REUTERS: EU fines Volkswagen, BMW $1 bln for emissions cartel (Daimler gets off fine after blowing whistle on cartel)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fine BMW a little extra for that hideous new M3 while you're at it, please.
the grill actually looks good in person

russian youtubers were making fun of the thing for a whole year straight but when i saw it in the street my opinion instantly changed

"Under a settlement, Volkswagen (VOWG_p.DE) will pay a fine of 502 million euros and BMW (BMWG.DE) 373 million euros. Daimler, also part of the cartel, was not fined after revealing its existence."

I wonder which (if any) companies are worried on this side of the pond and in ASIA for like "collusion".
Complete BS from Brussels.

russian youtubers were making fun of the thing for a whole year straight but when i saw it in the street my opinion instantly changed
IMO it could be a best described as garish " obtrusively bright and showy; lurid."

I mean it really isn't THAT bad but it looks like that car should be able to smell good wienerschnitzel and sauerkraut from five miles away.

Something doesn't smell right here......

Ya so here's the deal a nutshell. The EU body is claiming that because these three automakers agreed to an equipment standard for an emissions component they in effect agreed to only meet the emissions maximum as required by law rather than compete to produce vehicles were offered levels of emissions which might have been better than the legal maximum. It's complete horse#%#! but of course nobody in Brussels who rendered this decision has a clue as to what it takes to operate a company at a profit by providing a good/service which customers willingly buy.

The EU politicians are pi$$ed that their make-believe, imagined, "new clean technologies" are not coming "faster to market".
That's like a farmer being upset that his pigs won't fly even after he decreed it so.

On teh other hand those manufacturers lied that they can do it and, when they couldn't, they faked the emissions. In detriment of all the Asian and US companies that, being honest, couldn't make those emissions work.

The EU politicians are pi$$ed that their make-believe, imagined, "new clean technologies" are not coming "faster to market".
That's like a farmer being upset that his pigs won't fly even after he decreed it so.

On teh other hand those manufacturers lied that they can do it and, when they couldn't, they faked the emissions. In detriment of all the Asian and US companies that, being honest, couldn't make those emissions work.
But not in this case. One billion dollars in fines for making something supposedly less convenient.

i´ve seen enough skoda or others from vag,smoking like 2stroke when cold.
(however manufacturer manual says 1L/1000km is "normal", i guess i can´t officially put a complaint)😷

But not in this case. One billion dollars in fines for making something supposedly less convenient.
It's entirely possible. The DEF tanks could not be refilled like you would a washer fluid reservoir. They instead required a Kruse adapter which at the time was only sold by one entity in Europe and in the US was only available at the dealer. In the US it was a big deal because it made refilling and stock piling DEF a PITA

It's entirely possible. The UREA tanks could not be refilled like you would a washer fluid reservoir. They instead required a Kruse adapter which at the time was only sold by one entity in Europe and in the US was only available at the dealer.

Mhm. I'm still choking a bit on the $1B penalty, but maybe that's just me.

Telling them they have to give the adapter away for free seems like an equitable solution but again, maybe that's just me.

Mhm. I'm still choking a bit on the $1B penalty, but maybe that's just me.

Telling them they have to give the adapter away for free seems like an equitable solution but again, maybe that's just me.
Ya, it was a secondary issue. The fine is for conspiracy to just meet emissions.

They formed a cartel to not compete with each other to have the lowest emissions, even though that is a feature that some consumers shop for. The idea that the buying public would directly demand low emissions not just the bogieman government, would be dangerous.

As a parallel strategy they agreed to build their DEF systems in a way designed to generate consumer resentment for DEF. They agreed to make the DEF tank small, requiring more frequent refilling, while also making it difficult to refill. Public rejection of DEF technology as inconvenient would lead to pressure on the government to lighten emissions rules.

Last edited:
The industry is way over regulated. Kudo's to them for fighting back and thumbs down to government for proceeding in this way yet again.

Consumers already have so much forced on them they don't want it's ridiculous. I was reminded of this last night as I wrestled with and spilled gas all over trying to use the gas can Lucifer designed to save the planet.

Largely despised stop/start would not even exist without insane government pressure on auto manufacturers.

the us should start making gasoline particulate filters mandatory, maybe also start pushing urea fluid reservoirs too for good measure.

They formed a cartel to not compete with each other to have the lowest emissions, even though that is a feature that some consumers shop for. The idea that the buying public would directly demand low emissions not just the bogieman government, would be dangerous.

As a parallel strategy they agreed to build their DEF systems in a way designed to generate consumer resentment for DEF. They agreed to make the DEF tank small, requiring more frequent refilling, while also making it difficult to refill. Public rejection of DEF technology as inconvenient would lead to pressure on the government to lighten emissions rules.
The DEF tanks being “small” isn’t why people hate it, it’s the fact the systems are finicky and incredibly expensive to fix.

The industry is way over regulated. Kudo's to them for fighting back and thumbs down to government for proceeding in this way yet again.

Consumers already have so much forced on them they don't want it's ridiculous. I was reminded of this last night as I wrestled with and spilled gas all over trying to use the gas can Lucifer designed to save the planet.

Largely despised stop/start would not even exist without insane government pressure on auto manufacturers.
I hate those stupid cans. The good news is they pull apart very very easily and a carefully drilled vent hole transforms them back into the gas cans we know and love.

it’s the fact the systems are finicky and incredibly expensive to fix.
Also part of the plan. Ordinarily the car with a better system would sell more. But here the manufacturers conspired not to build a better system on purpose.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back