Rislone Clean Oil Analysis

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

This thread started out with Rislone being nothing but 20 wt. oil and ended up with it being "severely hydrotreated light or heavy napthenic distillates." Again, it seems like we glorify a limited number of expensive additives while dissing old timers like MMO and Rislone.

Not true. The thread started out as a simple VOA analysis of Rislone with some conclusions. The basic analysis showed the base oil was a SAE 20 weight. "Severely hydrotreated or heavy napthenic distillates" simply means that this stuff is a mix of low viscosity and higher viscosity petroleum oils was used to make the 20 weight base oil.

Here is my recommended Protocol for Testing:

Flush engine with LC or Neutra.

Install new filter and preferably a dino like Chevron Supreme, run for 4k miles.

Do a UOA (Oil Sample #1).

Drain, change filter, and install new Chevron Supreme with Rislone additive. Send in a VOA (Oil Sample #2) with Rislone in the oil mix that will be placed in the engine.

Run for 4k miles and have a UOA (Oil Sample #3) done.

The differences in VOA and UOA will show a change in additive packages and wear metals with and without the Rislone.

A UOA will not show the base oils or any solvents that might be part of Rislone.

[ November 26, 2003, 04:41 PM: Message edited by: MolaKule ]

quote:

Flush engine with LC or Neutra.

Why flush the engine first?

Oh, I get it. Get the gunk out of there before Rislone gets a chance to clean it out.

Give that Rislone something to clean. Keep it simple. Skip molakule's flush.

Actually, the suggestion for a flush was an attempt to start with a clean to semi-clean engine before the test was begun. Then determine if the wear metals rose or fell with the addition of Rislone; that is, reduce the number of variables before starting any test.

Again, the suggested protocol was only a suggestion. Obviuously, the TESTOR can choose any path he desires.

I would imagine that the wear metals would be higher with the Rislone than without it.
However if the object is to use the product as a flush or cleaning agent, perhaps a quart of diesel fuel added to the engine oil and idled for ten minutes before an oil change would likely be as effective and $2.30 cheaper.

If I suspected that an inch of junk lived at the bottom of the oil pan, I'd rather not loosen it, except by removing the oil pan and valve covers and having them hot tanked or spray washed. BUT ONLY If the engine was worth the bother and expense.
It almost seems that no one on this board except a few own a socket set or has taken an engine apart.
Everyone is going to great lengths to avoid doing a few hours work either removing the oil pan from a suspect engine or transmission, but relying on chemicals to do the work for them.
If Auto Rx( or anyother product for that matter) is really the magic liquid of the 21st century, congradulations.
The product will eventually sell its self, you will get rich, and everyone will live happly ever after, never having to turn a wrench.

Warranties on products only cover the price of the product and not damage to equipment or subsequent costs to the consumer.

For example, if engine flush XYZ loosened 5 lbs of sludge in five minutes from the bottom of an engine, plugging up the filter and every oil gallery, causing that engine to fail, you get the price of the product refunded.
Dear Moderators,
If the objective of this discussion board is to sell engine oil UOAs, three or four types of engine oils and lubricants, plus a couple of additives, tell us now so we are not kept guessing.
If members and guests like this board, they will naturally support the various board sponsors or help out with a cash donation or spend time writing responses lending us their opinions and expertise in various fields.
The above thread illustrates how agressive the salespeople have gotten over the course of time, and its getting older by the day.

Diesel fuel is dirty. Use kerosene or B100 as the flush.

But, that would kind of defeat the purpose of using the Rislone to begin with.
Or, are we implying that Rislone will increase engine wear?

I guess that testimonials from users don't count for Rislone or any other brand except......

If the test is to determine Rislone's cleaning abilities, then have a UOA done before the test, say at 2k, add the Rislone, and then do a post UOA at say 4k to see if the dirt indicators went up and examine the oil to see if it became darker.

If two or three people did that, we might be able to see a trend. Simple as that.

[ November 28, 2003, 01:02 PM: Message edited by: MolaKule ]

Wow, this is quite the heated discussion. We all have our opinions on what we think (or know) works and what doesn't. Everyone needs to:
1. Breathe! (Listen to that new Michelle Branch song call Breathe)
2. Learn to respect the opinions of others
3. Go on being good members, providing wholesome advice for people like me.

