Replaced battery today

Status
Not open for further replies.
Northstar batteries claim to have the 99.9% pure lead batteries. I am thinking the high cost of their batteries is from the expensive process of attaining a much higher lead purity level.

Originally Posted By: Duffyjr
I had a mech tell me that batteries don't last as long as they use to because of the recycled lead is not as good as virgin lead. I wonder if there is any truth to that!

Yeah no, that’s a load of woofy. They fail because they’re designed with thinner plates with high surface area, as the plates age and sulfate they thin even more until either a plate breaks or the shed material at the bottom of the cell shorts the cell out and kills the battery.

I would think that recycled batteries provide a more pure lead source for refining than ore dug up out of the ground.

Originally Posted By: SubieRubyRoo
Mine seem to last about 3 weeks longer than the warranty. My brother has been a mechanic for about 20 years now and in his opinion the 96R is one of the worst; none of the manufacturers seem to make a “better” 96R. IMHO buy the cheapest one since you’ll be replacing it in short order.

You can use a group 47 (H5) battery in place of the 96R, or a group 48 (H6) battery if there's room (the group 48 is wider).

As far as I can determine, the 96R battery originated with the Ford Contour/Mercury Mystique. That platform was designed in Europe, so it was designed to use a European type battery, like the group 47/48 batteries.

Ford apparently wanted a "cheaper" recessed, reverse-terminal European style battery to use in the Contour/Mystique so out comes the 96R. Not having the remote venting provision of the group 47/48 H5/H6 batteries and leaving off the side mounting flanges probably saved Ford a whole 50 cents per battery!

I had a Contour way back when and I used nothing but Group 47 batteries in it..mainly because nobody stocked the 96R battery. Pretty sure a Group 48 would have fit in that car, never tried it.

Originally Posted By: y_p_w
Originally Posted By: Andy636
Sorry about your misfortune.

I'm not familiar with the coding in the US, but on this side of the pound Bosch batteries are coded S3, S4 and S5.

Got two S5 running in two diesel vehicles like a clock for about 5 years each and that is quite good since we have hot summers and pretty could winters (100 to -5)

Batteries in the US are typically given a month/year code. The old way was a letter for the month and a single digit for the year. So a fairly recent A-5 would have meant January 2015. However, more recently they've shifted to a direct code. I remember seeing a combination with the old and new codes, but these days it's more like 02/18. That's what I saw on my last battery purchased last month.

Andy is referring to the model names, not date codes. Bosch's European battery lines carry S3-S6 monikers.

A shame, because that's what I did in my wife's 2011 Mustang. I cut out the spacers in the battery tray that reduces it from Group 48 size to fit a Group 96R, and her battery cables had enough slack to accomodate a Group 48. So after 7 years of no problem service on the factory flooded Group 96R, I replaced it with a Group 48 Bosch AGM.

Now I don't need to deal with the Group 96R on her car.

I haven't looked into what to do on my niece's 2013 Focus yet when the time comes to replace the factory Group 96R in it but I reckon I'll figure something out.

Originally Posted By: Carmudgeon
Originally Posted By: Andy636
Sorry about your misfortune.

I'm not familiar with the coding in the US, but on this side of the pound Bosch batteries are coded S3, S4 and S5.

Got two S5 running in two diesel vehicles like a clock for about 5 years each and that is quite good since we have hot summers and pretty could winters (100 to -5)

Batteries in the US are typically given a month/year code. The old way was a letter for the month and a single digit for the year. So a fairly recent A-5 would have meant January 2015. However, more recently they've shifted to a direct code. I remember seeing a combination with the old and new codes, but these days it's more like 02/18. That's what I saw on my last battery purchased last month.

Andy is referring to the model names, not date codes. Bosch's European battery lines carry S3-S6 monikers.

Sorry - had date codes on my mind for some reason.

However, I think a lot gets lost because Bosch in many ways is just a brand that's licensed or just used as brand name. I'm pretty sure that Bosch branded batteries sold in the US are from one of the big names.

Originally Posted By: SilverFusion2010

This was the second Bosch battery that has died in 3 years. Made by Johnson Controls. Junk

If I'm not mistaken, I think Exide makes Bosch-branded batteries. The funny part is, while most of us here think Exide makes garbage, they also have OEM supply contracts in place with FCA and Toyota and I've heard and seen Exide batteries go beyond the 3-4 year mark or still start a car even though the terminals were badly corroded and puking acid.

A car I maintain had a AAA-branded Exide die recently. AAA replaced the battery with one of their newer Dekas and from what I've heard the dead battery was 9 years old. A friend's former Subaru had an Bosch-branded Exide made in 2011 that was corroded. Car still started, I cleaned it up and told him to be ready for a new battery.

5.5 year old Rural King Exide battery in the Matrix still going strong. Had the $3.50 battery service done at Walmart TLE which solved the corroded terminal problem. Never charged up on a battery charger. Sometimes esp on short trips I'll leave the radio and hvac systems off to help the alt. charge it better. Plus don't have accessories on while the engine is off.

However, I think a lot gets lost because Bosch in many ways is just a brand that's licensed or just used as brand name. I'm pretty sure that Bosch branded batteries sold in the US are from one of the big names.

Bosch used to have its own battery business many moons ago, which was merged with Varta, which was eventually acquired by JCI. But I don't think it had a presence in the U.S.

The ones in the U.S. sold by Pep Boys have always been rebranded; first JCI, and now Exide. If a case doesn't provide enough clues, the big white date sticker with the warning text is the giveaway that it's Exide. JCI likes their little round ones with month/day. Not sure what EP uses.

In general, I've never really been keen on Bosch replacement parts, which are often sourced from joint ventures or other suppliers (stuff like filters or other consumables).

The OEM component parts (meaning sensors, alternators and such), which come from in-house, are fine, except for maybe the spark plugs, which are nothing special.

But Bosch is a big name, so there are benefits for it and/or Pep Boys to have their relationship.

Originally Posted By: Carmudgeon

Bosch used to have its own battery business many moons ago, which was merged with Varta, which was eventually acquired by JCI. But I don't think it had a presence in the U.S.

The ones in the U.S. sold by Pep Boys have always been rebranded; first JCI, and now Exide. If a case doesn't provide enough clues, the big white date sticker with the warning text is the giveaway that it's Exide. JCI likes their little round ones with month/day. Not sure what EP uses.

In general, I've never really been keen on Bosch replacement parts, which are often sourced from joint ventures or other suppliers (stuff like filters or other consumables).

The OEM component parts (meaning sensors, alternators and such), which come from in-house, are fine, except for maybe the spark plugs, which are nothing special.

But Bosch is a big name, so there are benefits for it and/or Pep Boys to have their relationship.

East Penn now uses month/year as in 02/18. That was the sticker on the Deka I got last month.

Bosch is essentially traded as a name. I remember getting Bosch branded wiper blades back when they were sold as inexpensive refills for narrow wipers. They were cheaper than anything else I could find at a specific store.

I remember when a shop used to carry Bosch plugs. The said they stopped not because their standard plugs were garbage, but that their platinums had a nasty habit of melting because they used that fine wire buried flush in the insulator.

But of course they trade on the impression that German brands are better. Even if it's just a name slapped on a competently made, but otherwise generic product like a Champion Labs oil filter or a Johnson Controls battery.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back