Repairing Paint Chips

Status
Not open for further replies.
So a few days ago I took some touchup paint and a needle and filled in all the paint chips on our Highlander at 70,000 miles. Yesterday I wet sanded them with 1000, then 2000 grit paper, then used "3M Finish Restorer", then Meguires gold liquid polish/wax. Everything looks better, the touchup was a bit darker but certainly looks better than the gray of the galvanized metal.

My question is, this took a lot longer than I would have liked especially the buffing. Is it that 1000 grit paper was too rough and I should have started with 1500 or just used 2000? Or should I be using a better rubbing compound that's more aggressive than the "finish restorer" which is more an aggressive polish than a true rubbing compound?

Originally Posted By: bepperb
So a few days ago I took some touchup paint and a needle and filled in all the paint chips on our Highlander at 70,000 miles. Yesterday I wet sanded them with 1000, then 2000 grit paper, then used "3M Finish Restorer", then Meguires gold liquid polish/wax. Everything looks better, the touchup was a bit darker but certainly looks better than the gray of the galvanized metal.

My question is, this took a lot longer than I would have liked especially the buffing. Is it that 1000 grit paper was too rough and I should have started with 1500 or just used 2000? Or should I be using a better rubbing compound that's more aggressive than the "finish restorer" which is more an aggressive polish than a true rubbing compound?

Why not just touch them up without sanding and buffing? If you just want to hide the primer, from 5 ft away you can't see the chips anyway. That's all I do and nobody but me can see the touchups.

Well, that was the original plan. And you're probably right. But, I wasn't satisfied.

You can't see them from a foot away now, but the process was slower than I think it could have been. I'm most interested in what would speed this up in the future, I guess I'll buy some rubbing compound and only use 2000 grit next time and see how much faster it goes... I just figured other BITOGers would have the same problem, and a more realistic less "it has to be perfect" answer than I'd get at Autopia.

Have you looked into Dr. Colorchip? I have used it on my BMW with fantastic results. Fast, easy to apply and color matches perfectly. I usually do 2-3 applications to get the proper "fill" of the chips. Either way, much faster than addressing each chip individually.

I was also just going to write about Dr. Colorchip..

I took some photos with one half of the hood done to demonstrate to others the effectiveness, I just don't have time to post about it right now.

At any rate, it works VERY well for the 6' view (and closer, depending on the depth of your damage).

Get 2500 and 3000 papers. You will have to order them online. If you don't want to do that, pick up Quixx kit from nearest Walmart. It is expensive but has 3000 paper for wet sanding. Also the #1 and #2 tubes work great.

Another suggestion is Meguiar 105 or if that is not available, Meguair Ultimate Compound from local Walmart.

By the way, if you have metallic paint, the repaired chip will have different shade after buffing.

- Vikas

Originally Posted By: Vikas

Another suggestion is Meguiar 105 or if that is not available, Meguair Ultimate Compound from local Walmart.

By the way, if you have metallic paint, the repaired chip will have different shade after buffing.

- Vikas

After M105 you'll need M205 or Swirl-X 2.0 to refine the finish.

The initial cutting may need to be done with a Rotary or a Flex 3401XRG and a wool pad to remove the sanding marks. Then you may need a DA polisher to refine the finish.

Here's some text from a post I made in another forum about Dr. Colorchip:

Hi all. I wanted to contribute to this community by relating my experience with Dr. ColorChip http://www.drcolorchip.com/

The Dr. Color Chip system consists of custom-order touchup paint blended to work with their leveling agent "SealAct". It comes with various kinds of applicators. It's designed to be applied, smudged in with your thumb, dry, then leveled with SealAct.

I ordered a "road rash kit" (their largest kit) custom mixed to my paint colour (Barritz Blue code #363). I spend some time in the nice weather on this extra long weekend using it on the hood of the E39. I'll start out by saying that my expectations were pretty realistic. I've got a 12 year old daily driver with no 3M film protection on the hood, a dark paint colour, and all-original paint. That being said, it still shines up really nice and the white chips and road rash really stand out when it's clean. I've seen more bad re-sprays than good ones, and you have to worry about contamination (fish eyes in the paint), colour matching, overspray, dribbles/runs, and cost. It's simply not in the budget to get a guaranteed-good (ie. expensive) respray just for stone chips, and a mediocre respray could look worse than what I started with. Here's where the $50 kit comes into play...

In some places you can't tell where any of the damage was. For the worst strikes there are still differences in the paint level, but at least the chip is filled with perfectly matched paint. Given patience these deep defects could be leveled I'm sure. I found the colour matched better than my dealer or body shop provided touch up paints I had been using previously.

