Russian Airbus A320 lands in field.

Another article states it was a failure with the "green hydraulics system". Can anyone clarify what a green system is?

Will they be able to take off? Taking the plane apart would be rather time consuming. I could never be a pilot.

We are flexible with both our landing time and location. Takeoffs might be harder.
Like the old Grey Hound bus line, they will stop and pick you up from the side of the road and drop you off where ever you ask them to.

Another article states it was a failure with the "green hydraulics system". Can anyone clarify what a green system is?
The Airbus A320 has three, totally independent ( own fluid ), 3000 PSI hydrauic systems.

Green, Blue and yellow.

The aircraft can fly as long as it has at least one system.

Losing a single system is no big deal ( losing two is a mayday, serious problem but manageable ).

Losing just the green system would require slightly more runway and would result in the loss of some spoilers ( deploy after landing to kill lift ), nose wheel steering, reverse thrust number one engine and require manual landing gear extension.

Unless there is more to the story, sounds like poor judgment and gross incompetence without exaggerating.

Will they be able to take off? Taking the plane apart would be rather time consuming. I could never be a pilot.
The article states the plane is being "disassembled "

"A video on social media showed a heavy digger then dismembering the plane, lopping off the cockpit, tail and wings to more easily remove the plane from the field."

Last edited:
How else would it be removed. They're not meant to be stuck in soft soils. Trying to tow it out will damage it pretty badly. Disassembling it is pretty much the only way to get it out.
I don't disagree. I'm just saying it's a waste of a modern western aircraft. They made the decision to turn it into beer cans and start doing so in less than a day. Not a lot of time to consider their options.

Curious at what point on the flight they decided to divert ( cruise to original destination or after aircraft configured for landing ).

What could have contributed to the pilots miscalculating the “ burn” to the final airport would be if the gear was stuck down ( if lose green with gear down, it cannot be retracted ) or one of the flight spoilers started to extend up on the wing ( increased drag ) causing an increase in fuel burn.

The fuel penalty for spoiler 5 ( one possibly involved with the loss of green ) up extended is 10% higher burn and if the gear is stuck down it’s 180% more fuel.

Heard one story where it diverted after a go around.

I don't disagree. I'm just saying it's a waste of a modern western aircraft. They made the decision to turn it into beer cans and start doing so in less than a day. Not a lot of time to consider their options.

You are not wrong and I bet that wouldn’t have happened without the sanctions in place. There is a good chance it’s to generate parts.

Since they invaded Ukraine, they have had no access to foreign parts or sources for any western-built aircraft. Aviation experts have been predicting the steady decay of their airline fleet. It’s probably worth a whole lot more as parts for other hulls in Russia vs. the cost of recovery and repair.

Green is left system, driven by a left engine pump.

Yellow is right system, driven by a right engine pump.

Blue is backup/center driven by an electric pump - flight controls only.

Green operates a lot of things on the A320. Landing gear. Brakes. Nosewheel steering. Left engine reverser. Some flight controls.

Edit - missed the replies from @Just a civilian pilot - he flies the airplane. I’m relying on memory of an airplane from ten years ago. So, if there is a difference between our posts, trust him.

Back