a bad idea as it was an unmarked Washington State Patrol vehicle...lights and sirens immediately went on. I had mixed feelings at the time because the SUV was traveling probably 10 mph over the speed limit and I felt he got straightened out by the semi.

Originally Posted By: cjcride
Notice it up here too. The economy is firing on all cylinders again.

Be careful with the political talk here. Not allowed.

Originally Posted By: mrsilv04
Some of the problem is likely younger semi drivers, and they simply don't know any better, or weren't trained well.

I-70 through Indiana and Ohio is horrible. I will avoid travelling it during the day if I can.

At least Ohio is adding lanes to it when they do a complete rehab of the pavement, and are building wider bridges for the future.

But yes, having one semi that is going 65, passing one that is going 64.9 leads to problems. Especially on the hilly sections of I-75 in Tennessee.

This is the very part of this issue that is so infuriating to me. Trucker A is in front of trucker B, both are in the right lane. Trucker A is going 62.5 MPH, trucker B is going 62.75 MPH. The speed limit is 70 and I'm coming up from behind in the left lane to pass both trucks. I know trucker B sees me coming up to pass him, but he swings over in the left lane in front of me anyway to pass truck A. He could have simply slowed down .25 MPH for a few seconds until I've passed by, then make his pass. But they always think they have to swing over in front you and impede traffic flow, and they will do this regardless of how many vehicles they hold up in the process. They are purposely being aholes and that's why I say there should be a law against this...

Many other countries ship stuff by rail, barge, etc., rather than long haul trucks.

Our rail system has suffered over the years but we are seeing more freight being moved now that way.

I've noticed this for a few years now driving on I-59 through Alabama. It gets irritating for sure.

Funny you think a law should be made though. I just come from another thread you were involved in where you were speaking of how ridiculous it is that certain tire shops are protecting their interests by not installing tires that differ from the manufacturers spec., then come in General and post about how laws about trucks passing other trucks and using cell phones while driving should be in place. If I didn't know any better I would think that you tend to only agree with laws and practices that benefit you, and want to infringe on anything someone else may do that bothers you.

Sorry, but the ratio of semis holding up cars to cars holding up semis is very lopsided. The vast majority of those truck drivers simply don't care that they take 3 miles to pass another vehicle and make everyone slow to a crawl behind them.

Truck drivers likely do care but are just happy when they get an opening-- any opening-- in the left lane. I show drivers the courtesy of predictability, not hanging off their right rear, and if I'm gonna pass them, I do it with vigor and get off their side even if it takes me doing 85 to do it.

Seems this situation could be improved with infrastructure investment-- any sort-- whether it's rail, barge, highway, air...

I agree that the semis on roads like the Indiana and Ohio turnpikes are horrible. They drive aggressively and worse, far too fast for the conditions.

I've had the displeasure of driving those roads in both heavy snow and torrential rain, and not only do they go too fast (evidenced by trucks off the road, one even fell off a bridge), but they make the conditions VERY unsafe for cars, because they spray, throw water/snow, and swerve lane to lane. I especially dislike the tandems.

I never much notice an issue with speed limited trucks in NJ, but I have been caught up on smaller interstates down south. Them going too fast is more of an issue then them going too slow, IMO.

The problem is, we live in an ultra consumerist society where the rail network sucks and everything has to be delivered on a truck. Plus, the Just In Time Inventory/Manufacturing paradigm has forced even more freight onto commercial trucks. The bigger issue is, everyone is driving cars that can do 100 mph more easily than ever, speed limits are 65 to 75 mph, and the avast majority of semi trucks owned by the large OTR freight companies are governed at around 60 mph. That is why it looks like the drivers are playing games with traffic; one company truck is governed at 62, another at 60, so the guy at 62 is going to pass the 60 guy to get to his destination as fast as possible, and it creates a log jam.

Originally Posted By: 97f150
I've noticed this for a few years now driving on I-59 through Alabama. It gets irritating for sure.

Funny you think a law should be made though. I just come from another thread you were involved in where you were speaking of how ridiculous it is that certain tire shops are protecting their interests by not installing tires that differ from the manufacturers spec., then come in General and post about how laws about trucks passing other trucks and using cell phones while driving should be in place. If I didn't know any better I would think that you tend to only agree with laws and practices that benefit you, and want to infringe on anything someone else may do that bothers you.

I don't see how laws against semis impeding traffic flow and cell phone use while driving would only benefit me...and the tire shop refusing to install "S" rated tires on a non-high performance vehicle was ridiculous...the only reason they refused is because the customer didn't buy the tires from them...

Originally Posted By: dparm

Sorry, but the ratio of semis holding up cars to cars holding up semis is very lopsided. The vast majority of those truck drivers simply don't care that they take 3 miles to pass another vehicle and make everyone slow to a crawl behind them.

Don't whine and cry about the drivers; they're driving trucks that are governed way under the speed limit. They're trying to put food on the table like everyone else. The entire industry currently is a flawed paradigm. Most truck drivers aren't out there purposely trying to hold everyone up; they're trying to make a buck.

I try to not let the trucks bother me. I figure that they are on the job at that time so I try to cut them a break. Of course driving a semi here in southern california would be a challenge of its own with all the traffic on our highways. I see cars cut in front of them all the time.

Originally Posted By: DuckRyder
It doesn't help that IL (at least) limits trucks at a 10mph (IIRC) below passenger cars, or that many companies govern the trucks...

IMO the lower speed limit is particularly dumb...

Exactly! Most of the big companies like Swift and Werner limit the trucks to around 60 mph to save fuel. There has to be a better system for transporting freight, but when the bottom dollar of one truck driver vs another and one company vs another is the bottom line, nothing's going to change.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back