Safety glasses with Eye Glasses

I've been stupid for too long not wearing safety glasses. I wear regular glasses but still that's no substitute. For glass wearers how do you handle safety glasses? I'm going to stop by Sam's this week maybe just get a prescription pair, they had some when I got my last pair and I almost got a set. Figured they would even come in handy on the bike.

It's been a miserable couple weeks. Not sure if I have something in my eye from working on the parents vehicles or if it's just allergies. Second time in my life this has happened.

I don’t do a lot that needs safety, so a cheap pair that slip on over my prescription glasses work well enough for me.

Some year it’d be nice to have glasses for bike riding, been too cheap to do that.

If your eye(s) are bothering you, it might be best to go in for a visit. One’s eyes are a bit precious and all. I had some thing really awful a couple years ago, my primary care physician thought it bad enough to get me into the optometrist immediately. Turns it out it was trivial, few eye drops and all was fine—but it was kinda miserable until then.

Not sure if I have something in my eye from working on the parents vehicles or if it's just allergies. Second time in my life this has happened.
Better have your eye inspected. A particle may have embedded itself into the cornea. You would not want to get an ulcerated cornea which could lead to permanent damage and affect your vision. You could also have developed a cyst on the conjunctiva of the eyelids or on the eyeball due to irritation caused by a foreign body that may or may not still be present.

It really depends on the type of protection you want. If you're working with liquids, like battery acid, you'd want splash goggles. If your working with vapors, those splash googles would prob be ok. If you're looking for impact protection, you might want something else.
Impact glasses with clip on side shields are also available, but might not serve your purpose.
These also the full face shield option,

I wear safety glasses (or safety goggles) over my prescription glasses. My prescription lenses themselves are almost unbreakable. [I say almost because nothing is completely unbreakable.] If I'm doing something where there is a lot of debris falling on me or flying I wear a face shield.

I had a patient lose an eye over a steel shard that flew into his eye when he was hammering on a snowmobile ski. The steel shard was embedded in his retina and started causing problems decades later. So protecting your eyes from flying debris is really important.

I've got a prescription set of glasses from Walmart that almost look cool! They were $156 for bifocals but work reimbursed most of that. If that's too rich for you I once got some nasty nerdy aviator styles with coke bottle lenses and side shields for $29 that meet ANSI Z.87.

Wearing a second set of lenses over prescription glasses adds reflections so I try to do it right.

Safety glasses over prescription glasses here. You can ruin Rx glasses with a splash of brake clean since lenses are plastic. I also have a backup Rx glasses, Costco has deals now and again on two pairs. I can change safety glasses cheaper than Rx.

While I nortmally don't wear glasses other than sunglasses, I may wear safety glasses over reading glasses that serve as magnifiers when doing close-up SMD soldering or when I'm working with rotary bits on small projects. The more air/lens surfaces there are, the more the view becomes degraded and reflections become a problem. Sometimes I find it preferable to set up a Lexan shield on a flexible arm between my face and the project. And I like to set up two lights that illuminate the project without causing glare and reflections.

Yeah I'm going to find a eye doc next week and get it looked at. Haven't been to one those for years beyond the basic exams for years.

Sounds like prescription's are the majority and the best way to go. Probably not good for everything but good enough for basic tasks, grinding and keeping wire pieces out. Funny mentioning full face shields, we have a ton of those from the "C" era. Why didn't I think of grabbing those. duh! I'll never say I'm not air head at times.

I work at a rice mill. It can be very dusty and hulls blow around alot. I have to wear safety glasses often. We're supposed to wear our prescription glasses under them but I can't see anything if I do that. Thankfully if I don't have to read or do fine work I can get along with just the safety glasses. If I have to have them I switch to my glasses. Less than ideal I know but it's all I can figure out. Prescription safety glasses are the way to go but our company won't spring for them

we use these at work for visitors. They work, but I would consider prescription safety glasses if you can.

Amazon Link

Just my $0.02
Stopped by Sam's last night, got to say the good safety glasses are ugly. I'm ugly enough the way it is. They didn't have a big selection either. The ones with side protection was the best but it seems most of the time any debris comes from underneath. I'll keep looking for prescriptions but going to order these in the meantime. 3 would be good, truck, tool box and house because I won't remember otherwise.

GREAT THREAD

I now must wear corrective lenses for anything fine focus at about arms length. I too have the Amazon kind in the link. They work, but bump into my progressive occupational glasses, plus the double earpiece with a mask and ear protection is awkward at best. I was looking for the old fashion bubble with a strap type we had in the 1970's! Cannot find.

Will try: https://www.amazon.com/NoCry-Resistant-Panoramic-Resistance-Certified/dp/B08Y5JTKMQ

And: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0001YXFFM

Interesting a nice Japanese lady got a damaged eye in pickleball - no safety glasses. I bought these after getting a huge welt then bruise right on my bicep. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09FPTSSK5
Of course I don't need my glasses when I play, tried that once. Terrible. In the summer I wear safety sunglasses.

Yeah I'm going to find a eye doc next week and get it looked at. Haven't been to one those for years beyond the basic exams for years.

Sounds like prescription's are the majority and the best way to go. Probably not good for everything but good enough for basic tasks, grinding and keeping wire pieces out. Funny mentioning full face shields, we have a ton of those from the "C" era. Why didn't I think of grabbing those. duh! I'll never say I'm not air head at times.
The full face shields we're referencing are much thicker than the typical face shields from the "C" era.

Most of us use prescription glasses because we wear glasses anyway. If you don't need to wear glasses ordinarily I don't think I'd suggest getting a set of prescription lenses just for safety wear My prescription lenses are polycarbonate which is quite thin (ie light weight), fairly UV resistant and very tough. And anyway you need side protection for safety glasses which doesn't come with most "normal" glasses. That's where true safety glasses and/or face shields come in.

Finally if there is lots of metal flying around you'll get dings in your lenses, and you'll scratch them when you clean them, so you'll want to replace them periodically anyway. Another reason to go with true safety glasses which will be much less costly. Be sure to look for NIOSH/ANSI etc certification.

Stopped by Sam's last night, got to say the good safety glasses are ugly. I'm ugly enough the way it is. They didn't have a big selection either. The ones with side protection was the best but it seems most of the time any debris comes from underneath. I'll keep looking for prescriptions but going to order these in the meantime. 3 would be good, truck, tool box and house because I won't remember otherwise.
Polycarbonate prescription lenses in typical eyeglass frames would cost at least $500. With progressive lenses, miscellaneous coatings, and titanium frames more like $1000. I like nice frames so mine cost more like $1200. Anyway, expensive.

So if I was buying 3 pairs of safety wear glasses I'd go with generic ones.

Back