Semi-synthetic vs mineral

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Espada
Originally Posted by Mad_Hatter
Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en

hahahaha

The last time my battery died in Egypt, I hopped on a Camel Uber.

That was incredibly stupid and borderline racist.

Its okay i find stuff like that funny ...‚

Originally Posted by Linctex
Your car consumes oil.... I would not buy expensive oil.

Run whatever you can find that is thick and cheap.

Told him that a long time ago. Soon he'll have spent enough on all this crap that he could have paid for a new rings and stem seals job.

Actually i am talking about cheap oils 15w50 semi synthetic mannol has almost the same price of 15w50 mineral shell helix x5 and i am using the cheapest i can get and i am switching to 15w instead of 20w as winter is getting cold at night 5 am is usually the time i start my car and it gets to 6c Celsius, ah btw the difference between 15w and 20w in price is 20 EGP

Fair enough - you know the oil prices there much better than I do. I know you're just reaching for options to slow down the consumption, just keep topping off with a cheap, thick lube until you can afford to get it repaired proper (if that's possible) or get a replacement. ...

Doubtful the oil had anything to do with the battery failing but IF thick oil killed your battery, your battery was either on it's way out and/or your charging system ain't working right.

Originally Posted by PimTac
6 Celsius is not cold at all.

Not for you or I here in WA (it's freaking 37f and raining right now; I hate cold rain) but for Egypt it might be. In either case, a 10w or 15w should start no problem I'd think at +42f, no?

Last edited:
A night time min of +6C is not cold from an oil design point of view. For example a 10Wx oil is developed for starting at 0F (- 20C).

I live in a similar climate, it just feels cold to you and me because we are use to the heat in the middle of the day.

Heat is the issue here, day time heat in 30's or 40's (deg C), as that kills a battery fairly quickly, which you usually notice when starting.

How old was the battery?

Three years is a common replacement time for me, two years if it's a cheaper battery.

Originally Posted by SR5
A night time min of +6C is not cold from an oil design point of view. For example a 10Wx oil is developed for starting at 0F (- 20C).

I live in a similar climate, it just feels cold to you and me because we are use to the heat in the middle of the day.

Heat is the issue here, day time heat in 30's or 40's (deg C), as that kills a battery fairly quickly, which you usually notice when starting.

How old was the battery?

Three years is a common replacement time for me, two years if it's a cheaper battery.

Yeah three ...… actually the technician told me it is normal for it to die now and the alternator had some issued fixed that too
Originally Posted by Espada

hahahaha

That was incredibly stupid and borderline racist.

Its okay i find stuff like that funny ...‚

Originally Posted by Linctex
Your car consumes oil.... I would not buy expensive oil.

Run whatever you can find that is thick and cheap.

Told him that a long time ago. Soon he'll have spent enough on all this crap that he could have paid for a new rings and stem seals job.

Actually i am talking about cheap oils 15w50 semi synthetic mannol has almost the same price of 15w50 mineral shell helix x5 and i am using the cheapest i can get and i am switching to 15w instead of 20w as winter is getting cold at night 5 am is usually the time i start my car and it gets to 6c Celsius, ah btw the difference between 15w and 20w in price is 20 EGP

Fair enough - you know the oil prices there much better than I do. I know you're just reaching for options to slow down the consumption, just keep topping off with a cheap, thick lube until you can afford to get it repaired proper (if that's possible) or get a replacement. ...

Doubtful the oil had anything to do with the battery failing but IF thick oil killed your battery, your battery was either on it's way out and/or your charging system ain't working right.

Okay i will use the cheapest option, thanks for always supporting me with knowledge â¤ï¸

Last edited:
Originally Posted by dave1251
What is your vehicles make, model, transmission, and engine?

IIRC it's an older Mitsu' Lancer.. don't recall the exact age, maybe early 2000's?

Originally Posted by RDY4WAR
The only time a heavy oil treatment could possibly have an impact on the battery would be in extreme cold temperatures when the oil is too thick to pump effectively and puts a strain on the starter (and therefore the battery) to crank over the engine. I doubt you have that issue in Egypt.

hahahaha

Lol good one!

Originally Posted by dave1251
What is your vehicles make, model, transmission, and engine?

Mitsubishi lancer 1998 1.3L manual transmission

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back