Replacing AC capacitor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Went to a local HVAC supplier and got a replacement -- Packard Titan Pro TRCFD355 model. HD has it for around $11 on special order, the parts store charged about $18 (70% premium). It's made in China, not the US. While I was there, I got a replacement contactor as well for $26.

So my hope is that this will fix the issue and I will have saved $400+ with DIY. If not then it's time for a new compressor
frown.gif

Originally Posted By: Alfred_B
Went to a local HVAC supplier and got a replacement -- Packard Titan Pro TRCFD355 model. HD has it for around $11 on special order, the parts store charged about $18 (70% premium). It's made in China, not the US. While I was there, I got a replacement contactor as well for $26.

So my hope is that this will fix the issue and I will have saved $400+ with DIY. If not then it's time for a new compressor
frown.gif

Smart move, on both parts.

I now replace my cap AND contactor EVERY 5 YEARS (ordered online long before needed = $ 12 ea) as preventative maintenance off season; it will MAXIMIZE compressor life, and never get stuck with cap/contactor failure in hottest part of season (max load).

Coil cleaner at least every other year (disassemble condensor to clean coil, remove leaves/grass / water spray every year or more . . ).

Originally Posted By: Alfred_B

frown.gif

The Titan Pro is Packard's Chinese line. Still a decent cap, but the Titan HD is USA and would have probably been near $30 from the HVAC supplier. $26 for a contactor is not bad. I keep a spare of both for my central unit just in case.

So...

over the weekend replaced the capacitor and the contactor, turned on the power supply and the AC.

Nothing!

Disconnected, the power, revisited everything and all seemed in order. Then the light bulb went off in my head to check the incoming voltage.

Nothing!

I had some contractors doing work a couple of weeks ago and they apparently had switched off the power supply to the panel supplying the compressor that I had no idea about. So all this time the house was a sweltering mess because they had turned off the power. The buzzing sound I had been hearing was contactor getting engaged (the 24v is supplied by the thermostat).

I will file this under the "learning experience" and "service that needed to be done anyway" categories.

Wow...as you discovered, it pays to start with the basics: Power. Is it on? Fuse blown? Breaker Tripped? What's the voltmeter say?

I just went through an A/C down due to a swollen cap that I replaced 6yrs ago. The previous GE made-in-the-USA cap lasted nearly 20yrs! In humid Texas heat no less where we only have two seasons: SUMMER and February.

The cap that lasted 6yrs was a Proline made in Mexico. I replaced it with an Amrak USA made. Cost me $45 locally.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back