Road construction - how long does it go on?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Al
Originally Posted By: Nick1994
People complain when there’s construction, and then people complain when there isn’t construction and there’s pot holes and rough roads.

Can’t win sometimes.

This

And then I complain about your post about people who complain.
lol.gif

All kidding aside you have a point.
thumbsup2.gif

Last edited:
You live in OH and you have to ask?
A mill and overlay can be completed pretty quickly, so the changing weather isn't an issue.
There are also certain large projects that carry on from one year to the next.
Pretty sure that ODOT and their contractors know what they're doing and plan these projects pretty thoroughly.

Like the Golden Gate Bridge . The painters start painting on one end and work their way across.when they finish painting the bridge it is time to start over again. Roads need lots of maintenance .

It keeps a lot of folks employed with well paying jobs who mostly otherwise would have little skills to offer.

I used to work as a project/field engineer.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
If Cal-Trans is involved there is no end date.
Ya. They have been "improving" Cajon pass for about 4 yrs now.

They are obsessed with adding round-abouts here. Most people here aren't skilled enough at driving to use them properly.

Originally Posted By: grampi
Not only am I not seeing a wrapping up of the current road construction projects, they are still beginning new ones. I thought they were supposed to be done with these projects by now. After all, it could start snowing any day now. Road construction is annoying enough without dragging the season out as long as possible...I know its a necessary evil, but let's wrap it up guys...

Job security

They are bypassing our town, a 5 year project, but it's all new road over land not used. But some other projects further north are causing big hold ups.

There was a project to increase from 3 lanes to 4 lanes in each direction on I495 (long island, NY between exits 30 and 40) that took approximately ten years to complete. It was great for a day or two until even more traffic came to fill up the added capacity. I suppose it is of little consolation that the traffic would be even worse today if they had not done it.

Road construction wouldn't be that bad if they'd do it in a way that was less disruptive to traffic flow. Indiana for example is horrible about not caring about how much traffic congestion they cause. I-65 and I-70 are perfect examples of this. Instead of making the shoulder a lane during the construction period, they will just take the highway down to one lane. Anyone who drives on either of these highways knows there's way too much traffic to be taking them down to one lane, which basically turns this area into a giant parking lot. Another thing I see done too often (not just by Indiana)is having the most logical alternate routes under construction at the same time the main route is being worked on. They'll completely close a road, then send you on a detour that is also under construction. They can't leave one of the routes open until the other section is completed? That deserves a "come on man"!

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
People complain when there’s construction, and then people complain when there isn’t construction and there’s pot holes and rough roads.

Can’t win sometimes.

I do believe I said in my OP that road construction is a necessary evil, I just wish they would figure out how to make it less disruptive to traffic flow...

I tend to complain about road construction projects as well. Then when one is completed I think, oh my! Isn't this a nice road?
smile.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: CT8
Roads need lots of maintenance.

This simple fact is reflected in the ongoing and marginally effective nature of State and local government's highway resource management. They are busy prioritizing not enough resources for too much work and nobody has the big picture.

Originally Posted By: UberArchetype
Originally Posted By: CT8
Roads need lots of maintenance.

This simple fact is reflected in the ongoing and marginally effective nature of State and local government's highway resource management. They are busy prioritizing not enough resources for too much work and nobody has the big picture.

I actually think for the most part, they do a pretty good job keeping up with the maintenance, especially considering their tight budgets, I just wish they could figure out ways for the construction to be less disruptive to traffic flow...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back