Repairing Screw Holes in Trex

I had a couple of miscalculations when installing my Trex hand rails and ended up with 12 decking screw holes that I notice too often.

Is there a correct and easy way to seal these holes? Or should I just live with it and be happy?

Attachments

• IMG_7653.jpeg
    IMG_7653.jpeg
    210.9 KB · Views: 42
Heat up a little with heat gun and smooth it out, maybe squirt a little hot glue gun in any remaining holes?
Google it, I'm sure some contractor somewhere has figured this out. Trex doesn't have any sawdust filler does it?

They make kits for that. It is a round plug of trex and a plug type bit that extracts the amount the plug will be pounded into.

I'm thinking a roofing nail held in a vice grip with the flat head heated with a torch and smooth it out. I have not tried this, but practice on a scrap.

LOL, I hate to drill out a bigger hole but....

I don't want you to mess it up further, BUT... what if you took a razor blade and trimmed it flat, took the shavings and stuffed them down into the holes, then threw a piece of parchment paper over the area and used the tip of a regular clothes iron to smooth it down? This might be worth trying as a test in an inconspicuous area first!

Otherwise, I'd trim it down with a razor blade, mix the shavings with epoxy and fill with that.

I'd make a putty out of resin and fine filings from a spare piece of Trex. I'd use 80 grit or finer sandpaper for a good result. Fill the holes, let cure, then sand flush. I use the homemade putty approach with many materials, including wood, plastic, and metal. For making metal putty I have powdered metals on hand. Use the same material you are repairing mixed with clear resin. You don't need much resin to make a putty. The color will be a close match.

Last edited:
I'm thinking a roofing nail held in a vice grip with the flat head heated with a torch and smooth it out. I have not tried this, but practice on a scrap.
WINNER WINNER CHICKEN DINNER!!!!!

Back