RGT - will it be going away soon?

Auto Zone yesterday. Red jugs of RGT 5w20 @$10 each, $2/qt. Still blowing it out, so there is supply out there to be had. For a 2010 Acura TL SH-AWD and 2006 Civic.

I have felt pigeon holing it as a “gas truck” oil was poor marketing. Hello, lots of CARS out there, Shell...

It is no less of a good oil, but many folks in the general public aren’t able to make that connection that it would be great in vehicles other than trucks in this day and age. If indeed it is going away, that was the fatal mistake before it even went to market. If they are going to re-launch it with a more catch-all name, then it may have a shot.
I've thought that, too. It's a similar issue I had with the labeling for Valvoline Modern Engine. How many people with cars older than the year listed on the front label steer away because they are unsure if they can use it in their older vehicles?

Hey guy. Oil Newbie here.... I also picked up 6-5QT Jugs and 6-1QT Bottles at less than $80 with tax from Advance Auto. I will be using in my 2018 F150 with 2.7 Ecoboost, currently using M1 5W30(6QT per oil change) I change oil twice a year and drive about 8k per year, but i do tow my 4500lbs loaded travel trailer once or twice a year. My dump question is the RGT that i picked up has a date of Nov2018. Can i use this oil for the next 6 oil changes (3 years) or should i speed up my oil changes to 3 times a year(use it up quicker) since the RGT is already year and half old? Thanks!
No, if the bottle is unopened it will be fine for years.

Is anyone else choosing to avoid this oil because it's labeled "All Mileages," and therefore implies higher levels of seal conditioners (like a high mileage oil)? No need to unnecessarily swell seals, but I'm not sure how much "seal sweller" it actually contains.

I don't understand how seal "conditioners" can cause any issues. I wish my truck was switched to high mileage sooner, the valve seal leak seems to have been reduced somewhat after a year of high mileage oil. Apparently the rear main seal leak is not affected by the seal conditioners because of the type of material it's made of.

I'm going to try to stick to high mileage and hope it continues to improve.

Is anyone else choosing to avoid this oil because it's labeled "All Mileages," and therefore implies higher levels of seal conditioners (like a high mileage oil)? No need to unnecessarily swell seals, but I'm not sure how much "seal sweller" it actually contains.

Has this not been covered 18 billion times? Seal conditioners do not "swell" the seals - they just keep them pliable and functional longer?

Called SHELL and was told it's going nowhere . May get difficult to find . It's also a natural gas product , like that of PENNZOIL synthetics .
Forgot to mention that the customer service rep said the R.G.T. has a 3 year shelf life .

"Just remember to shake it before use. After 9-12 months additives can start to settle our in some cases . "

Could buy a paint shaker . ;)

You just have to shake it enough to be sure the additives aren't stuck on the bottom of the bottle so they actually make it into the engine. After that who cares...the engine will have them back into solution in no time.

Has this not been covered 18 billion times? Seal conditioners do not "swell" the seals - they just keep them pliable and functional longer?
All oils are meant to "swell" seals to some extent. Why don't all oils have "high mileage" levels of these seal conditioners?
The thing I want to know, and the bottle and Shell website info are silent on, is the bottle states "All Mileage". Does this mean the RTG has high-mileage additives in it (extra seal conditioners, etc etc)
That's what I want to know too.

Based off of everything we know, I’m pretty sure AAP/AZ are getting rid of it because it doesn’t sell at $30-40. The stock I picked up was manufactured in 10/2018. More than likely they are making room for either new products from Pennzoil or they are just going to give more space back to Pennzoil products.

It’s good stuff. At less than $10/5QT jug (thanks 20% off!), it cannot be beat.

Just bought a boat load -- 30 quarts the last two days of 0W20 and the only (1) 5 quart jug of 5W30 at Advance Auto here near me. My stash overall is "bloated" at the moment!!!!

I just checked the dates on my stash of RGT. My 5 qt. jugs are dated April of 2019 and my single quarts are dated March of 2018. I had never checked dates on oil before. I wish I had checked the dates before I did an oil change the other day. I would have used the oldest stuff first. I'm old, but I guess there is always more to learn.

Back