Sachertorte

Let me preface this by saying I don't like the combination of jam and chocolate. Makes me shudder. Sachertorte is gross. It's essentially a layered spongecake with apricot jam between the layers, glazed first with apricot jam, then glazed not with just chocolate but with a mix of sugar syrup and chocolate. While I can't stand this stuff., I do know how to make it and I was asked to make one for a special occasion. Here it is, all 6 pounds of it. There are 16 eggs in this 14" diameter monstrosity. Since I'm going to hand it over in one piece I can't show you how it looks once it's been cut. Maybe the recipient will take a sweet picture for me that I can share. The dead soldier (Erdinger Pikantus) you can see behind the monster got me through the process. The torte is still dripping a little of the glaze in the picture. It will set after a few hours.

Last edited:
When I saw your cake it made me think of when I was a kid my Mom would bake a chocolate layer cake using yellow cake mix and Hersheys Cocoa. Very simple but I remember it being delicious!

Let me preface this by saying I don't like the combination of jam and chocolate. Makes me shudder. Sachertorte is gross. It's essentially a layered spongecake with apricot jam between the layers, glazed first with apricot jam, then glazed not with just chocolate but with a mix of sugar syrup and chocolate. While I can't stand this stuff., I do know how to make it and I was asked to make one for a special occasion. Here it is, all 6 pounds of it. There are 16 eggs in this 14" diameter monstrosity. Since I'm going to hand it over in one piece I can't show you how it looks once it's been cut. Maybe the recipient will take a sweet picture for me that I can share. The dead soldier (Erdinger Pikantus) you can see behind the monster got me through the process. The torte is still dripping a little of the glaze in the picture. It will set after a few hours.

I'll take a nice thick slice please! Would wash that down with a nice glass of cold milk.:)

Man nothing better than a dark chocolate fudge cake. :love:
chocolate-cake-5-600x900.jpg

Let's practice:

glucose
hognose
overdose
prognose
comatose
sclerose
venose
thrombose
decompose

Wrong thread? Maybe it's time to buy a one-way ticket to Switzerland.

Last edited:

The original SacherTorte had NO glaze nor jam and is still THE best!
There are variations with jam, but they ought to be called something else. Here's the Original Recipe.
Cake
130 g
dark couverture chocolate (min. 55% cocoa content)
Vanilla Pod
150 g
softened butter
100g
Icing sugar
Eggs
100 g
Castor sugar
140 g
Plain wheat flour

The original SacherTorte had NO glaze nor jam and is still THE best!
There are variations with jam, but they ought to be called something else. Here's the Original Recipe.
Cake
130 g
dark couverture chocolate (min. 55% cocoa content)
Vanilla Pod
150 g
softened butter
100g
Icing sugar
Eggs
100 g
Castor sugar
140 g
Plain wheat flour
Only thing I understand on that recipe is 6 eggs...LOL!

I'm from the USA and don't do metrics. No offence intended.;)

I was sent this picture 15 minutes after dropping off the offensive thing. Paw prints all over. Poor cutting technique/bad blade. Apparently, it's going fast.

Last edited:
Vavoriromba - it does LOOK good. And a star baker too. Impressive.
It's positively disgusting. I made it a four-layer instead of the supposed two-layer confection. I also used strawberry jam per request. Not that it matters to me, I can't abide the combination of chocolate and any jam. I just thought it was a funny looking thing.

It's positively disgusting. I made it a four-layer instead of the supposed two-layer confection. I also used strawberry jam per request. Not that it matters to me, I can't abide the combination of chocolate and any jam. I just thought it was a funny looking thing.
Strawberry? Yes. Disgusting.

Now a kumquat marmalade and we are talking.

Back