San Antonio Riverwalk

We will be going through San Antonio at the end of the month. The family wants to spend a little time at the Alamo and Riverwalk. We have not been there in about 10 years, and that was only for a short time. I'm wondering about the public parking nearby (I know we'll have to pay for it). Decent hotels are expensive on the Riverwalk, of course, and most of them charge for parking anyway. So, we were thinking of getting a hotel room out of the immediate area, and just using the public parking areas when we go to the Alamo and Riverwalk. Can anyone who has been there recently tell me if the parking areas are secure, and if you would recommend using them? Thanks!

I was just there in March for a week. I stayed at the Hilton right on the Riverwalk, I would recommend it but it is pricey, I believe it was around $250/night. Public parking was almost non-existent so I valet'd it, that was another $45-50/night. If this was on my dime, I probably would have looked a little harder at public parking. I walked the city (just the downtown area) that entire week and really didn't see much in the space of parking, but I also wasn't going out of my way looking for lots.

Is this going to be an adult or family themed trip?

Seems to me the river is recycled water from the sewage treatment plant; certainly a forward thinking strategy born from necessity; probably not what the family want to see, but I think if there were any tours on that process it might be interesting or a real turd.

Went there about 2.5 years ago. The boat ride took a long wait, the river walk was kind of crowded, parking we parked quite far away about 10 blocks I think, paid, got lucky it was public so it was not a ridiculous price. If it was valet I probably would look on Spot Hero to see if there's one nearby for a good price a few hours ahead.

It's definitely an enjoyable evening despite the crowd.

We were there about 5 years ago and loved the riverwalk. We stayed cheap out by the AFB and drove everywhere. Parking was expensive but available; all parking garages downtown.
We enjoyed the smaller National park churches South of Town a lot more than the Alamo. We started at the furthest and the kids get a little booklet to get stamped by the rangers at the other ones. The Alamo was honestly anticlimactic and touristy but you gotta see it. So you can remember it ;)
We enjoyed the food too. Lots of great outdoor dining, often with live music in the evening.
I'm not sure why we don't live there...

Last edited:
Seems to me the river is recycled water from the sewage treatment plant; certainly a forward thinking strategy born from necessity; probably not what the family want to see, but I think if there were any tours on that process it might be interesting or a real turd.

"That's not a river, that's a creek and it's a dirty creek!" - Charles Barkley

Today it's 100% sustainable. All passengers contribute to the propulsion of the vessel.
For a sec you had me thinking it’s powered by “ Re-Fired” beans! 😄

46B9EE97-EF21-4029-9AF8-CD4B3074C9C5.jpg

Back