Scott Center Pull Towels

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have often thought it would be good to find a filter element that was as good as TP with the capacity of paper towels. I think I have found a large element that is as good or maybe better than TP. It is Scott center pull paper towels. I got them from www.viking.com stock #G11-BZL01032. My large housing takes several elements from several companies. Some have about the same filtering ability as paper towels. Some are just large pleated paper elements. The Scott elements are expensive compared to regular paper towels but they are concentrated paper fibers. It looked like I was going to do some engineering to make the 8" by 15" element fit the housing. The stock element is 7 1/2" by 15" My filter supplier has a slightly larger and longer housing that will handle the longer and larger element. I wasn't looking forward to rolling about 12 rolls of TP together. The elements are 8" by 8" I drop two in. When you are dealing with paper fiber elements a good test is how much the element weighs. It would take several rolls of Bounty Big rolls to equal one of the big elements. They are messy to change but not more than other paper towel filters. They don't need to be changed very often like 30,000 on my old Ford diesel.

Ralph
burnout.gif

Ralph,

Look at how the Kleenoil filter and element are designed. They use an element like the center pull rolls. Their housing pinches off the edge of the roll for a seal.

Larry

Larry,
My concern would be the cost, quality and size of the element. Looking at the specifications of the Kleenoil filter I can see that the smallest size is a little smaller than a roll of high quality TP such as Scott Kimberly Clark that I get from www.viking.com. The middle size is a little larger than TP. It would take about four of their largest elements to equal the two rolls of Scott center pull towels that I need for the large Nelson filter housing. A case of center pull towels from Viking cost about 50.00. Thats about 17.00 per filter change. I don't know what the cost of four Kleenoil KF 85 elements cost. I have been using two rolls of Kleenex Viva paper towels and three rolls of Scott TP rolled together to make a big element. They are cheaper but don't have the depth of the center pull towels.
When a filter company starts talking about long fiber cotton or paper they are usually too expensive for me. I have used TP for over 40 years. TP has always worked well for me. I haven't tested Fleetguards best filter element. It is the LF-750 A and uses chopped newspapers. It has a built in secondary filter in the element. I use a hydraulic filter at the outlet. I have only used paper towels for about about 10 years. I try to find paper towels as near to toilet paper as possible. Normally paper towels don't have the density of TP. The Scott center pull towels do.

Ralph
burnout.gif

Ralph,

I just meant for you to look at the design and how the edges are sealed off. You're on the right track to get a housing and center pull roll combination that work together. Those rolls are very tightly rolled and might make a very good filter. The smallest Kleenoil element is about $24.00. The element does come in a plastic bag, inside the box to make changing a little cleaner and easyer. I may be putting one on one of my vehicles, in a swap with a friend in Texas, for an Oil Guard filter. It's going to take a while to get some miles, but I'll post results. I was also be looking for an alternate element source.

Larry

It looks like we are back where we were 40 years ago. We have the Frantz and Motor Guard that are the best and others that are trying to convince people that their elements are better than TP. Some are hiding TP in cartridges. I think some of these filters are for the "you get what you pay for" crowd. I can't see paying 24 bucks for an element that is probably not any better than TP. At one time Frantz made elements for the big filters. They were far superior to the stock elements but a little expensive compared to the stock elements. What I am looking for and think I have found is an element as good or better than TP with the capacity of about three rolls of paper towels. I am driving the old Ford more and would like going 30,000 miles between changes. I have tested the big filters at 1000 hrs using two rolls of Kleenex Viva and three rolls of Scoot TP.
The center pull towels have the density of TP and will save me a lot of rolling. A big filter will beat a small filter at cleaning oil if the elements are the same depth. What I want is to have my cake and eat it too. I have the 750 bracket bolted to the cross member. It is a Luberfiner. They are harder to convert than the Fleetguard 750. I can handle it. Rather than purchase an inferior filter I would rather install a Fleetguard LF 750 filter and use the stock LF 750 A element. Install a 1/16" orifice at the inlet and my guess is it would beat the Oil Guard big time. I bought a big LF 750 element at O'Reilly Auto Parts for about 10 bucks. I don't think they are submicronic like I must have. Few big filters are submicronic. Installing a dozen Frantz or Motor Guards in parallel would do it but that would be a little expensive.

Ralph
burnout.gif

Deepsquat,
The Scott center pull is the only one I have tried. The stock element is about 7 1/2" by 15". I normally use two rolls of Kleenex Viva rolled together to get a 11" element 7 1/2" wide. Then I spend about 20 minutes to roll 3 tolls of TP together to get a longer element. The Kleenex is soft enough that I can compress it to get the nut on. I was using nylatron end plates that are machined to seal the ends. The nylatron is 3/4" thick and expensive. Using the center pull towels allows me to use normal steel plates 1/4" or 3/16". I did this back in the 60s on the old cartridge Fram filters to use TP. Frantz had a kit for that. I need to shop around and get as good a price as I can. I am using the elements to polish dirty fuel. I have a LF-500 bolted to a dolly that takes one Scott center pull element. I have the larger LF-750 housing that will take two elements. I will be bolting it on this weekend. My newest filter is made for Fleetguard by Nelson Filter Company. I like it because it is a little larger. That will leave a little room under the element so that I can use the drain.

Ralph
burnout.gif

I got the big LF-750 bolted up under the Ford. On the diesel the relief valve is in the filter mount instead of the filter. I installed a Perma-Cool remote mount adaper to replace the full flow filter. I had a couple of small ball valves that I screwed into the adapter. Then I ran two hoses to the LF-750 housing. I used a 3" nipple to connect a Perma-Cool remote filter mount to the outlet of the big filter. I screwed on a Motor Craft FL 1 A filter. On the center pull towels I tore the cores but I didn't remove them. I slid in a perforated tube to keep the paper from covering the outlet in the center tube. The elements are almost too long for the housing. The seal is made at the bottom of the housing and a nylatorn plate at the top. The newer LF-750s are a little larger and will be a little easier to deal with. A little cutting and welding and the big housing will be ready to go. It took 3.5 gallons of makeup oil. I was concerned that the big filter would take all the oil the pump could put out to fill the housing. The pressure came right up, then when it started dropping off I topped off the oil and ran it again until everything was full. The reason I installed a secondary filter is you are going to generate some small paper fibers tearing the center core. The spin on filter will make short work of any loose paper fibers. The Fleetguard element has a lot of paper dust. They put the secondary filter in the element center tube. The oil is beautiful but I will be sending a sample to Blackstone today. I will probably send in a sample every 6,000 miles or so. I expect the numbers to level off at a very low wear rate. The oil will never be drained.
I have always thought it would be good to find a big filter that was submicronic like TP and I have found it. Fifteen Motor Guards in parallel would be just as good but a little too expensive.

Ralph
burnout.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back