I found when using the SealAct, that it works best to have bright, diffused, oblique-angle lighting available. In my case I backed into the garage and had lots of daylight. I looked at an angle at the reflection of the clear blue sky (but not direct sunlight) in the paint. While doing this I was able to see the SealAct working on the dabs of paint. They would leave trails like comets in the hazy coating of SealAct. You could just from the character of the trails when you had rubbed enough and how things were looking. If I didn't use this lighting technique I found it very difficult to tell what was going on - when was enough and when was too much. This might be responsible poor results if you aren't careful.

As for the amount of SealAct, I found it worked best to apply enough that it was smeary or greasy on the surface of the paint, not just hazy. Hazy dried between wipes and wasn't as effective. Try to use "just enough" to get the cut you need on the blobs.

Note that there's two ways to use the system. One way has you dob/apply the paint with a tool and smudge it into individual chips. The second way is to dip a rag in the paint and smear it on like wax. The first way works much better, but simply wasn't realistically possible for the rashy area at the front of my hood (from the roundel down, say). Above the roundel I treated chips individually - it used less resources and gave better results, but took a lot more time.

So, on to the result pictures.

For these pictures I had used the system on the passenger side of the hood and not the driver's side. There is only one "method #2" application in the rash area at the roundel and below. Note that the car hasn't had a stitch of detailing since before winter in October or so so please don't mock other swirlies or "holograms" in the finish. This is as bad as the car gets and I'm sure my routine spring detailing will restore good looks, especially with the chips virtually gone. In direct sunshine I do notice a little bit of haze still in the front section and probably need another pass of SealAct.

I produced two sets of pictures - one processed normally and one with really "hot" processing to attempt to highlight the chips. Please note that I had difficult lighting to deal with and I can't control the sun so it wasn't ideal for demonstration purposes but I think it gets the point across. I've put 800 pixel reductions in line, and offered links to full resolution versions.

I believe the "hot" versions of the first two pictures tell the most.

My goal here was the "six foot view". The "dab" method of treating individual chips worked far better than the "rub" method suggested for the rash area. Many of the "dabbed" chips were completely invisible. Of course the deepest chips aren't invisible, but the colour match was perfect. I would guess that a patient person could build up the paint in the deepest chips until they were invisible.

Photo #1: still in the garage, indirect lighting

IMG_3609_800.jpg

IMG_3609_hot_800.jpg

Fullsize links: NORMAL | HOT

Photo #2: Direct sun, bearing 10:00 high

IMG_3643_800.jpg

IMG_3643_hot_800.jpg

Photo #3: Closer view, showing the transition area

IMG_3648_800.jpg

IMG_3648_hot_800.jpg

Photo #4: Another view showing the transition area (and me)

IMG_3649_800.jpg

IMG_3649_hot_800.jpg

Craig, your pictures mirror my experience, with my black Mazdaspeed3. I like Dr.Colorchip so much I now have touch up kits for all four of the cars here. Very, very good product!

Wow. What a difference. Everything you mentioned about not having it resprayed has actually happened to me and I was VERY hesitant on doing it again. The new CRV has already taken a few hits. I actually got the 3M film, but it didn't fit. The manufacturer swore up and down that it was my fault, even though the headlight film went on perfectly. They sent me another one after I tore the first one up from stretching the bejesus out of it trying to get it to fit, but it was the EXACT same cut. I've done plenty of tint jobs in the past and know good and well that it wasn't user error. This was back in January and the company said that they have actually covered the front bumper on this model many times and they've had no problems. Right, whatever. Bunch of balony if you ask me because that particular model came out in December and the front end was redesigned... If you order from these guys http://www.clearmask.com/ make sure you know what your getting yourself into and for those of you that remember my earlier post on this, yeah, I'm still &ISSED. So, I had thought that eventually I'll just have to take the plunge and have it re-shot at some point and dred the other problems that come with it.
I have read up on Dr. Chip's products and like the idea behind it. Sounded sound. Now, after reading your experiences, I fell more confident. Thanks for the info!!

Last edited:
I bought Langka a few years ago and was really disappointed, I had body shop and Honda paint and it would just rub right out of the chip, or be too hard to get off. I tried one hour, two hours, four hours... etc and just couldn't get it right.

Now that the big chips are filled, the small spec of sand size ones are annoying. Perhaps I'll give colorchip a try since it's probably easier to use than my method for small chips.

But, assuming dr colorchip won't do the larger chips perfectly, large scratches, wheels, my hitch, the roof rails from carrying canoes... etc there is probably more value in the wet sand method. I'll pick up some of the Meguires compounds mentioned and use those next time.

3000 grit intrigues me. I have up to 2000 because I sharpen woodworking tools with sandpaper on glass. 2000 leaves a mirror finish on tool steel, apparently not on clearcoat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back