Restrictors on TP filters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Steve,

When the filters were manufactured for SKY Corp. (Skipper K. Yee) the restrictor was in the output of the Frantz, and it was molded in the base and drilled. The 0.04 was considered the nominal size, or probably better said, err on the safe side. Now that George Walker Enterprises (Now his daughter Debbie) has the manufacturing rights, the base was redisigned and both the inlet and outlet are now the same size, both drilled out max. A brass screw-in restrictor is now used in the inlet for restriction if used on oil. My guess is the 0.625 is now the size that the screw in restrictor comes in. This is still not a problem, the filter will not lower pressure in the engine, if it does, it would be very minimal. I have not seen the "new" Frantz that is sold by GW Ent. but I have seen the pictures and talked to many who own them and no problems.

The problem with bypass filters is there is no Standard. Each company designs them to their own specs. Some are good, and some are better than no bypass at all.

Most of my Frantz Bypass filters are date stamped 69, so I have recouped my investment. My oldest Frantz was a cannister held on the base plate with 2 knobs. The only reason I mention this is to show you why I am not personally familiar with the new Frantz filters, I have never had a reason to buy a new one, just keep moving to the new vehicles. Now with 2 diesels, I run a Gulf Coast 0-1 on my 95 PSD, and a left over Frantz on my 2001 PSD.

patriot.gif

Do the TP oil filters have flow restrictors or orfices in them? I seem to remember the Gulf Coast TP filter having an orfice but I can't remember the size. I think that if one wated to use it for certain different applications, the orfice had to be drilled out. Of course I can't remember what those other applications were... fuel, coolant? Can someone refresh my memory?

Steve,

The Coolant, Fuel and the Transmission filter are all drilled out if you use the old Frantz filters. On the new ones, they all come drilled out and have a restrictor that can be added or removed depending on application. The same with the transmission, if you are using the inline venturi adapter, then you don't use a restrictor.

On the Gulf Coast 0-1jr, the restrictor has to be drilled out to use for coolant, fuel and trans.

Really easier to address a specific application, as there are some variables on the transmission applications. But all Fuel and Coolant filters are used without a restrictor.

cheers.gif

I was wondering about the restricting orifice also. I understand the need for retricting the flow when used on a car's engine, however, I am wondering if I need the restriction in the following application :
On a tractor hydraulic / transmission sump I am setting up a Frantz that is independant of the system. I have a 12 volt pump that will get the fluid from a drain plug, pump the fluid to the Frantz, and empty into the fill plug. The pump is an internal bypass type set at 35psi and can flow 1.8 gpm. Can I drill out the orifice since pressure loss is not an issue?

On your application I would say yes because you are essentially running the system off line. If you drill out the restrictor and find that the system does not work, you can add a restrictor back in the system. You can purchase the restrictor at most auto stores such as NAPA or you can order it from Frantz.

When you drill out the restrictor in a Frantz, you must remove the center seal, washer and both screens. Drill out the orfice, clean everything up and reinstall both screens, and the center seal and washer. Don't drill through the screens.

dunno.gif

One thing I always liked about the sandwich adapters was they took the stress off the element. There are other ways to take the stress off the element such as smaller orifices or multiple filters in parallel fed with one small orifice. One advantage of the large Gulf Coast filters is they are fed thru a 1/16"orifice and the element is so large that the oil soaks thru instead of being forced thru. The large double element filter filters oil at the same rate as a Frantz, Motor Guard or GCF 0-1 jr. Motor Guard found a nitch with one pass filtering where every thing has to be removed in one pass. Very important for medical, instrumentation, fuel and other critical uses. It takes a very leak resistant filter to use a sandwich adapter because you have full oil pressure on the housing. Normally we remove the orifice for use with the samdwich adapter but I dont think it is necessary with a Perma-Cool adapter. Almost all of the filters I sell now are for use with the sandwich adapter.

Ralph
burnout.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back