Royal Purple and RedLine Synthetic Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Both RP and RL say that their motor oils will work in marine engines, has anyone ever tried either in their boat? Do these oils meet the specific requirments for Marine oils such as rust inhibitors and anti-foaming agents?

I've always been a little weary of using automotive oil in my boat, but both are more readily available and resonably cheaper. My engine specs for an SAE 30, so i'm leaning more towards RP. Any suggestions?

I have used RP sae 30. But after one season, i went back to Delo 400 sae 30. The cost difference is about $25 per change for the same protection. I didn't feel any difference between RP and Delo. In a boat, your oils temps don't get very hot. I checked my oil temps and it never went over 160f. So i figured syn was not worth it.

Thanks for the quick response. My engine specs to use a full synthetic oil SAE 30. I've been using the Volvo Brand Synthetic but wanted to switch over to something more available and cheaper if possible.

I never leave my boat in the water (at the most 3 days) and always fresh water. OCI is end of every season because i only rack up about 50 Hours per season. My boat doesn't see as harsh environments as ocean boats, but i would like to have good protection and a long lasting engine. I hope trying RP SAE 30 won't hurt.

One more question....

Do you think i could use a Auto Oil Filter? Or should i stick with Marine? It's a Chevy 5.0L so i'm confident i can find the correct fitting filter.

If you use Wix or Purolator they list the same # for auto and marine.

RP or RL,,for synthetics I'd pick which ever is most available/cheapest. Volvo has called for synthetic for several years in same basic engines Merc forbid syn use in up untill very recently. I feel it's not that critical, and as Jon S stated, I've used Dello400 40wt for years with no problems.

I would use the DELO before the RP. You may want to consider Pennzoil Marine 30w from Wallyworld for $2.49/qt. which probably has a better marine anti-corrosion add pack that both of the others.

Quote:

I would use the DELO before the RP. You may want to consider Pennzoil Marine 30w from Wallyworld for $2.49/qt. which probably has a better marine anti-corrosion add pack that both of the others.

I've seen the Pennzoil Marine 30W, but it's not synthetic and i would like to continue using a synthetic if possible

I've been using redline in my 454mag for years. No problems and I do long runs in the 4000 to 5000 rpm range. I do consume some oil running hard but I believe that's a trait of the 454.

I agree with Pablo. I have a couple years worth of running Amsoil 4-Stroke Marine with very hard running, logging 80-100 Hours each year with my 140Hp outboard.

The regular marine oil used to be black when I drained it. Now that I run the amsoil, it is a nice dark golden brown.

What a difference with the Amsoil! The engine runs tight and smooth. ...and I wind it up to 6400 RPM's !!
bowdown2.gif

The Amsoil Marine additive pack is the best for this application and I give you my highest recommendation for it.

Oh, yes, I forgot to add that with all of this long hard running using Amsoil, I have added no make-up oil.
bowdown2.gif

If you do go ahead and get one of the Amsoil synthetics for your Volvo/Chevy, you may consider their excellent EaO24 oil filter for that engine as well. I'm using that filter on my 305 Chevy car engine, and it flows and filters very well. I say this based on the fact that I now have zero startup valve clatter, which was especially noticeable in cold weather, since switching to this filter. My wear numbers on oil analysis are also somewhat better, prompting me to decide against installing a bypass oil filter on this car as I had originally planned. After clicking on Pablo's links, I noticed that the Amsoil ACD SAE30/10W-30 is only available in gallons, and the (more expensive) 10W-30 WCT NMMA certified oil is only available in quarts. I really think that either of these would work well. I've personally used the ACD in about everything except a watercraft engine, and had good results.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back