"Repairing" headlight lens oxidation?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: BrocLuno
Glass lights don't have this issue - buy older cars
laugh.gif

Man,no doubt! My 300ZX's headlights are glass and they look brand new!!
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
I had a mobile retailer come out last year and he just buffed out the headlights. They looked decent for about a month.

I've used Rustoleum clear coat on wheels before and it's textured. Not smooth.

The Meguiars Headlight coating is decent and is available at Walmart. Although I'm sure there are better deals out there price-wise. Since one bottle does one pair of headlights. Although I put several coats on per the directions. Letting each coat dry a few minutes each.

Before spraying wipe them down with some 70% rubbing alcohol to remove all the polishing oils from the surface.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
Originally Posted By: Bluestream
Wet sand with 800 > 1500 > 2000 Then use a buffer with polishing compound...Like new and cost is nil

Don't stop there, apply something to protect them or they will look terrible again very soon. Even Meguiars sells a headlight coating now that seems like a clear coat. I used it last June so we'll see how it holds up. I applied Plasti-X before that and thought it did a nice job esp without any sanding.

You dont need anything extra to add on to protect. Its just plastic, and they come from the factory without protection. i'm at 5 years and mine are still clear as when i did the repair. Even if they did yellow, 5 mins work, and 50 cents of material brings it back

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Bluestream

You dont need anything extra to add on to protect. Its just plastic, and they come from the factory without protection. i'm at 5 years and mine are still clear as when i did the repair. Even if they did yellow, 5 mins work, and 50 cents of material brings it back

They all have a protective coating applied at the factory, some coatings are better than others but its there 100%.

A very reliable source told me that avoiding commercial car washes altogether will result in the headlight lenses remaining clear for years longer. I can't prove that because I always hand wash at home and my 2012 Mazda3 is the first car I've owned long term with plastic lenses. (My last car was an 89 Accord with sealed beams in the popup housings. I replaced them at some point with glass and metal housings that contained H4 bulbs.) At 5.5 years the lenses are quite clear with only the usual dings and pits from flying debris.

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
I used the Meguiar's kit.

Took 15 minutes per side and the results speak for themselves.

I don't have a before photo but they were worse than yours.

Question is, how long did that last?

With real 2K clear which can also be applied with a touch up gun the ones I have done at 3 yrs look like I did them yesterday.
JHZR2 just from your post and knowing how meticulous you work you could make good use a touch up gun for projects like this.

What touch up gun would you recommend? I fear the day when one of my cars starts to yellow. Have had that in the past...

Iwata LPH80, you can find them on ebay direct from japan cheaper. I will look at mine for the nozzle size IIRC its 1.0 but let me check for sure. Its the best and most versatile all rounder I have used so far.

I read on Auto Anything's website about using baking soda and water to "restore" the lenses. I tried it and it definitely removed 99% of the oxidation. I just used a paste I made with baking soda and water.

I bought some Turtle Wax polishing compound to finish the job tomorrow. I just didn't feel like messing with it anymore today.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back