Rode in three cars: Civic, Azera, and Camry Hybrid

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yesterday, I went with my parents to several local dealerships to do some early car shopping. Together, we looked at the 2007 Toyota Camry Hybrid, 2007 Honda Civic EX Automatic Sedan, and 2006 Hyundai Azera Limited.

My father was the one who was interested in the Camry Hybrid and the Azera, and I was the one who wanted to look at the Civic.

The first car we looked at was the Camry Hybrid. MSRP was $26,000 and some change, the model on the lot had almost 100 miles on it. It was their only one. (Maita Toyota in Sacramento) This car really impressed me. It was dead quiet during acceleration, and silent at stops due to the ICE shut-off. The car is quick for its size (187HP), and the CVT transmission was a welcoming refreshment to the conventional setups. The ride was very smooth and isolated with no harsh bumps or vibrations being transferred to the cabin. The onboard fuel economy gauge stayed between 35-40 in town and was just over 40 out on the highway at 60mph. Great car, just a bit too expensive for my taste. I wouldn’t hesitate buying the V6 version for better performance for a few thousand bucks less, or even the 4-cyl version.

The second car we looked at was the Azera. It was a 2006 model with only three miles on it. We had to make a trip to the fuel station to add some fuel before it ran dry on us. The car had clearly gone through paint/body PDI, but not mechanical PDI. I think the tires were still severely overinflated from shipping preparation (to prevent flat spotting), as the car was very bouncy. Overall, the car lacked the level of refinement present in the Camry, and was merely an OK car, honestly. It didn’t impress me at all, aside from its value. MSRP was $27,000 and some change, but I doubt I would’ve paid more than low 20s if I really bought the car that day.

The last car we looked at was the Civic. We rode in the 07 Civic EX Automatic model, in the sedan version. The car certainly has an impressive exterior and interior design. The engine compartment was tight, very tight, but the interior was roomy for a small sedan. Front seats were comfortable; don’t know about rear, parents sat there.
smile.gif

The bad? Well, unless the tire pressure was off, which I highly doubt as the car had nearly 50 miles on it so someone should’ve noticed by now, but the ride was harsh. Quite harsh. I think it is due to the P205/55R16 lower profile tires, whereas, I’m used to the 65 series tires.

In addition, the moonroof in the EX ate up about 2” of the headroom. I’m only 5’10”, so it isn’t a huge issue for me, but I can see how it can be a problem for some people.

And of course, after sitting in the Camry Hybrid and Azera, the car was significantly smaller, so of course I felt less comfortable.
wink.gif

The engine though, coupled with the 5-speed automatic, had no trouble hitting 80+ mph on the freeway onramp with four people in the car with the AC on. It didn’t even require full throttle, and the transmission behaved wonderfully, shifting rapidly and smoothly at the right times. However, I must say that at only moderate throttle, the engine was LOUD. But once on the road, the car is relatively quiet, but not Toyota quiet…

Lastly, sticker on this car was $20,300 (maybe a bit more). As we were leaving, the salesman came up to us and said it was a slow, cold night, and he could sell it to us for the price of a LX. So that’d be $18,300 or so. Fantastic offer, but sadly, I wasn’t planning to buy…not for a long time.

Sorry for any grammatical errors…in a hurry.

I like the Camry Hybrid transmission, one sun gear, one ring gear and 4 planet gears, one speed, no reverse. It takes about 4 quarts of WS transmisson fluid. Mechanically this car is really simple. Since the brakes do most of their work through regeneration, the pads are good for many years, or with careful driving, the life of the car. The most frequent maintenance is an oil change. The engine takes three litres of hot coolant, on shutdown, saves it in a thermos and uses it for the next cold startup. The Camry Hybrid is a bit different from the average car, and there may be more cars like this, the Prius and others in the future.

It's christmas season, no one isn't out buying a car at this time of the year. that's why he offered you such a great price.

... "I was the one who wanted to look at the Civic"...
pat2.gif
So what's new?

GOOD GRIEF! The Civic is what you really want or surprise us and get a Volvo.

If your going to drop $26K to $27K then for pity sake look at the Civic Si Sedan. Now that's a loud car and stiff too. Get one for $23,000 +-. I'm getting 32-35 Highway and 25-27 city in my Si coupe. An EX or LX would get even better MPG's, semi-hybrid levels. 40+ Highway...OR...

Find a good running VW Beetle and save the $20,000 in a Roth IRA. At 10-11% ( about average SP500 over any 30 year period) that makes you about a million $ down the road.
cheers.gif

hmmm. my old suby used to get 40 mpg hwy, at 100 km/h or 63mph, but the camry's probably a lot heavier and maybe bigger than 92 ft^3 inside.

No surprise ALL small cars ride harsher and less comfortable than midsize counterparts. The kicker is an efficient midsize does not even have that much of fuel penalty. Its seems like a no brainer to me when buying 4 door generic car.

