Running 5W-50 in Ford engines instead of 5W-20 / 5W-30?

I run 5W50 in my 2014 but it is a Track Pack which calls for 5W50. Internally the engine is the same as a GT, but it has an oil cooler, larger radiator, and overheat protection turned off in the PCM.

Originally Posted by bdcardinal
I run 5W50 in my 2014 but it is a Track Pack which calls for 5W50. Internally the engine is the same as a GT, but it has an oil cooler, larger radiator, and overheat protection turned off in the PCM.

Yup, no oiling changes....so safe to run the 5w-50 in the GT as well.

NO need for motor honey if you aren't heating the oil in a motorsports scenario

I'll pass you on the street race BC I will have less power loss going into shearing that overly viscous oil.

I cant believe this stuff on this forum.

I might understand no 5w20 - but an eight qt sump and a 50?

C'Mon!

Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite
NO need for motor honey if you aren't heating the oil in a motorsports scenario

I'll pass you on the street race BC I will have less power loss going into shearing that overly viscous oil.

I cant believe this stuff on this forum.

I might understand no 5w20 - but an eight qt sump and a 50?

C'Mon!

I don't believe anyone said 5w-50 was the best choice, but that it could be run and wouldn't cause harm.

Is timing chain stretch an issue on the rear wheel drive 3.7 Duratec in the F150? And if so, should I switch to 5W30 in my 2012 F150? Ive been running Rotella gas truck 5W20 with no issues, not a fan of 20 grade oils but was concerned of improper cam phaser operation with 30 grade oils. If it wont cause any harm, Ill start using 5W30.

Originally Posted by mobilaltima
Is timing chain stretch an issue on the rear wheel drive 3.7 Duratec in the F150? And if so, should I switch to 5W30 in my 2012 F150? Ive been running Rotella gas truck 5W20 with no issues, not a fan of 20 grade oils but was concerned of improper cam phaser operation with 30 grade oils. If it wont cause any harm, Ill start using 5W30.

There will be no issues running a 5/10W-30 in your truck. The typical 5/10W-30 is on the thin side of the 30 range anyway.

I am not an oil scientist but if 5w20/30 is good enough for turbo bearings.. how would it not be good enough for water pump bearings?

One is tens of thousand rpm, the other is below 6000 rpm .

The turbo spins at around 300K rpm when you're giving it boost at around 2000 engine RPM. No ILSAC oil should be run in any of these engines because the Turbo cooks the oil, and most of these crappy ILSAC oils are Group III petroleum or GTL based. If you want your turbos and your engine to last as a whole, then you need a good PAO/Ester (most high-end oils like Red Line Oil or AMSOIL are a blend) to withstand the heat while holding on to the additives and resisting fuel dilution. Or you can run Castrol EDGE 0W-40 which is PAO+Group III and is cheaper than most high-end ILSAC oils, but it won't be as good as AMSOIL or Red Line Oil.

We should be seeing mass failures of turbocharged vehicles running on ILSAC 5w30.

But we are not.

You're absolutely right and spot-on, however, the life of the turbo is shortened. Also, if everyone was towing heavy loads on ILSAC 5W-30 oil with their EcoBoost powered F150s, those failures would be more prevalent. I like to keep my engines alive for a long time, and in fact, I was actually looking at the F150 withe 2.7 EB trucks, they are priced okay, especially used. I would run a decent 0W-40 in one of those, which isn't too far from a 5W-30. Heck, some 0W-40 could be classified as 5W-30 oils with no problems. I guess the correct way to put it is: always use the right oil for your application. And I have to admit, I'm not a fan of ILSAC oils, not so much because of their viscosity, but because most of them are Group III petroleum-based and they can't stand up to high heat. One notable exception might be the M1 EP 0W-20, that oil is pretty **** good.

Technically this is incorrect as protection mode does still exist. It is raised from 120C to 150C Oil Temp.

Also the ECM parameters for the VCT response curves are different. However I can't really tell a difference in performance with the 5W-20 curves and 5W-50 curves. My Drag and Street Tunes both use the 20 Grade curves and my Track Tune uses a 50 Grade Curve. I've swapped them with different oil in the pan and can't really tell the difference.

