Replacing tires based on age

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks - car spent a lot of time parked outside. The wet traction is pretty bad already, so I am going to start looking. I really hate buying tires for some reason - I have terrible luck destroying one within six months of the purchase, and end up with a mix set.

Originally Posted By: Linctex
When I have "old" tires I want to change soon, I'll usually burn 'em off - like in a friend's driveway, or something
grin.gif
crackmeup2.gif
cheers3.gif

"burners" yep

Quote:
I LOVE buying new tires! Can't wait for current ones to wear out, gives me an excuse to go tire shopping.

There must be a trick I'm missing. Every place I go - they don't have the model I researched, the installation is $600, and it feels like I'm driving a tractor. (This is how I ended up with the Kumhos that slide all over in 1/2 inch of snow.)

Originally Posted By: Chester11

There must be s trick I'm missing. Every place I go - they don't have the model I researched, the installation is $600, and it feels like I'm driving a tractor. (This is how I nded up with the Kumhos that slide all over in 1/2in of snow.)

Practice makes perfect.
smile.gif
Checked my tirerack account. In the past 8 years I have bought 52 tires.

Last edited:
Wowzer. Bugs me when I have to buy two sets inside of a year.

I've been very happy to have found the RT43's for my Camry's; tire shopping became trivial. Unlike the recent shoes for my truck--I must have spent 10 hours trying to decide between two models.

Originally Posted By: supton
Wowzer. Bugs me when I have to buy two sets inside of a year.

And that is only from the Tirerack. There are many brands they don't carry, so on top of those 52:

2 sets Nokian Hakka R2
1 set Nokian WRG2
1 set Nokian Hakka 5 studded
1 set Toyo GSI-5
1 set Vredestein Quatrac
1 set Toyo Versado

Probably missing some in there.

My wife has a shoe problem, I have a car shoe problem.

9 years max for me (hot climate) on my cars. I speak from experience. My 10 year old full sized spare Bridgestone (never been used) replaced a rear flat tire and blew up at 35 mph on a good road (big rupture on the tread) 5 days after I installed it. I eyeballed that tire carefully before mounting it, and it looked perfect.

Originally Posted By: Chester11
Hi Folks:

Is there a consensus on when tires should be replaced based on age?

The vehicle isn't driven much, and the rubber looks ok. The date code is 7 years ago.

Replacement time?

Yes. Dot says no sale of old tires. That's because they do bad things to unsuspecting drivers. I would replace them asap and not push them hard at all until they are replaced

My cars for their model year are both low mileage. I live in the wet side in Washington State but I don't have a garage. So the tires tend to take some UV. I never wear them out I just replace them at about 6 years. My Schwab Toyo's only had 50,000 miles on them but the sidewalls were beginning to check. I want new tires before the fall rains started.

Garaged and in PA they should last at least 18 years. I've run tires that long, and they looked OK when removed too (and car was parked outside some of the time).

Originally Posted By: mightymousetech
Originally Posted By: Superflop
At work 10 years. Personal vehicles never make it that long on a set

Exactly the same here. Our shop recommends replacement at 10 years. I am lucky to get 2 years on my own.
wink.gif

In Germany, the law states tires can not be more than 10 years, and can not be installed at 7 years.

The ten year rule only applies to lorries and buses. A tyre older than ten years will makes a heavy vehicle fail the safety inspection.
With cars there is no age limit, only the actual tyre condition counts. Faulty tyres (cracks, dry rot, bumps, uneven wear, worn down below legal minimum etc) are a fail.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: turboseize
...... With cars there is no age limit, only the actual tyre condition counts. Faulty tyres (cracks, dry rot, bumps, uneven wear, worn down below legal minimum etc) are a fail.

Be careful here. Many tire manufacturers use a sidewall compound that is pretty resistant to weather cracking - which is one of the things people use to judge the condition of the tire. In other words, if you are using sidewall cracking to decide whether to remove a tire, you are going to be fooled by some brands!

And don't forget, we are using cracking to judge the rubber INSIDE the tire. Cracks on the outside don't cause issues in and of themselves.

Exactly the same here. Our shop recommends replacement at 10 years. I am lucky to get 2 years on my own.
wink.gif

In Germany, the law states tires can not be more than 10 years, and can not be installed at 7 years.

The ten year rule only applies to lorries and buses. A tyre older than ten years will makes a heavy vehicle fail the safety inspection.
With cars there is no age limit, only the actual tyre condition counts. Faulty tyres (cracks, dry rot, bumps, uneven wear, worn down below legal minimum etc) are a fail.

Depends what country you are in. In Germany it is illegal to use a tire over 10 years, it will fail TUV.

For those using tires older than that, have you ever measured the durometer of the tires? You will be surprised how much harder the rubber is compared to a new tire. Hope you are never in a panic stop situation.

A tire durometer gauge is a very useful tool.

longacre-50547-digital-durometer_22466881.jpeg

Last edited:
I ran a set of 12+ year old CHP Eagles...the rubber was softer than the tires they replaced, and the tires that replaced them.

wink.gif

Depends what country you are in. In Germany it is illegal to use a tire over 10 years, it will fail TUV.

For those using tires older than that, have you ever measured the durometer of the tires? You will be surprised how much harder the rubber is compared to a new tire. Hope you are never in a panic stop situation.

A tire durometer gauge is a very useful tool.

longacre-50547-digital-durometer_22466881.jpeg

As I said: no, you will not automatically fail HU (Hauptuntersuchung, aka "TÜV") when your car tyres are older than 10 years. On a bus or lorry tyres older than 10 years are not allowed. On a car, no problem (when they are in good condition).

These were on the MKZ when I bought it-they were on there long enough for me to get an appointment at the tire shop.

These are the OEM tires, and I got the car earlier this year.

As I said: no, you will not automatically fail HU (Hauptuntersuchung, aka "TÜV") when your car tyres are older than 10 years. On a bus or lorry tyres older than 10 years are not allowed. On a car, no problem (when they are in good condition).

Sorry, for some reason I though you were in the UK. Thank you for the clarification. Looks like they will not fail TUV automatically, but they will be suspect.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back