Ross Chastain

Surprisingly Kyle Larson gave an interview stating that Chastain's move was "embarrassing". He also went on to say that had he not tried it at Darlington last year others would not have tried it again. Now I did not remember Larson doing that so I Googled it and found the video. He did indeed ride the wall in three and four behind Denny last year. What Larson didn't realize is that a move like that will never work at tracks like Darlington as the groove is up at the wall. I am a huge fan of Larson, and most of the young guns today, but I disagree with him on his comments. Chastain threw a "hail mary" and it stuck. What is the difference with the last second sail the football down the field and hope. Or the last second full court throw in basketball. Nothing to lose and everything to gain. That is what Ross did and he came out looking like a genius.

Don

Oh and it was great hearing the crowd go wild over Ross and boo the hometown boy Denny. Denny is a cry baby POS. I am sure he is really a nice guy but when it comes to on track skirmishes he is a class A jerkoff

Don

I'm amazed he could keep control of the car during that move.
You can see Ross's balls from space.

Nsacar needed something like that.

Oh and it was great hearing the crowd go wild over Ross and boo the hometown boy Denny. Denny is a cry baby POS. I am sure he is really a nice guy but when it comes to on track skirmishes he is a class A jerkoff

Don

Speaking with people who have worked with him in NASCAR, he's as much a pompous a** off the track as he is on the track. Same for Kevin Harvick.

Met him at Sonoma this year and he was incredibly nice.

IMG_4081(1).jpg

While a creative move it was dangerous. Just like cutting corners, “widening the race track”, on a road course, to gain an advantage, is prohibited, so should using the wall as part of the race track.

While a creative move it was dangerous. Just like cutting corners, “widening the race track”, on a road course, to gain an advantage, is prohibited, so should using the wall as part of the race track.
NASCAR has been acting desperate for years now. They fear a shrinking fans base so.... they will likely let it go.

I laughed each time I watched the replay for like three first 5-6 times I watched this... It was hilarious.

One thing here though no one has mentioned.... If he were to have hit a REAL concrete wall and did that.... A) would the car "survive" long enough to even make those passes ?? B) And if he hit a concrete wall that hard would it possibly have knocked him unconscious therefore making it not even possible and even happen ???

I highly doubt even a car has strong has these newer Nascar cars are would survive a really hard hit against a real concrete wall and be able to run that well or that fast around turns 3 and 4 wide open. It would just tear it up way too much for that to be feasible. The damage would be far more severe to the tire and suspension. And right front tire totally turned dead left and completely disabled would not do what Ross's car did there.

And home being knocked unconscious by hitting a real concrete wall would actually be quite possible here. Especially has he came into turn 3 entry point and out towards turn 4 exit point.

Bumper tracks with bumper walls.... Helped make this possible here.

And Martinsville does not need bumper walls ...

Richmond... Ok yeah absolutely.. Loudon... Absolutely... Those tracks are where extremely hard hits killed drivers and left one Jerry Nadeau done with driving anymore in Nascar.

I laughed each time I watched the replay for like three first 5-6 times I watched this... It was hilarious.

One thing here though no one has mentioned.... If he were to have hit a REAL concrete wall and did that.... A) would the car "survive" long enough to even make those passes ?? B) And if he hit a concrete wall that hard would it possibly have knocked him unconscious therefore making it not even possible and even happen ???

I highly doubt even a car has strong has these newer Nascar cars are would survive a really hard hit against a real concrete wall and be able to run that well or that fast around turns 3 and 4 wide open. It would just tear it up way too much for that to be feasible. The damage would be far more severe to the tire and suspension. And right front tire totally turned dead left and completely disabled would not do what Ross's car did there.

And home being knocked unconscious by hitting a real concrete wall would actually be quite possible here. Especially has he came into turn 3 entry point and out towards turn 4 exit point.

Bumper tracks with bumper walls.... Helped make this possible here.

And Martinsville does not need bumper walls ...

Richmond... Ok yeah absolutely.. Loudon... Absolutely... Those tracks are where extremely hard hits killed drivers and left one Jerry Nadeau done with driving anymore in Nascar.
He never hit the wall that hard. I don't think it would have mattered if it was cement or not. He just eased it against the wall and dropped the hammer and rode it around. The car wasn't even that bad after the race.

Ross's move was total commitment. From the in-car you could see he UPSHIFTED to 5th going into the turn and floored it.
Normal race driving at Martinsville in the new car is the track is driven in 3rd and 4th gear. 3rd entering and exiting the turns, upshifting to 4th on the straights.
It's estimated he was going 60 mph faster in the turn than normal apex speed, and his last lap reset the track record by 2.5 seconds.
FULL SEND.
I saw it live and couldn't believe my eyes. Even the replays look like sped-up video. I laughed for 5 full minutes and giggle every time I watch a replay.
The car was trashed and couldn't have made another lap.
The Move was fairly well-considered in the moment and he had some luck to pull it off.
The NASCAR competition director said that in 60 years of racing, nothing like that had ever been done.

Any future attempts at a similar move will always be copycat and second-best.

Yea, but will NASCAR let that stand?
They have no choice. There is currently no rule against it. But I wouldn't be surprised if they added one. Remember, NASCAR didn't write the rule book. The drivers and mechanics did over 50+ years of building cars and racing them.

There was a time when about 80% of the rules in NASCAR were the direct result of Smokey Yunick. The man was a total genius at "interpreting" the few "rules" NASCAR had back then. And as a direct result, they had to keep "revising" the rules, and adding new ones, because of Yunick's ability to bend them without technically breaking them.

Back