The turbo spins at around 300K rpm when you're giving it boost at around 2000 engine RPM. No ILSAC oil should be run in any of these engines because the Turbo cooks the oil, and most of these crappy ILSAC oils are Group III petroleum or GTL based. If you want your turbos and your engine to last as a whole, then you need a good PAO/Ester (most high-end oils like Red Line Oil or AMSOIL are a blend) to withstand the heat while holding on to the additives and resisting fuel dilution. Or you can run Castrol EDGE 0W-40 which is PAO+Group III and is cheaper than most high-end ILSAC oils, but it won't be as good as AMSOIL or Red Line Oil.

if by 300k you mean 100-120k you would be correct

if by 300k you mean 100-120k you would be correct

Doesn't it actually depend on the size of the turbo and how it's set up? For example, a turbocharger on a big truck diesel engine doesn't need to spin as much as on a gasoline engine to create 25 PSI of boost. I've been reading different things over the years as far as turbocharged gasoline engines are concerned, so I assumed a worst-case scenario. If you do a quick Google search you will find various results from various sources that say different things.

With a large viscosity spread like a 5W-50, oil companies use a lot of VI's to get that range. For a number of years I had a 2012 Boss 302 Mustang and it specified 5W-50. Found a person on another site who had developed quite a database of how resistant or not a large number of oils were to shearing in both the coyote v8 and the older modular v8's. Interestingly, his data, derived by a LOT of oil analysis, showed that any 5W-50 will shear down to an effective 30 weight in around 1000 miles. As I recall, he checked the Motorcraft variant of that viscosity, as well as the Mobil 1 and, Amsoil. All had sheared to an effective 30 weight in around 1000 miles.
The oil he found that did not show any appreciable shear, in those two engines at least, was Amsoil's SS 10W-30. It was his contention that Amsoil's SS 10W30 was essentially straight PAO 30 weight which due to it's cold flow ability, also met the requirements of a 10W-30.

I guess if you were to track a vehicle, fresh 5W-50 would be a good choice, as the oil would be drained after each event. I also read somewhere else that Ford racing allegedly used/uses a 10W-30 in the mustangs they campaigned, though I don't know the veracity of that.

And for a personal data point, I had an oil pressure gauge on the Boss, and with 5W50, cold (even 60 degree ambient) starts resulted in initial oil pressure of 110 psi, which lowered to the mid 30's when fully warm at idle. When I began using the Amsoil SS 10W-30, cold start oil pressure still spiked to almost 90 psi, and settled down to the same warm idle pressure as the 5W-50 of mid 30's.

With a large viscosity spread like a 5W-50, oil companies use a lot of VI's to get that range. For a number of years I had a 2012 Boss 302 Mustang and it specified 5W-50. Found a person on another site who had developed quite a database of how resistant or not a large number of oils were to shearing in both the coyote v8 and the older modular v8's. Interestingly, his data, derived by a LOT of oil analysis, showed that any 5W-50 will shear down to an effective 30 weight in around 1000 miles. As I recall, he checked the Motorcraft variant of that viscosity, as well as the Mobil 1 and, Amsoil. All had sheared to an effective 30 weight in around 1000 miles.

You're absolutely right about this because the spread is too big from a 5W to a 50 viscosity. Though ridiculously enough, the cSt@40C for 5W50 is almost that of 15W50, so what they have going for them is a lower pour point. I looked at a few PDS and MSDS documents for various 5W-50 oils and you're absolutely right. I went more off Ford's recommendation for 5W-50 for track use in blown engines. I guess in many situations you'd be better off with 15W-50 or Red Line 5W-40 or something with a smaller viscosity spread.

It was his contention that Amsoil's SS 10W30 was essentially straight PAO 30 weight which due to it's cold flow ability, also met the requirements of a 10W-30.

You can't make any motor oil out straight PAO because PAO isn't very good at hanging on to the additive package. It might have been a very large percentage of PAO, however, it needs to be combined with a Group III or Ester for additive retention. Maybe I'm wrong, however, it's what I've learned on the Internet. Now, I'm no chemical engineer, so maybe @MolaKule can shed some light on this.

And for a personal data point, I had an oil pressure gauge on the Boss, and with 5W50, cold (even 60 degree ambient) starts resulted in initial oil pressure of 110 psi, which lowered to the mid 30's when fully warm at idle. When I began using the Amsoil SS 10W-30, cold start oil pressure still spiked to almost 90 psi, and settled down to the same warm idle pressure as the 5W-50 of mid 30's.

WOW

If you going to go thick, use a VW 502 type 5W30 that has a HTHS of 3.5+.

Mobil 1 ESP 5W-30 should be an easy pick. I wonder how big of a deal Ford makes about their certifications. I know Crysler/FCA certifications are meaningless. If it's good enough for Direct Injected Twin Turbo Porche engines, it should be good enough for Ford engines. Just my two cents...

Most of the time reports Ive seen show the motorcraft 5w-50 sheers down to a 40 weight pretty quickly anyways.
Though that might be true, Motorcraft produces excellent UOAs in my GT350R. I've not found a reason to switch to other oils that meet (or claim to exceed) the spec e.g. Lucas and Amsoil.

Back