Rifle Shipping How To?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I shipped a rifle from Nevada to Pennsylvania last year. I shipped it to a FFL in Pennsylvania via UPS. You don't have to have a FFL to ship, only to receive.

Originally Posted By: redbone3
I shipped a rifle from Nevada to Pennsylvania last year. I shipped it to a FFL in Pennsylvania via UPS. You don't have to have a FFL to ship, only to receive.

I'm so confused!
crazy2.gif
shocked2.gif

Two different post masters, one here, one in FL., both told me all I have to do is have it insured and send it registered mail! It DOES NOT have to be shipped by an FFL, and it DOES NOT have to be received by an FFL! All I have to do is sign for it.
33.gif

Originally Posted By: BlueOvalFitter
Originally Posted By: redbone3

I'm so confused!
crazy2.gif
shocked2.gif

Two different post masters, one here, one in FL., both told me all I have to do is have it insured and send it registered mail! It DOES NOT have to be shipped by an FFL, and it DOES NOT have to be received by an FFL! All I have to do is sign for it.
33.gif

I belleive they are thinking in state shipping. if you shipped to another person in the state you can without a ffl if i remember correctly out of state it has to go to a ffl . the shipper does not need to be a ffl, but the reciever does .

From the UPS web site: Special Procedures for Shipping Firearms
UPS accepts packages containing firearms (as defined by Title 18, Chapter 44, and Title 26, Chapter 53 of the United States Code) for transportation only (a) between licensed importers, licensed manufacturers, licensed dealers, and licensed collectors (as defined in Title 18, Chapter 44 of the United States Code), and government agencies and (b) where not otherwise prohibited by federal, state or local law (i) from an individual to a licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector; and (ii) from a licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector to an individual.

The shipper must comply with and must ensure that each shipment containing firearms complies with all federal, state and local laws applicable to the shipper, recipient, and package, including, without limitation, age restrictions.

I'm so confused!
crazy2.gif
shocked2.gif

33.gif

Which is why I said:

Originally Posted By: 2015_PSD
However, having transferred more than a few firearms, I can unequivocally say that while the USPS says that it is permissible, actually doing it is another thing entirely--the hassle is not worth it (from my experience--YMMV), and I live in a "gun friendly" state. Using Fed-Ex or UPS (I normally use Fed-Ex) is a far better solution and experience.

I FINALLY got a hold of one of my cousins that has an FFL. He said, all my friend has to do is, get a box, or a gun case, make sure it's sealed, buy insurance, and send it registered mail from FL. to my home address. When my mail person brings it to my door, just sign and say THANK YOU.
I do appreciate all of the replies. THANK YOU everyone.
thumbsup2.gif

I'm about 99% sure that your FFL cousin gave you illegal advice.

It's an out of state transfer. It NEEDS to go to your local dealer.

Why would you transfer it? Myself I would just go pick it up, your in a adjoining state but regardless you only need to go through all the FFL for a purchase to a stranger.
I got around 10 guns from Pennsylvania when my dad died, some pistols. I went up, picked them up and back to Florida. No transfer.

Between 2015PSD’s link to ATF and mine to USPS you have access to all the information you need. I would suggest stop calling people and start arming yourself with correct information.

According to the ATF FAQ, it appears that an inherited firearm is allowed to be transferred between individuals who are residents of different states (some searching on the details is warranted as there are undoubtably some details.) And always considering there are no state or local laws which say otherwise. That said, I find no corresponding exception for shipping, though I have not put in the kind of time and research you should.

Getting sideways with the United States Postal Inspection Service is probably at least as bad as getting sideways with the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives... Don’t get your friend's wife jammed up with either one of them, even if you don’t care about jamming yourself up.

Originally Posted By: Panzerman
Why would you transfer it? Myself I would just go pick it up, your in a adjoining state

Adjoining state? I could drive Florida to New Jersey in the same time frame. Probably an 11 to 15 hour drive, or more. Shipping it would cost about $40, plus a $15 FFL transfer. Or you could spend $200 in gas and 30 hours driving. Easy choice to me.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
I'm about 99%100% sure that your FFL cousin gave you illegal advice. It's an out of state transfer. It NEEDS to go to your local dealer.
Small edit (my words not Bubba's and not suggesting that his original words were incorrect)...and more than a concerning that an FFL holder would say that no matter what state they are in.

Originally Posted By: DuckRyder
Between 2015PSD’s link to ATF and mine to USPS you have access to all the information you need. I would suggest stop calling people and start arming yourself with correct information.