I rented an Azera on a business trip. Enough said.

You live a dream world compared to the vast majority of the world if mommy and daddy are taking you out on a car buying trip.

Honestly not a fan of any of the cars mentioned, but I would like to drive the new Civic.

I'm going to call #@$%! in this one. First of all, The Hyundai Azera is one of the best car I've ever driven, and I've driven many cars.

You didn't even drive the cars. You think a Civic is better than an Azera? I've seen people who are shopping for Lexus and Infiniti models, have an Azera on their list. I've driven my friend's new Civic Coupe with an Automatic and it doesn't even come close to an Azera. Civic's interior is just plain ugly, maybe it looks good for younger kids because it looks "Futuristic". Ok, I do agree that the Azera's interior is bland, but the car is high quality.

Azera FTW for me.

Quote:

I'm going to call #@$%! in this one. First of all, The Hyundai Azera is one of the best car I've ever driven, and I've driven many cars.

I've driven an Azera. It's a nicely finished car with a luxurious interior and it's quiet. It's not a drivers car. handling is quirky and throttle response is non-linear in a bad way. It would be a nice luxury car for non-automotive enthusiasts who don't notice such things. It makes Toyotas and Hondas seem like precision handling cars.

Close, but no banana.

Pablo, you didn't say what you didn't like about it. What did you notice?

I don't know how to drive stick. But I may learn in the future.

The problem too, is that my parents must be able to drive the car, and although both of my parents used to drive stick, they no longer have much love for it. Plus, there's also the friend factor...only a few of my friends are able to drive stick.

Lastly, the gearing on the Automatic for the Civic allows it to obtain better fuel efficiency on the hwy compared to the MT version.

Everything is still a long ways away, I'm now looking at summer of 08...

Quote:

Quote:

I've driven an Azera. It's a nicely finished car with a luxurious interior and it's quiet. It's not a drivers car. handling is quirky and throttle response is non-linear in a bad way. It would be a nice luxury car for non-automotive enthusiasts who don't notice such things. It makes Toyotas and Hondas seem like precision handling cars.

Close, but no banana.

Pablo, you didn't say what you didn't like about it. What did you notice?

I'm an Automotive enthusiest. I'm more of a road trip enthusiest, so I notice these things. Azera is on my list for awesome road trip cars.

Contact the fleet slase or internet sales person at various local Toyota dealers. You should be able to get a 4 cylinder Camry with an automatic or manual trans with out a sunroof for $17,000-$19,000. My 2003 cost me $17,000+financeing and I have 8 way power seats, cloth interior, 8 way speakers, CD,Casette palyer, AM/FM, AC. I would not even waste time talking to the guys onthe lot they are always going to start high and make you work them down.

I remember back when I bought my 01 Civic EX... At the time I wanted a reasonably well equipped reliable car (it was August 01, didn't have to worry about gas prices yet, but it was nice to get 400 miles to a puny tank!). I liked it better than the Sentra and bought it. Fast forward to 2004 or so... the car looks new, drives like new, and is running great. The only problem is that I've now started to carry people and things with the car, and the 2" that moonroof ate up is causing me to smack my helmet (while autocrossing) into the ceiling like crazy. It just felt claustrophobic in there! Finally this summer I sold my perfectly running, showroom condition Civic with 66k miles on it (paid cash for it initially too, no payments!) because I just couldn't stand how small it was. It seemed like a fairly minor issue to me at the time in 01, but I'm telling you, if it feels at ALL small to you now, it's only going to get worse. I couldn't be happier since I made the move to the Accord, and it sounds like you may have already started down this path based on your comments about the Camry.

Quote:

I don't know how to drive stick. But I may learn in the future.

The problem too, is that my parents must be able to drive the car...

Sorry. The Si? Not good advice from me at all.
I love my new Civic Si and could spend hours explaining why but the Civics have their warts too. The sedans seem to be better insulated from road noise then the coupes, more leg and headroom in the sedan back seat, all models can and do at times have birth defect interior "rattles" (mine was easily corrected), and some people don't have a good "feel" for the size of the car and how it "parks".
dunno.gif

The interior materials tend to scuff easy, unlike Accords.
frown.gif
That's about all the negatives I can think of. Remember... knowing all this I still bought a Civic. Hope this helps you decide.

The Azera is a phony car and drives like one. Every bit of it screamed cheap! It drove cheap with a bizarre buzzy V6 and an ill matched transmission. Now allow me to say this, my MIL has an Avalon and that thing isn't that great on the some of the interior bits and engine accessories - it just says cheap as well. (Same wheels as a Corolla? Come on Toyota). However the V6 in the Toyota is a smooth, easy reving nice motor. The AT is OK, just OK.

I find it hilarious that a strapping male youth can't drive a manual transmission car. Back in the day we had a word for such youths........

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back