Replacement 2-stroke oil for Husqvarna XP

I don't use the Stihl often, usually for sawing up limbs that fall around the place or maybe to fell a dead tree on occasion so I don't need much mixed fuel on hand. Actually a tankful a year will probably be about all I go through. I've calculated it down to two teaspoons of oil per 16oz of fuel (mixing in a government certified Dr. Pepper bottle). That amount is basically what the Pro 26 fuel tank holds.

I just finished sawing up a large limb and the tank is about empty (was close to empty when I started). I fuel had been in there "a while" and had stabilizer in it. The saw ran fine. But, when I went to mix some more fuel up I found my old can of Husqvarna XP 2-stroke oil didn't have a nice oily smell to it. This oil is probably 5-6 years old and has been in a half-full bottle for half of that time. Rather than risking using it I decided to get some new oil. I've been using Husqvarna XP oil but don't see it listed...just the "XP+". I was at Wallyworld yesterday and picked up two 2.6oz bottles of oil. One bottle is the Super Tech (housebrand?) Universal Engine Oil. The other bottle is VP Racing Full-Synthetic oil. Which of these two oils would be best to replace the Husqvarna XP with?

Thanks!

Thanks for the VP Racing info! I may go with that. I'm kind of curious as to whether the old Husqvarna XP oil was dino or synthetic.

I just looked at see that Tractor Supply has a quart can of Husqvarna XP pre-mix fuel. Definitely pricey stuff, but rather attractive to my usage and storage requirements. Right now I've got some 89 octane ethanol diseased gas treated with Marine Stabil-360 that I'm planning on mixing with the oil if I go with me mixing it...I imagine that the octane rating will drop a couple of points once the oil is added. I guess I could pick up a little bit of higher octane gas to do the mix with, though. That Husqvarna pre-mix is appealing, though.

Thanks for the VP Racing info! I may go with that. I'm kind of curious as to whether the old Husqvarna XP oil was dino or synthetic.

I just looked at see that Tractor Supply has a quart can of Husqvarna XP pre-mix fuel. Definitely pricey stuff, but rather attractive to my usage and storage requirements. Right now I've got some 89 octane ethanol diseased gas treated with Marine Stabil-360 that I'm planning on mixing with the oil if I go with me mixing it...I imagine that the octane rating will drop a couple of points once the oil is added. I guess I could pick up a little bit of higher octane gas to do the mix with, though. That Husqvarna pre-mix is appealing, though.
In my area Walmart carries the premixed SEF 2-cycle fuel in 40:1/50:1 universal mix. It's made by VP Racing in San Antonio as well. That might be a cheaper but still solid option as well. $5 per quart or $20/gallon.

I tried 40:1 Tru fuel in my old Stihl. Starts fast and idles higher. But seems to use it at a higher rate than my normal 32:1 mix. I use the empty can to mix in

my husqvarna manual recommends 90 or higher octane NON eathanol gas!! 50 to 1 gonna give 40-1 a go as its said to be more protective!

For such a small amount of fuel you use I would just get the pre-mixed. You might have to adjust the carburetor but it won't go bad as quickly and you won't have to deal with mixing fuel anymore.

Don't even bother mixing it yourself. There are options like VP, True Fuel, Super Tech, Stihl, Husqvarna pre mixed fuel and more. All those fuels have all the additives for long storage and mix already done. Less headache for you and more enjoyment using your tools.

Don't even bother mixing it yourself. There are options like VP, True Fuel, Super Tech, Stihl, Husqvarna pre mixed fuel and more. All those fuels have all the additives for long storage and mix already done. Less headache for you and more enjoyment using your tools.

I would actually skip the TruFuel after watching Chicanic's youtube videos. Personally, I cut a lot of wood and make 1-2 gallon batches, but if the powersaw is put away for a while, I've had good luck with Harvest King canned fuel from Runnings, which has stabilizer and is FD rated.

Amsoil Sabre 50/1 mix in everything - Stihl chainsaw- Echo leaf blower- Husqvarna string trimmer and Stihl string trimmer. no smoke and no smell. Also 89 gas. I buy it by the quart and it will make 12 gallons.

my husqvarna manual recommends 90 or higher octane NON eathanol gas!! 50 to 1 gonna give 40-1 a go as its said to be more protective!
If you have an airport nearby you can pick up mogas unleaded which is 98 Octane I think. I've used 100LL mixed with vp for the last couple of seasons. My Stihl idles and has great throttle response using it. I'm hoping the 100LL doesn't foul the spark arrestor

I would actually skip the TruFuel after watching Chicanic's youtube videos. Personally, I cut a lot of wood and make 1-2 gallon batches, but if the powersaw is put away for a while, I've had good luck with Harvest King canned fuel from Runnings, which has stabilizer and is FD rated.
I mix my own also, and add some extra stuff in it too. But I use about 6+ gallons of mixed fuel a season. Plus now I started to cut my own firewood. But in OP situation premixed fuel is the way to go.

Back