I heard that ARX is good stuff but I'll believe it when I see it. I respect that people have had good success. Good! They found a product that works. I've used a 5 min engine flush in my old G. Cherokee, '77 Benz at 160K, '89 Ford Aerostar at 175K and never had any problems. I would try ARX but its expensive, especially for a HS student like me. I may try Rislone, as my rear main seal is leaking and is gonna be replaced. The oil pan is gonna be taken down and my mechanic cleans any pan he removes so he'll scrape whatever crap is left in there. Point is, if you find a product that you like, don't bash another product that promises the same thing if you haven't used THAT EXACT PRODUCT in the past, not something similar.

Dad bought a then new 1968 Ford F100 off the showroom floor. Had lifter tick from the factory at startup. Engine was the FE 360 V-8. An old Ford mechanic said to use Rislone, been around for years...... Dad bought Rislone and put it in the oil as recommended. Dad said before he got to work the next day, the lifters went quiet. No more lifter tick 32 plus YEARS later.

Now it's the year 1999 (31 years later). Developed a small valve cover leak. Maybe leaked a teaspoon on the intake manifold. We removed the valve covers. Flipped the first one over. Found clean bare metal. Same as the second cover. Looked on the heads. Nothing but new looking oil coating.

Now it's the year 2000 (32 years later). Engine developed an oil pan leak. Started leaking on the garage floor, size of a quarter. Dad wouldn't have that. Took it down and had the engine rebuilt LOL. Mechanics tore it apart. Then asked my dad why he brought them a NEW engine. Couldn't find ANY sludge or engine deposits. All bearing clearances were still in factory tolerance. Couldn't find any engine wear, other than a stretched timing chain. Engine had 150,000 miles on the clock. Again a 1968 engine people.

So this truck engine ran on 1968 oil, what SA spec or was there even a spec then LOL? He used Quaker (green bottle now) 10w-40 year round. Changed the oil twice a year like clockwork. Added a quart of Rislone each time. I swear to the lord, at the time of his oil changes, you HAD to go outside in the sun to see the oil level on the stick. Watching dad drain it and throw it away was weird. Same color as when it was poured into the engine.

That's a Rislone testimonial first hand. Take it for what you will. Bottom line Rislone works, I've seen it. Does everything they say it does. All you Mr. Wizard types talk about engine wear with Rislone LOL. That's a good one. 0 documented cases where Rislone caused any wear. It only has this much CA and zinc blah blah. The stuff works people.

slomo

I have read all 5 pages of this thread, and have come to the conclusion (for me at least) that if you have used a product, and like it, whether "tests" prove it doesn't work or not, just use it!. If it makes you sleep better, it is better to use it than not. Personally, I am more of a what I can see, rather than what a test shows kinda believer. The world isn't gonna end (mine, yours, or anybody else's) If you me or anybody does or doesn't use any particular additive, so I am done reading about them, and will just continue doing what I am. And I am not saying what I am, or am not, doing. And Yes, I know that that is what the forum is all about, but It looks like there will NEVER be any sort of agreement between those who say tests prove it doesn't work, and users who say the proof is in the pudding.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: slomo

...That's a Rislone testimonial first hand. Take it for what you will. Bottom line Rislone works, I've seen it. Does everything they say it does. All you Mr. Wizard types talk about engine wear with Rislone LOL. That's a good one. 0 documented cases where Rislone caused any wear. It only has this much CA and zinc blah blah. The stuff works people.

slomo

Rislone makes a number of products and I doubt the Rislone of Yore is the same Risilone of today.

Just my opinion which is worth what I charge for it. There must be more to rislone than what a cheap analysis shows. I'm a firm believer it works. My ford 5.4 had a very noticeable tap when I would start it up and it lasted for years until I used rislone engine treatment. Whatever it does it helps. It also helped reduce oil consumption on my buick that had over 250k on it. It's cheap and it works. At least it did for me.

Originally Posted By: Indiana79
Just my opinion which is worth what I charge for it. There must be more to rislone than what a cheap analysis shows. I'm a firm believer it works. My ford 5.4 had a very noticeable tap when I would start it up and it lasted for years until I used rislone engine treatment. Whatever it does it helps. It also helped reduce oil consumption on my buick that had over 250k on it. It's cheap and it works. At least it did for me.

You guys do realize this analysis was from '03.

Rislone has a number of products so you need to tell us which product you are discussing.

http://rislone.com/our-products/?category=engine-2

This particular product is an Engine Cleaner and should be used as a Flush:

http://rislone.com/product/engine-treatment/

Quote:
This particular product is an Engine Cleaner and should be used as a Flush:

http://rislone.com/product/engine-treatment/

I used 1/2 bottle of this product to solve a VVT problem on a '03 Pathfinder while visiting my Dad as I didn't have access to my chemistry lab at the time.

Cleared up the problem within 20 miles after adding it to oil.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back