MI/HR ON OIL 3,722

MI/HR ON UNIT 112,245
SUS @210F was 57.3 ..... should be 64 - 71
Flashpoint " 265 ..... " should be >365
Fuel " 5.0 ..... " should be b>
antifreeze " 0 ..... " 0
water " TRACE ..... " 0
Insolubles " 0.5 ..... "
Blackstone Sez : No problems showed up in the spectral examination of this oil, but the viscosity and flashpoint were both low enough to show 5.0% fuel dilution. A trace of water was present as well. The metals have been diluted some by these contaminates; however, everything was low enough that we doubt this engine had any mechanical problems. Some fuel dilution is common for cars driven in the city, though this level could show a problem with the fuel system or oxygen sensor.... Other than that, things look okay.

My comments: This oil was run through the winter since October, in my daughter's car. Driving is probably 90% or more short trips, to school, soccer practice, etc.

[ April 06, 2004, 08:18 AM: Message edited by: dkcase ]

Wow. Fuel dilution has done a few things to this oil. Even with short trips like that, you shouldn't be diluting this much. Where's the water coming from? Something is just not right about this. There have been UOA's on vehicles such as yours and driven over the same conditions but have not turned out like this. Time to get under the hood and find out what's going on.

Funny, I had similar results in my Subaru with rotella 5W40: higher Fe than expected, fuel dilution, and poor MPG. Turned our that the engine was running rich due to faulty TPS.
However, it took a year to diagnose the problem, dealership was worthless untill CEL showed up.

If someone advises you to clean injectors (like I was advised on this forum and wasted time and money on several ones), don't listen and troubleshoot the emission system components instead.

Rotella did a fine job considering the amount of fuel dilution. Stick with the HDEO's and short OCI's until you get the problem solved.

Considering the dilution thats a decent report.

You need to get the problem squared away yesterday You probably have a bad injector.

3% dilution is where you normally take action. Yours is out of control.
frown.gif

quote:

Originally posted by dkcase:
Thanks for everyone's comments. I'll be looking into it.

Give us a followup.
smile.gif

BTW my son had a '97 Cavalier and that thing was giving stellar reports at 100K miles when he got rid of it. I think its a solid engine.

[ April 07, 2004, 07:39 PM: Message edited by: Al ]

my g/f has a 96 pontiac sunfire 2.2 104k miles. I'm using exxon superflo 10w30 for the past year. expect uoa at the end of summer to compare. Just from driving the car, the engine is pretty solid. piston slap is my only complaint

I thought HDEOs were supposed to have much higher zinc and phosphorus levels. What happened? These zinc phosphorus levels look to me to be comparable to that from a PCEO.

Paul,
If you look at 5W40 VOA, it is higher than this.
Something like 1200 if I remember right. Not as high as dino 15W40 HDEO (~1500), but higher than M1 for instance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back