Rotella Truck Gasoline oil in sedan?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by kschachn
Originally Posted by Red91
Why did you even start this thread?

Because the other goofy threads got thoroughly beat down and it was time for a new one.

Yeah, that's it. This forum is just so welcoming to new people who are just learning this stuff!

Originally Posted by Whammo

Because the other goofy threads got thoroughly beat down and it was time for a new one.

Yeah, that's it. This forum is just so welcoming to new people who are just learning this stuff!

... and that's why you don't have more contributors, because there's a core group that is sooo bored IRL that they just nit pick the schitt out of everything posted and if the post doesn't rise to their (some) level of technical/scientific worthiness it's ridiculed or lambasted as sophomoric/remedial in nature, despite the fact that not everyone is an armchair "oil'tologist"!...

The OP's question is a legitimate one.

(waiting patiently to see who just can't resist correcting my using "oil'tologist"...‚)

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Mad_Hatter

... and that's why you don't have more contributors, because there's a core group that is sooo bored IRL that they just nit pick the schitt out of everything posted and if the post doesn't rise to their (some) level of technical/scientific worthiness it's ridiculed or lambasted as sophomoric/remedial in nature, despite the fact that not everyone is an armchair "oil'tologist"!...

(waiting patiently to see who just can't resist correcting my using "oil'tologist"...‚)

Then you should answer the OP's question. Your previous comments in this thread have added nothing.

Don't think anyone is messing with the OP … it's just folks joking about the gas truck marketing hype … where I think Mobil got beat up here more than Shell.

Originally Posted by Mad_Hatter

If you say so.

Originally Posted by PimTac

Then you should answer the OP's question. Your previous comments in this thread have added nothing.

The OP's question was asked/answered by the time I chimed in.

Originally Posted by pdxglocker9mm
You will feel an urge to install truck nuts and listen to country music.

And if you use RGT in a Prius, you might, ahem, put on some not-so-liberal leaning stickers on your car and mix in 2-stroke oil in your tank just so you can roll coal.
cool.gif

It may be legitimate that it's indeed a question, but given that rgt carries nothing but regular gasoline engine specs(sn+/d1g2) there's nothing to suggest it can't be used in a car unless you really buy the "TRUCK OIL" marketing. There's nothing special about truck engines.

Side note: I'd really like to like this product, but I can't. It's a dumb product. Sopus already offers qs and Pennzoil sn+/d1g2 syn blends and synthetics. Sopus already offers rotella multi vehicle to be used in mixed fleets. The only way it'll succeed is if the marketing works on the ignorant. I, like several other members, believe this will end up a $10/jug clearance oil, probably sooner than later.

Well, maybe marketing works on the innocent … but it's likely a well made product at a moderate price …
No crime done …

Originally Posted by nthach
Originally Posted by pdxglocker9mm
You will feel an urge to install truck nuts and listen to country music.

And if you use RGT in a Prius, you might, ahem, put on some not-so-liberal leaning stickers on your car and mix in 2-stroke oil in your tank just so you can roll coal.
cool.gif

2 cycle oil in a petrol engine to roll coal!?!? Can my Civic do that!?! Need to hurry up and get a turbo so it sounds right too

I put Rotella Gas Truck oil in my SILs minivan.
It's now the most manly Chrysler T&C in the state!
He no longer feels inadequate when having to drive this instead of their Kia Stinger

I completely agree, but sopus already offers the same thing in at least four different oils under two brands....I just don't see the point other than providing bitogers with cheap clearance oil in the future. Flooding the market with yet another sn+/d1g2 synthetic that directly competes with your flagship and your value brand is corporate cannibalism and makes no sense.

I have liked sopus products for a long time and will continue to do so, and I've got no doubt that rgt is an excellent product, but it's a pointless product.

Originally Posted by bbhero
Does using Rotella meant for eighteen wheelers cause your car to drive and pass other vehicles very slowly in the left lane ??
lol.gif

Yes, and there are air horns on the roof and I let it idle all night in the winter.
wink.gif

Many years back, it was quite funny, when driving a friend's Contour SVT, he asked me why I'm shifting gears like I'm driving a gravel truck.

Last edited:
No worries using it, as everyone else has said you'll be perfectly fine running this in any type of vehicle with a gasoline engine that calls for any of the viscosities that RGT comes in.

I'm actually thinking of using this in my Civic's just to consolidate the oil that I use instead of having a little bit of this and a little bit of that.

So far I've been very pleased with it in my GMC w/ 5.3

Originally Posted by dkryan
Would anything bad happen if you used this oil in a passenger car at the correct grade (5w30)?

How would "this oil" know it's being used in a passenger car engine as opposed to being used in a truck or SUV engine?

Magic molecules.

Would anything bad happen if you used this oil in a passenger car at the correct grade (5w30)?

How would "this oil" know it's being used in a passenger car engine as opposed to being used in a truck or SUV engine?

Alexa.

just say'in...be careful!

Last edited:

This may be a tough question to be answered.
Like shakespeare's "To be or not to be,that is the question" thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back