REUTERS: EU fines Volkswagen, BMW $1 bln for emissions cartel (Daimler gets off fine after blowing whistle on cartel)

Status
Not open for further replies.

wemay

Site Donor 2023

"Under a settlement, Volkswagen (VOWG_p.DE) will pay a fine of 502 million euros and BMW (BMWG.DE) 373 million euros. Daimler, also part of the cartel, was not fined after revealing its existence."

I wonder which (if any) companies are worried on this side of the pond and in ASIA for like "collusion".

Last edited:
Darn, Volkswagens produce the most robust and totally more reliable cars than any other car brand has in the past 3 decades. They are so fuel efficient that they pollute more into the air so they say, though all Volkswagens are the best when it comes to making the least polluting automobiles, so much so that even the epa has to step in to continue the asian and american car monopoly!

Asian and American cars cannot compete the most ridiculous and rigorous standards that volkswagen has in regards to reliability and powwaaah!

Shall the 1.4 tsi replace the inferior inline 6 in a semi truck one day!

A billion dollar fine for making something "less convenient"?

I agree with VW...

"The nub of the carmakers' complaints boil down to whether setting common technical standards amounts to anti-competitive behaviour - or whether indeed it makes it easier for an industry as a whole to embrace new technology.

The Commission said in its 2019 charge sheet that the German carmakers had colluded to restrict the size of AdBlue tanks between 2006 and 2014, thus making the urea-based additive less convenient to use."

VW said:

"The Commission is entering new judicial territory, because it is treating technical cooperation for the first time as an antitrust violation," Volkswagen said, adding that the fines had been set even though no customers had suffered any harm."

There is no violation of any emissions regulation here whatsoever, they are accused of colluding to require the motorist to fill the DEF tank somewhat more frequently.

A billion dollar fine for making something "less convenient"?

I agree with VW...

"The nub of the carmakers' complaints boil down to whether setting common technical standards amounts to anti-competitive behaviour - or whether indeed it makes it easier for an industry as a whole to embrace new technology.

The Commission said in its 2019 charge sheet that the German carmakers had colluded to restrict the size of AdBlue tanks between 2006 and 2014, thus making the urea-based additive less convenient to use."

VW said:

"The Commission is entering new judicial territory, because it is treating technical cooperation for the first time as an antitrust violation," Volkswagen said, adding that the fines had been set even though no customers had suffered any harm."

There is no violation of any emissions regulation here whatsoever.
This will be in appeals for some time, i'm sure. But how much of this can one company withstand...

works fine for me...hmmm.
Works now. Don't know what that was about.
About the article, not stellar reputations for any involved.
If "dieselgate" didn't happen I wonder if this would even be a story, but now every aspect of diesel vehicles are under scrutiny.

So Stellantis gets off without paying a fine because they were a rat fink?

This in some ways reminds me of how Nissan Renault got a hold of Mitsubishi.
If you read the article, it’s between VW, BMW, and Daimler. Stellantis wasn’t even a thought a decade ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back