April 8th 2024 total solar eclipse

There will be a viewing area at the Burlington VT airport with an entrance fee of $100.
Seems like a steep fee. Couldn't you just go to a park, cemetery, or other open land with a view of the sky, and watch for free?
$100 is crazy. Wherever you go make sure to stay away from street lights. In 2017 we went to a paid viewing area and the experience was ruined IMO by the street lights that came on during the eclipse. This time I plan to find a remote hiking trail or cemetery, although that seems a bit creepy.

Being at the begining part of April, there's a better chance of having an overcast sky. I am along the path of totallity but I am not getting too excited as of yet.

Last edited:
I'm lucky enough that this year, as in 2017, I'm within easy driving distance of the path. The morning of, I can look at the weather and head towards the area which might provide the best viewing, and not be tied down to where a motel room is.

The biggest issue that I ran into in 2017, was the traffic afterwards. People trickle in for several hours prior to the eclipse... but then they all wanted to leave as soon as it was over, and they were too stubborn to get off of the interstates when they turned into parking lots. The end result was traffic jams for miles. The key was to get off of the interstate, get away from the interstate by several miles (people were then trying to find any roads that ran within a couple of miles along the interstates) and to get on two lane county highways. Yes, it takes more effort, but the end result was more than worth it.

In 2017, lots of people flooded into Carbondale, IL to view the eclipse. They were treated with cloudiness at the peak of the eclipse, and couldn't get out of town afterwards due to massive traffic jams, and then were treated to a massive traffic jam on I-57.

Qk7767EcrBw2GJEw.jpg

Supposedly our job site is closing for the eclipse. We shall see. The job site is in the path, but my house isn’t. Hoping to work until at least 3 so I can be in it and hopefully see it from the roof.

If I’m home at that time, I won’t leave. Once I am home, I stay home. Lol

My girlfriend lives in Stoney Creek, Ontario, which is only a half hour away from Niagara Falls and is also in the path of totality. I will already be there on Monday so we won't have to drive anywhere to see the eclipse, we will just walk to the park near her house and view it there and not have to worry about fighting the traffic. The forecast is calling for a mix of sun and clouds so it sounds like the weather is going to cooperate with us :cool:

There will be a viewing area at the Burlington VT airport with an entrance fee of $100.
Seems like a steep fee. Couldn't you just go to a park, cemetery, or other open land with a view of the sky, and watch for free?
Everyone will be parking everywhere and traffic rough.

Thanks! I'm just an ant on an ant hill in this giant solar system we're in. I was just showing off my SCHMARTNESS that's way above my paygrade. 🤪
Well, my sign is Cancer - and once again with stitches in my head - I’m starting to get the solar part 😎

Everyone will be parking everywhere and traffic rough.
I’m working at a college campus right now and I was told they were expecting ~3000 visitors.

I’m hoping to get off early now and am perfectly content with chilling in my yard with my dogs and a beer during darkness.

It is better when you have to pay to look at the Sun.

I'm in about a 80% area and they are predicting 20-30% cloud cover for the day. Me and the cats are going to sit outside out of the wind and have good time. Be looking for Planet X!

Last eclipse, Granddaughter and I took a road trip to Missouri. I made a test run before and found a spot. Took an old highway that had weeds growing up. Then to a deserted dirt road. No cities or lights in site. Nice spot and we were the only ones there.

Packed my Weber Smokie Joe and charcoal. Had steaks, sea food, veggies and potatoes, Heck of a meal in the middle of nowhere.

We were just finishing eating when the total eclipse occurred. Birds went to bed, crickets started chirping and the fire flies lite up.
We still talk about it now and then. Only lasted a couple minutes, but it was great.

Back