San Joaquin Valley, Agriculture, Water, and California

GON

$100 Site Donor 2024
-- please leave politics/ taxes/ regulations from this thread-- thanks in advance

Earlier this week I spent less than 24 hours working in San Joaquin Valley, California. Fruit trees, nut trees, vegetables, and fruits growing everywhere. I have been through this valley for work a few times in the past, and really enjoy driving around. Amazed how pleasant it is to see all the agriculture. Every shopping center/ strip mall I stopped at were all at full vacancy, with nice stores/ restaurants.

Many single-family homes in the valley seem nice on a macro basis. Some very nice homes were on very small rural lots, surrounded by orchards, etc. I sense the priority is to use the land for growing every possible tree, etc, and not to waste that opportunity to produce product over a larger rural single-family lot. Fresno Airport (FAT) is very easy airport to fly in/ out of. One can walk from baggage claim to pick up a rental car in seconds. I was surprised to see mainline full flights departing out of FAT after 9pm. On my drive back to FAT, I stopped at a roadside fruit stand and picked up some raspberries and blueberries for a late lunch. The berries were super fresh and very flavorful.

I have no idea what the quality of life for permanent residents of the valley is. Visually it looks awesome. I have never lived in California, but have worked all over the state, and I can see why California is a desired place to live for so many people and is the most populated state in the USA. No area is without issues/ problems- but there seems to be a lot to like in this valley.

I read a recent article about a proposal to send (by a to be built pipeline), fresh water from the state of Mississippi to support agriculture in California. The justification of the pipeline was that California produced a major quantity of produce consumed by Americans. My question, how much of the produce grown in the San Joaquin Valley (and other parts of California requiring intensive irrigation) could be grown in states east of the Mississippi River that would not require irrigation? My work travels to states like Mississippi, Michigan, Louisiana, Illinois, Pennsylvania, New York, and even states west of the Mississippi like Iowa and Minnesota, have ample unused agricultural land that may be able to be grow some of the same produce grown in California, but without the need of continual irrigation.

Just thinking out loud- why not grow crops in state with ample/ natural/ normal fresh water instead of California that does not have easy access to fresh water to grow crops.

Last edited:
Except for our desire of fresh fruit and vegetables year around, I too, wonder why we don't make our food production more local. Robert Rodale of Organic Gardening magazine proposed this decades ago.

Just thinking out loud- why not grow crops in state with ample/ natural/ normal fresh water instead of California that does not have easy access to fresh water to grow crops.
Man's drive to cast aside the shackles of nature and the confines of available resources is boundless. This is a critical part of our staggering success, while simultaneously, also why we have done so much to pollute our own planet.

Arrogance is your answer. Because we can. Same reason Las Vegas exists.

There's also a contradiction here (I am trying to avoid going too far into the weeds, but allow me this) with the ideological push to bring us "back to nature" (wind and solar) while simultaneously destroying it (extractive mining, shipping, covering massive areas of land with panels or mirrors...etc) and "conquering it"; that we can make ourselves beholden to the weather via sprawling industrial construct, while still maintaining the same standard and quality of efficiency, which has, thus far been an abject failure. But we are a stubborn lot.

It would seem that the obvious answer to California's lack of water would be to either:

A. Not farm where there isn't water
B. If we absolutely must do this because our ego demands it be so, use desalination so we aren't trying to draw-down limited water resources in other parts of the country.

If the high-value CA crops could be grown on land east of Miss. river they would be already. You have to give credit to enterprising individuals.

Should check out www.cadizwaterproject.com. Also, how can you talk water w/o talking politics?

Desalinization - read the reasons used for not building the Huntington Beach Poseidon water plant, including: It may flood during tsunami-level tidal surges. The answer: We'll build up the land. Response: Well, you may, but then you may not be able to drive to/from the plant because you didn't build up the roads around the plant.
Are you kidding me? As much as So Cal gets innundated about global warming and historic drought, you won't build a fresh water plant because there may be flooding?

Many years ago the wife and I stopped in Selma California and ate at the Pea Soup Anderson restaurant there. As I recall it looked like a German style building. There were fields all around but I don’t know what they were. The smell was something else.

We had a nice lunch and everything on the menu came with a cup of split pea soup. I had a delicious bacon cheeseburger with fries and of course the soup. The wife had fish and chips also with soup. It was all very good.

The agriculture was amazing. One thing about California back then was how certain crops were grown in certain locations. Starting north of the valley you have the olives in Corning for example. Back in the valley I think we saw miles of apricots or peaches. There were grape fields as well. Pretty much anything and everything can be grown there.

