Running Injector Cleaner ever tank?

Purchased a gallon size Lucas upper cylinder injector cleaner....the price per 4oz is super cheap.

Any thoughts on running 4oz every tank (or at least most or >50% of the time)?
Any downsides?

The gallon size container for me would last years...so the $/fill up is silly cheap.

What problem are you trying solve by adding this stuff? Seems like a hassle to dose out and add to the tank at every fill up. And that's assuming it actually does anything you will ever feel or notice.

This stuff? The "Tune-up in a bottle" label would make me run.

Lucas-Upper-Cylinder-Lubricant-Fuel-Treatment-Group-1.jpg

Fuel cleaners containing PEA can cause varnish if they're used too often between oil changes. I don't think this stuff contains PEA, but Lucas doesn't disclose the ingredients, and it's possible that other types of additive could also cause issues if you use too much too often.

It could be beneficial or it could do more harm than good. It really comes down to how much you trust Lucas.

"Injector Cleaners" can't really clean injectors. Gasoline already does that very well. If one or more injectors are partially clogged an no longer spray correctly, drop gasoline, or leak, no amount of "Magic Cleaner in A Bottle" will fix them. The only ones that I use, recommend, and do something, are those products that contain a high concentration of PEA, because those can break down carbon deposits inside the combustion chamber, possibly rings. Some of these products are Chevron Techron Concentrate (1 quart bottle) and Red Lin SI-1.

"Injector Cleaners" can't really clean injectors. Gasoline already does that very well. If one or more injectors are partially clogged an no longer spray correctly, drop gasoline, or leak, no amount of "Magic Cleaner in A Bottle" will fix them. The only ones that I use, recommend, and do something, are those products that contain a high concentration of PEA, because those can break down carbon deposits inside the combustion chamber, possibly rings. Some of these products are Chevron Techron Concentrate (1 quart bottle) and Red Lin SI-1.

Yes my question isnt just pertaining to injector cleaning properties -- other benefits such as a light amount of oil in the long run that will help reduce cylinder wall, keeping carbon under management etc?

I'll just mention I buy the Lucas gallons by the case.
I started when a friend who was very familiar with diesel tractors suggested the stuff. My complaint was the rpms at full throttle on my small T1030 New Holland had gone down. He was correct .......... I gained several hundred rpms with the Lucas treatment.

Yes my question isnt just pertaining to injector cleaning properties -- other benefits such as a light amount of oil in the long run that will help reduce cylinder wall, keeping carbon under management etc?
Oil going into the combustion chamber through the PCV system or through the injectors promotes carbon deposits, it doesn't prevent them from forming. If you can, return the Lucas, and if you have an oil consumption problem, start by changing the PCV valve, install a catch can, run a couple of quarts of Techron Concentrate (you can buy it at NAPA, use 1 quart per tank), and keep an eye on the oil consumption. If the cylinder walls aren't scored, the oil consumption should come down as your combustion chamber and rings clean up.

Lucas Upper Cylinder Lubricant doesn't do anything, it can't even burn on its own. It's just lubricating oil sold at a premium. If someone from Lucas wants to provide some concrete data and prove me wrong, this is the place to do it.

I'll just mention I buy the Lucas gallons by the case.
I started when a friend who was very familiar with diesel tractors suggested the stuff. My complaint was the rpms at full throttle on my small T1030 New Holland had gone down. He was correct .......... I gained several hundred rpms with the Lucas treatment.
Some Diesel engine designs relied on the Sulfur in the fuel for some amount of lubrication. Lubricating oil, which is what the Lucas product in question is, might help with that. It won't do anything for gasoline engines, except clean the owner's wallet.

Oil going into the combustion chamber through the PCV system or through the injectors promotes carbon deposits, it doesn't prevent them from forming. If you can, return the Lucas, and if you have an oil consumption problem, start by changing the PCV valve, install a catch can, run a couple of quarts of Techron Concentrate (you can buy it at NAPA, use 1 quart per tank), and keep an eye on the oil consumption. If the cylinder walls aren't scored, the oil consumption should come down as your combustion chamber and rings clean up.

Lucas Upper Cylinder Lubricant doesn't do anything, it can't even burn on its own. It's just lubricating oil sold at a premium. If someone from Lucas wants to provide some concrete data and prove me wrong, this is the place to do it.
I have zero engine issues. Im just doing it entirely as preventative and wanted thoughts on that. This is NOT trying to resolve any issues. Purely preventative.

I have zero engine issues. Im just doing it entirely as preventative and wanted thoughts on that. This is NOT trying to resolve any issues. Purely preventative.
Then don't worry about and don't do it. Return it, and just do normal maintenance.

Back