According to the ATF FAQ, it appears that an inherited firearm is allowed to be transferred between individuals who are residents of different states (some searching on the details is warranted as there are undoubtably some details.) And always considering there are no state or local laws which say otherwise. That said, I find no corresponding exception for shipping, though I have not put in the kind of time and research you should.

Getting sideways with the United States Postal Inspection Service is probably at least as bad as getting sideways with the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives... Don’t get your friend's wife jammed up with either one of them, even if you don’t care about jamming yourself up.

Why would I do that? Furthermore, why would you INSINUATE that I would do such a thing? SMH!
I will just contact the BATF and see what they have to say about it.
Again, THANK YOU to those that replied.
smile.gif

I called the Louisiana BATF division (504-841-7000), and, my friend can ship it from the post office to an FFL here in Louisiana. They also suggested that she sends it to my FFL registered mail and put insurance on it.
I'm sorry I caused so much trouble asking you fine members here. I should have just called the BATF in the first place. I was thinking someone here might be an FFL and could advise me, being my cousins were not available.
Now, I have to inform my cousin what he told me was incorrect. I will be nice, being he does my transfers FREE of charge.
THANK YOU to all that replied. You're a great bunch!
smile.gif

Why would I do that? Furthermore, why would you INSINUATE that I would do such a thing? SMH!
smile.gif

Oh, I was not insinuating.

You were about to tell her (or at least it seemed so) to try to go into a post office and mail a firearm from an individual (non-licensee) to an individual (non-licensee) in another state. I already gave you a link to the PE website saying that isn’t OK.

Why would you not have read the links we gave you already and know enough to know that what your cousin was telling you was - in all likelihood - incorrect?

I was trying to save you and her, because there are so many ways that could go wrong it boggles the mind. And even in the unlikely event that she was successful the potential for going wrong doesn’t end when it is delivered to you.

smile.gif

You were about to tell her (or at least it seemed so) to try to go into a post office and mail a firearm from an individual (non-licensee) to an individual (non-licensee) in another state. I already gave you a link to the PE website saying that isn’t OK.

Why would you not have read the links we gave you already and know enough to know that what your cousin was telling you was - in all likelihood - incorrect?

I was trying to save you and her, because there are so many ways that could go wrong it boggles the mind. And even in the unlikely event that she was successful the potential for going wrong doesn’t end when it is delivered to you.

Sorry Mr. DR. I am still grieving from the loss of my friend. He was like a brother to me and that rifle means so much to me. I probably most likely will not shoot it, instead just keep it set aside. Then take it out every now and then and think of the good times he and I had shooting it.
Anyway, thanks again Mr. DR for your extensive help in getting me to see the light. I just miss my friend.

No need to apologize to me.

I am sorry for the loss of your friend - I do understand that.

Sorry that I did not say that earlier.

34.gif

smile.gif

Sorry Mr. DR. I am still grieving from the loss of my friend. He was like a brother to me and that rifle means so much to me. I probably most likely will not shoot it, instead just keep it set aside. Then take it out every now and then and think of the good times he and I had shooting it.
Anyway, thanks again Mr. DR for your extensive help in getting me to see the light. I just miss my friend.

My sincerest condolences on the loss of your friend, BOF.

Your story is similar to mine. My best friend from Highschool until the day he died, passed away in 2004. His brother gave me one of his prized possessions; A Stainless Steel Mini 14. We had some fun times while out shooting. One of the best stories from those outings involved that gun. I remember that day like it was yesterday.

First of all, I am sorry for your loss. I can relate.

As a suggestion, I've found it to be worthwhile to call those agencies that would be investigating any potential wrong-doing for their advice. If you explain your situation, they will be understanding and empathetic.

In this case, I would call my nearest ATF field office and nearest US Postal Inspector field office for advice. I would base my action on the most stringent combination of the responses I received. In this instance, you would know the requirements for a successful interstate firearms transfer and how to avoid any issues with shipments. It may cost you an extra $50 to receive the rifle, but you will know you followed any, and all applicable laws to the letter.

Originally Posted By: 02SE
My sincerest condolences on the loss of your friend, BOF.

Your story is similar to mine. My best friend from Highschool until the day he died, passed away in 2004. His brother gave me one of his prized possessions; A Stainless Steel Mini 14. We had some fun times while out shooting. One of the best stories from those outings involved that gun. I remember that day like it was yesterday.

This is a SS MINI-14 as well. It's the one circled with the arrow above it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back