My question, how much of the produce grown in the San Joaquin Valley (and other parts of California requiring intensive irrigation) could be grown in states east of the Mississippi River that would not require irrigation? My work travels to states like Mississippi, Michigan, Louisiana, Illinois, Pennsylvania, New York, and even states west of the Mississippi like Iowa and Minnesota, have ample unused agricultural land that may be able to be grown some of the same produce grown in California, but without the need of continual irrigation.

300+ different crops are grown in the Central Valley. That diversity is 100% because of the Valley's climate. Most just won't grow anywhere else or, if they will, the economics don't support any farmer willingly putting them in the ground.

Can some things be done? Sure. Corn is grown in the Central Valley, mostly for cattle feed for dairy farms. Corn can grow anywhere and dairy farms can exist wherever there's corn. Expectations are that California dairy industry will shrink (or is shrinking already) as farmers are forced to stop plating corn.

I live here and thought about moving out of state after retiring, glad I didn't small town living is where it's at, don't get into the politics of all that or claim to have any answers, living a good life here, and no the sky isn't falling. :D
1657379949199.jpg

Except for our desire of fresh fruit and vegetables year around, I too, wonder why we don't make our food production more local. Robert Rodale of Organic Gardening magazine proposed this decades ago.

I grew up when vegetables and fruits had seasons. When they were not in season then they were not available. One had to buy canned or do the canning or freezing themselves. In a way it made us appreciate those things even more.

300+ different crops are grown in the Central Valley. That diversity is 100% because of the Valley's climate. Most just won't grow anywhere else or, if they will, the economics don't support any farmer willingly putting them in the ground.

Can some things be done? Sure. Corn is grown in the Central Valley, mostly for cattle feed for dairy farms. Corn can grow anywhere and dairy farms can exist wherever there's corn. Expectations are that California dairy industry will shrink (or is shrinking already) as farmers are forced to stop plating corn.
Mr H,

Very good points. Something from your reply really stuck out" economics don't support any farmer willingly putting them in the ground".

My late Great Grandfather farmed 240 acres. He farmed these acres since the late 1800s. He grew seven different crops annually, had multiple micro-orchards, raised cattle, hogs, and chickens. All on 240 acres. No irrigation. He was asked why "seven crops". His reply is crops fail, and with seven different crops annually, one could financially withstand a few of the crops failing. I don't think crop insurance was available and/or part of the way he ran the farm. The 240 acres is still farmed by our family. But only one crop per year (field corn or soybeans), the orchards were removed to increase land for corn and soybeans. My Great Grandfather for over 80 years of his life almost never left the farm. He had a farm to run that needed daily attention.

I believe ag consumes 80% of the water in CA. I've heard the almond crop is one of the worst "offenders".
I got rid of my lawns years ago; good riddance. Now if I could get rid of the golf courses... Ha!

Desalination is expensive, but with our draughts, it has been declared a key tool in any solution.

I have a friend that lives in Bakersfield. She lives in a nicer newer track of Bakersfield. Generally speaking-Bakersfield is a hole that is best visited by pumping your gasoline and then getting back on the highway.

I lived in So Cal for over 50 years and have traveled all over the state.

I can state facts and not opinions. The climate in Bakersfield in the summer is absolutely horrible-like living in an oven. Then you have the fog in other parts of the year that places a "grey cloud" over everything and is the most depressing picture to the mind.

This thread will be on a "short leash" and will be political-in no time.

Last edited:
I have a friend that lives in Bakersfield. She lives in a nicer newer track of Bakersfield. Generally speaking-Bakersfield is a hole that is best visited by pumping your gasoline and then getting back on the highway.

I can state facts and not opinions. The climate in Bakersfield in the summer is absolutely horrible-like living in an oven. Then you have the fog in other parts of the year that places a "grey cloud" over everything and is the most depressing picture to the mind.

I stay out of the Central Valley... It's the worst. In the Bay Area, you basically live outside, so a small house makes no matter. I love it here. Been to Los Gatos, by chance? By the way, I bought here at the bottom of the early mid 90's slowdown; I just got lucky.

I stay out of the Central Valley... It's the worst. In the Bay Area, you basically live outside, so a small house makes no matter. I love it here. Been to Los Gatos, by chance? By the way, I bought here at the bottom of the early mid 90's slowdown; I just got lucky.
I have been through there. It's a very nice area.

This will liven up your day.

Back