Replace rotors but not pads?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for responding - sorry for the double thread. See also https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ub...ds?#Post4674922

For background - these pads are about 2 years old. I was pressed for time - the rotor and screws are badly rusted to the hub. I broke my impact driver on another vehicle (after spending hours trying to get them removed) and just kicked the can down the road until now.

To answer questions. It's a Honda CRV, all rotors were measured at the last state inspection and found ok, but will likely fail during the next one.

Originally Posted By: Chester11
Thanks for responding - sorry for the double thread. See also https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ub...ds?#Post4674922

For background - these pads are about 2 years old. I was pressed for time - the rotor and screws are badly rusted to the hub. I broke my impact driver on another vehicle (after spending hours trying to get them removed) and just kicked the can down the road until now.

To answer questions. It's a Honda CRV, all rotors were measured at the last state inspection and found ok, but will likely fail during the next one.

I'd just get new pads. For me, I change pads every 2-3 years. Usually at that stage, they're usually at least 1/3 to 1/2 worn or more. Plus if you get lifetime pads, you can just get another set of pads later without paying for them. Like others said, they're only around $30 for a lifetime pad.

As I mentioned in your other thread, you should have no problem with re-using your old pads as long as they are not heat-cracked and have sufficient life remaining. Get a sheet of 80-grit sandpaper and run the pad across the sandpaper until the surface is flat and all pad glazing is removed. Clean the pad with brake cleaning before re-installing.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
As I mentioned in your other thread, you should have no problem with re-using your old pads as long as they are not heat-cracked and have sufficient life remaining. Get a sheet of 80-grit sandpaper and run the pad across the sandpaper until the surface is flat and all pad glazing is removed. Clean the pad with brake cleaning before re-installing.

This.

Exactly what you want to do here if you are re-using the pads.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back