Rode in three cars: Civic, Azera, and Camry Hybrid

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:

The Civic shoud quiet down after break-in. Jetta not an option??? It's top of my list.

The new new Jetta topped out in Consumer Reports worse reliability car. The only car ratings that seem valid from Consumer Reports are its Used Cars to Avoid list.

To "The Critic":

Perhaps you should go ahead and actually LEARN to "drive a stick", get some new friends who are willing to learn to "drive a stick" or who already know HOW to "drive a stick"?

Then, when you are finished with your studies, you can actually go out and buy yourself a car based upon your own choices and personal experiences...

It is called "life" and it really doesn't happen while sitting at a computer terminal recounting your daily adventures ad naseum, ad infinitum.

Cheers!

Maybe I understood this wrong, but I thought this car is going to be for his family (parents), but he'll get to drive it when he needs to. So, he can't just choose some features with total disregard for his parents who will also use the car.

You came close but did not quite get to the best car value in the universe as we know it - '07 Hyundai Sonata 3.3 V6.

Quote:

Everything is still a long ways away, I'm now looking at summer of 08...

So you're looking at cars now that you will be buying used in the summer of '08?

Chances are the new car you buy in the summer of 2008 will bear little resemblance to the new car you test drive in the fall of 2006, so your current point is what?

Also, mom has a '96 Passat from new. One of CR's worst reliability cars. In 10 years, she needed a odometer display, a muffler and brakes. Car is solid like riding in a cinderblock. Interior is literally like new and the white paint looks like the top of a bowl of milk.

I drove a Silver '07 Camry LE V-6 with leather. Nice car, but with a grey interior, very very boring.

Rode nice and accelerated great.

I just couldnt see myself driving it for the next 5 years. No driver involvement. It must be why mostly women drive them.

I drove a new Yukon SLE. It was freakin great, but a dang gas guzzler.

I'm leaning now toward an Yukon with few options. I have been seeing them advertised for $27-30k in SA and Houston.

For your parents, the Camry Hybrid would be my pick....

I'm actually going to have my mom test drive one when her current lease is up.
smile.gif

Quote:

Lastly, the gearing on the Automatic for the Civic allows it to obtain better fuel efficiency on the hwy compared to the MT version.

I never knew the auto Civic got better highway gas mileage compared to the 5 speed...
dunno.gif

Quote:

Also, mom has a '96 Passat from new. One of CR's worst reliability cars. In 10 years, she needed a odometer display, a muffler and brakes. Car is solid like riding in a cinderblock. Interior is literally like new and the white paint looks like the top of a bowl of milk.

Brother's 2001 VW 1.8t: More Electronic problems than a Compaq and HP Laptops. Last week, his brake light switch went out again. Everything is falling apart in the interior, and a busted seatbelt? Come on VW. Engine is ok , for now.

Friend's 2005(6?): VW Jetta GLI V6: Again, more electrical gremlins. So far everything is ok and fixed under warranty.

I dont' know whether to blame the German engineering or the Mexican craftsmenship at their Puebla plant. Don't get me wrong though, my brother's 1.8t is an OK ride.

Quote:

The IS350 is an exception.

To a certain degree. It's still not known as a "driver's car" though, even if you could get it with a standard.

From Car and Driver:
"And yet the IS350 doesn't become an extension of your legs and forearms, as the BMW or even the G35 does. Editors wrote of a twitchy, overly zealous response to steering inputs by an overdamped suspension that was annoyingly busy on the freeway. Scrub data through the electrically assisted steering rack get muted, and the weighting seems typically Lexus light and artificial. Meanwhile, the tires lack the bite to control understeer, contributing to a last-place lane-change speed."

But it was good enough overall for 2nd place out of 8 in the sports sedan comparison, right behind the 330i and just ahead of the G35.

Car and Driver $35,000 Sports Sedan Comparison

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back