Sams Club's new Prime Series motor oil

Originally Posted by bityw
Dexos license # goes back to Amalie.

[Linked Image]

And that container design is Amalie too !

Good job on your part matching the Dexos approval
smile.gif

This is the 5w30 Synblend variety. For your viewing pleasure... FWIW: I just got a couple cases of this for the Matrix and the Sienna. $1.75/quart -might as well give it a go and see how it compares to the Milesyn I've been running for the past few years.

Ray

P1020691.JPG

P1020689.JPG

P1020692.JPG

Originally Posted by bbhero

[Linked Image]

smile.gif

You have to read the "fine print" to see the Dexos certification. Usually it's on the front of the container.

A local Mom and Pop conv. store here in my area buys the Sam's Prime conventional oil qt. sizes (appears to be Amalie) in several weights and sells it for $3.00 per qt.
Not a bad price considering the large chain conv. stores in this area sell their brand of conventional oil in qt. sizes for $6.00 per qt. or so

Originally Posted by Electromotive
A local Mom and Pop conv. store here in my area buys the Sam's Prime conventional oil qt. sizes (appears to be Amalie) in several weights and sells it for $3.00 per qt.
Not a bad price considering the large chain conv. stores in this area sell their brand of conventional oil in qt. sizes for $6.00 per qt. or so

This is a lot better price then auto parts stores selling equal quality motor oil for 3X the price.

The Costco here used to have other choices of oil besides Mobil 1, they used to carry the regular Rotella T4 15w40, they did have a closeout on Formula Shell that I scored 2 cases of 10w30 for cheap to use in the lawnmower but all they stock anymore is the Mobil 1.

Originally Posted by bbhero

[Linked Image]

smile.gif

http://msds.walmartstores.com
It sure is Amalie. Just put the upc code in and it pulls up the Amalie MSDS.

Not to defend this oil, but one sample, that shows the oil meets the acceptable ranges for its api specs does not make an oil look bad. I would like to see it's Dexos spec oil as 5 w20 is in limp mode as a choice anymore.

Originally Posted by PowerSurge
Originally Posted by ka9mnx
Originally Posted by jsr1947
http://pqiadata.org/Prime_5W20.html

Thanks for the link.
Very under impressing oil.

Agreed. It's fine for a lawnmower, but I wouldn't put that oil in any of my cars. Better off choosing SuperTech.

Originally Posted by PowerSurge
Originally Posted by ka9mnx
Originally Posted by jsr1947
http://pqiadata.org/Prime_5W20.html

Thanks for the link.
Very under impressing oil.

Agreed. It's fine for a lawnmower, but I wouldn't put that oil in any of my cars. Better off choosing SuperTech.

It isn't quite as good as the Kirkland/Costco deal, but the 6/1qt box of Prime Series Full Synthetic (not the usual "Synblend") is now $16 down from $20.

[Linked Image]

prime.jpg

I have a 2014 ATS 2.0T with 65k miles. Was wondering you guys' thoughts on this oil (5w/30 prime in the photos above) with 5-6k intervals. I'm not up to speed s on all the tech talk concerning oils as far as what additive does what/means what, etc etc, so that's why I'm asking.
Are there any oils that are really and truly "better" for turbos, (that meet the D1G2 spec I need) or is any oil that meets the GM spec all right? I'm not one who normally looks to do extended drain intervals. I used M1 for the past couple of years (since purchase) and then I heard it "sheers" off too easily, or something like that so I started using Valvoline synpower. What are you guys' suggested oils for my application? Anyway, thanks for any insight.

p.s. most of my driving is relegated to around town....not much highway traveling and I do like to hot-rod it a bit, lol.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Dd3
I have a 2014 ATS 2.0T with 65k miles. Was wondering you guys' thoughts on this oil (5w/30 prime in the photos above) with 5-6k intervals. I'm not up to speed s on all the tech talk concerning oils as far as what additive does what/means what, etc etc, so that's why I'm asking.
Are there any oils that are really and truly "better" for turbos, (that meet the D1G2 spec I need) or is any oil that meets the GM spec all right? I'm not one who normally looks to do extended drain intervals. I used M1 for the past couple of years (since purchase) and then I heard it "sheers" off too easily, or something like that so I started using Valvoline synpower. What are you guys' suggested oils for my application? Anyway, thanks for any insight.

p.s. most of my driving is relegated to around town....not much highway traveling and I do like to hot-rod it a bit, lol.

I would just stay with the Mobil 1

Back