Running a two stroke at 60:1 or 70:1

I would NEVER run anything beyond 50:1. In fact I run all of my 50:1 equipment at no more than 40:1. My chainsaws and hedge trimmer I run at 25:1 to 32:1 depending.

Most landscapers will not run lean mixtures either. Most stick to no less than 40:1. The people who brought you these ultra lean 2-stroke fuel mixtures, are in the same camp as all this 0W-16 ultra thin oils.

Most of it is in some way connected to government exhaust emissions, the way thin oil is connected to fuel mileage demands. Most small engine repairmen will tell you to stay away from anything over 50:1. Spark plugs are cheap. New engines are not.
Huh?

You can do what you want. But the rest you just pulled out of your 3rd hole.

Many many landscapers run 64:1 to 100:1 "Most" do not stick with 40:1.

Same camp? For sure you just made that up. I run 0W-30 in anything calling for XW-20 or lower.

50:1? "most" again. Amsoil and then Opti and others were 100:1 long before .gov was saying much

I've asked every landscaper I've used in the last 20 years out here what type of mix they run. (Yeah like most BITOG posters, I'm into that kind of stuff).

None of them have told me they ever used anything above 40:1. Especially out here, with their equipment running all day in temperatures that are well into 3 digits.

.........Many many landscapers run 64:1 to 100:1 "Most" do not stick with 40:1....... Same camp? For sure you just made that up. I run 0W-30 in anything calling for XW-20 or lower. 50:1? "most" again. Amsoil and then Opti and others were 100:1 long before .gov was saying much

"High ratios such as 100 to 1 are usually environmental reasons, such as for outboard motors. The exhaust of an outboard motor goes directly into the water, and environmentalists are worried about the oil in the mix polluting the lakes and rivers."

"Our advice is to buy a quality oil and run it at a moderate ratio. We’ve used 32:1 for many years. In race bikes that are ridden hard, we might go a trifle richer at say … 28:1. For a trail bike, 40:1 would be the way to go, assuming that you used a quality oil."

"The higher the engine RPM, the more oil they ran in the fuel. (e.g.: a 125cc machine that routinely lived in the 10,000 - 13,500 RPM range ran 20:1 or 24:1. The 250cc engines that ran between 6,500 and 9,000 RPM ran 32:1 or 40:1, and the Open Class machines (251cc and up by AMA, but they were all 400+cc engines, usually 465s, 490s, or 500cc) ran 50:1."

You want to run 100:1? Be my guest.

I've asked every landscaper I've used in the last 20 years out here what type of mix they run. (Yeah like most BITOG posters, I'm into that kind of stuff).

None of them have told me they ever used anything above 40:1. Especially out here, with their equipment running all day in temperatures that are well into 3 digits.
Fair enough. If your guys are using standard lower cost oils in heat then for sure over 40:1 may be too lean.

"High ratios such as 100 to 1 are usually environmental reasons, such as for outboard motors. The exhaust of an outboard motor goes directly into the water, and environmentalists are worried about the oil in the mix polluting the lakes and rivers."

"Our advice is to buy a quality oil and run it at a moderate ratio. We’ve used 32:1 for many years. In race bikes that are ridden hard, we might go a trifle richer at say … 28:1. For a trail bike, 40:1 would be the way to go, assuming that you used a quality oil."

"The higher the engine RPM, the more oil they ran in the fuel. (e.g.: a 125cc machine that routinely lived in the 10,000 - 13,500 RPM range ran 20:1 or 24:1. The 250cc engines that ran between 6,500 and 9,000 RPM ran 32:1 or 40:1, and the Open Class machines (251cc and up by AMA, but they were all 400+cc engines, usually 465s, 490s, or 500cc) ran 50:1."

You want to run 100:1? Be my guest.
Originally it wasn't gov. But yeah, nice pristine lakes with 2T oil? I'm not gov fan, but I also worry about oil in lakes and streams. I do like that some oil companies were ahead of that curve.

Quality oils designed to used at 50:1 to 100:1 are just not scary as you imply. And yes even some racers use 50:1. I am certainly not advocating screaming race small two stroke engines using OPE oils at 100:1.

The article is correct for sure, if you change your oil ratio then most likely you need to adjust your fuel:air ratio too. That said comparing to low viscosity advocating people to higher ratio people, doesn't hold water at the user level.

My Chinese 55 CC, 20" chainsaw. We all know just how concerned the Chinese are about the environment.

unLjKhg.jpg

At the end of the day, I generally opt to just use the oil ratio the manufacturer specifies absent a compelling reason otherwise.

Bear in mind that changing oil ratios also changes the fuel/air ratio, and not by an insignificant amount. Since the oil vaporizes less readily, using more oil results in a leaner mixture. If the carb is adjustable, you might be able to tune it out but you might not get it where it should be without rejetting. A lot of stuff now is just not adjustable.

Leaner air/fuel mixtures burn hotter, which isn't great for engine health either.

So, at the end of the day, again I use what they say to use. My Lawn Boys say 32:1 on them, and I give them 32:1. My Echo trimmer and some of my other stuff say 50:1, and they get 50:1.

Back