ruger MK IV 22lr

Anyone have a MK IV ruger 22lr. Thinking of getting one for some target practice. I am thinking of the target model either stainless or black. Would like some feedback from owners

My FIL has one, and it is a nice pistol. I have the previous, somewhat of a pain to take down model. Both are the stainless heavy slab sided barrel versions. Nice pistols.

Last edited by a moderator:
They are very good, and have been used to win plenty of indoor matches over the years. The new model has "solved" the reassembly issue, and the older models can be retrofitted to aid that situation. It's not impossible to do without the mods, but very tricky. It will either go together correctly, or not at all!
I'd suggest not getting too long of a barrel, and maybe not even the bull barrel, the weight up front can become an issue in a long match. Extra barrel length does give you a longer sight spacing, but nothing that a good set of sights can't accomplish for you.
My personal preference would be stainless.

I have two, the old one a 1979 year model has over 100,000 rounds through it. My kids would run a Brick of ammo through it weekly when they were little.
I bought a new model on 2020 and it is nicer. People say the old model is hard to disassemble and put back to gether but after you do it a few times, it is simple. Get a model with the nicer sights Ruger made a basic model with cheap sights and the cheap sights ruin the pistol

I have 2. One a slab-side stainless and one a bull barreled blue. Excellent shooters and the aftermarket for them is insane. For the price they're hard to beat and rarely go down in value.

I have 2 of them. A Stainless Mark IV Hunter, and the Bill Ruger 100 Year Commemorative. I also have a Mark III, and several Mark II's. Based only on the ease of takedown, the Mark IV is the only one to consider. It comes apart like an O/U shotgun. All the others are a struggle, believe me.

I won't even take them apart. What I do is remove the grips, (if they're wooden), and wash the entire pistol in clean Kerosene. Then blow it dry with compressed air. I then relube it and reinstall the grips. And it's cleaner than when I took it out of the box.

The 100 Year Commemorative I have not fired. It came with a matching knife and leather scabbard with the Ruger logo on both. The Stainless Hunter has had around 2 bricks through it so far. (1,000 rounds). All without a single malfunction. It likes High Velocity ammunition, and is quite accurate with it.

JCp5eHE.jpg

oxIknB0.jpg

I have 2 at the moment, and grew up putting a zillion rounds through one.

Try to avoid the "california version" which adds weight and complexity.

i introduced a friend who is a lawful immigrant from asia to firearms. on his own research he decided on getting a ruger mk4 lite pistol. he isn’t “into guns,” and this mk4 lite is his only firearm but he cherishes it, putting probably 3k rounds through it. i have shot and fieldstripped it. the mk4 lite is darn near perfect: accurate, well balanced in the hand, easy to own and reliable. it’s not cheap but it’s worth the coin. i would get one but i am too invested in the ruger sr22, which has the added advantage of being compact enough to be a ccw.

I have 2 of them. A Stainless Mark IV Hunter, and the Bill Ruger 100 Year Commemorative. I also have a Mark III, and several Mark II's. Based only on the ease of takedown, the Mark IV is the only one to consider. It comes apart like an O/U shotgun. All the others are a struggle, believe me.

I won't even take them apart. What I do is remove the grips, (if they're wooden), and wash the entire pistol in clean Kerosene. Then blow it dry with compressed air. I then relube it and reinstall the grips. And it's cleaner than when I took it out of the box.

The 100 Year Commemorative I have not fired. It came with a matching knife and leather scabbard with the Ruger logo on both. The Stainless Hunter has had around 2 bricks through it so far. (1,000 rounds). All without a single malfunction. It likes High Velocity ammunition, and is quite accurate with it.

JCp5eHE.jpg

oxIknB0.jpg
THAT my friend, is absolutely gorgeous!

i introduced a friend who is a lawful immigrant from asia to firearms. on his own research he decided on getting a ruger mk4 lite pistol. he isn’t “into guns,” and this mk4 lite is his only firearm but he cherishes it, putting probably 3k rounds through it. i have shot and fieldstripped it. the mk4 lite is darn near perfect: accurate, well balanced in the hand, easy to own and reliable. it’s not cheap but it’s worth the coin. i would get one but i am too invested in the ruger sr22, which has the added advantage of being compact enough to be a ccw.
A +1 to everything said above. I have a 22 MK IV lite and the ease at which it can be taken apart for cleaning is a blessing. I have added fiber optic front and rear sights and just did a tandemcross refurb (new springs and follower) on the five magazines I use for steel shooting. About 5K rounds through it so far.

Two experiences I have had: 1. I strongly recommend CCI ammo and 2. the magazines don’t like to be cold. Below 45F I keep them (loaded magazines) in a zippered case with one of those hand warmers or in my pocket just before inserting it. Very nice firearm.

I prefer the tapered barrel and earlier guns to the later large barreled versions like this sweet SS MK1.

Cal version has a chambered round indicator that pops out of the barrel, and an integrated lock in the thumb safety.

The Smith revolver, Buckmark and Woodsman are also excellent.
With the expense of ammo today and general lower available time to practice the 22 revolver becomes a superb choice slowing down the spend and forcing focus on the basics.

You cannot go wrong with a Ruger MK series.

I put a zillion rounds through this mechanism over the course of a lifetime and trust it with my life.

IMG_3552.jpeg
IMG_3553.jpeg
IMG_3554.jpeg
IMG_3558.jpeg

I have a Ruger bull barrel 22/45. I love the thing.
I have the 5.5" version of the same, it is a tack driver. Buddy of mine bought the 10" version of it when they were available. It's sort of comical to shoot, hardly moves when it fires.

I've always preferred the mag release and grip of the 22/45 to the base release of the MK series.

I can recommend an accessory for you if you're going to do a lot of shooting:

It's not 100% perfect and usually takes a little while to learn how to make it work, but you can really plow through the reloads with it.

I have the 5.5" version of the same, it is a tack driver. Buddy of mine bought the 10" version of it when they were available. It's sort of comical to shoot, hardly moves when it fires.

I've always preferred the mag release and grip of the 22/45 to the base release of the MK series.

I can recommend an accessory for you if you're going to do a lot of shooting:

It's not 100% perfect and usually takes a little while to learn how to make it work, but you can really plow through the reloads with it.
I have an earlier version of that loader - it's OK, I also have the HKS speed loader which is very simple and quicker IMHO.

Back