repair or replace time?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My local mechanic (Subie expert 35 yrs) charges about $1100 for head gasket job on 2.5L. He states one long day for him.

If you can’t get fixed for $1000 junk it.

Originally Posted By: madRiver
My local mechanic (Subie expert 35 yrs) charges about $1100 for head gasket job on 2.5L. He states one long day for him.

If you can’t get fixed for $1000 junk it.

Agreed. Even in California.

Just wanted to say "thanks" for the replies so far!

I did get a second quote (and confirmed a cracked head gasket) for $1,600.

I also have checked autotrader (and every other online used car market). A low cost (under 5k) will have similar or more miles than the one I have now. I think all the granny cars are still in Florida
confused.gif

I'm going to look at a couple of used cars today and see how this goes. I'm aiming in the 8-12K range right now.
I always have my backup plan to repair my current vehicle, although I certainly will not repair myself. Trust me, it's for the better if I don't.

Originally Posted By: macarose
You're a very lucky man because the guy writing this happens to be Steven Lang.

That's right... Steven Lang...

My advice echos the hallowed wisdom of this group. This is a job you can probably do yourself. However, my advice has a bit of a twist. Since you're probably not mechanically inclined, I believe you should go ahead and get several quotes for this repair job... with a slight catch.

At least one of them should be acquired by stating your question to the Ultimate Subaru Message Board.

There are experienced souls who are willing to do this type of work and not charge you an arm, a leg, and a few other vital organs. You should also get every fluid that needs to be drain and filled done.

I didn't quite catch how many miles yours has at the moment. But if it's under 200k you should be perfectly fine.

All the best!

This post kind of reminds me of an NPR fundraiser spot where the voiceover says "This is Sir freaking Patrick Stewart".
The difference is that everyone knows who Patrick Stewart is.
Steven Lang?
Never heard of the guy outside of this site.

I'll make the "cost per mile" argument.

All vehicles have a cost per mile. The IRS allows a deduction of 54.5 cents per mile. That is a very close estimate of real world costs for the average driver.

Don't get hung up on the capital cost of a vehicle, as other expenses (gas, insurance, repairs, service) will very likely be far higher over it's lifetime.

For example, a leftover 2017 Nissan Altima can be had for $17K, plus tax/fees. Call it $19K out the door. Lifespan 175K. That's under 11 cents per mile, capital cost.

My insurance is $1700 year, 10K miles. 17 cents per mile.

Gas cost depends on MPG, this is where a well chosen modern efficient car can save you money.

I say, replace.

Originally Posted By: Cujet
I'll make the "cost per mile" argument.

All vehicles have a cost per mile. The IRS allows a deduction of 54.5 cents per mile. That is a very close estimate of real world costs for the average driver.

Don't get hung up on the capital cost of a vehicle, as other expenses (gas, insurance, repairs, service) will very likely be far higher over it's lifetime.

For example, a leftover 2017 Nissan Altima can be had for $17K, plus tax/fees. Call it $19K out the door. Lifespan 175K. That's under 11 cents per mile, capital cost.

My insurance is $1700 year, 10K miles. 17 cents per mile.

Gas cost depends on MPG, this is where a well chosen modern efficient car can save you money.

I say, replace.

Counter argument, he pays $1600 to fix the problem and the car returns another 50,000 miles of trouble free service. Which works out to 3.2 cents per mile or roughly 3 times the return on his investment compared to the new vehicle in your example.

For $1600, definitely do it. You will likely get another 50-80k out of this car with no head gasket issue, and that should be enough time to build up savings for other things, or another car when it die.

San Diego should have a lot of import know how, making it not as expensive as other California cost like housing.

Replace. I've had multiple subaru's of that era, they all nickle and dime with higher mileage.

Even with the HG issues, you can prob get $800-1K selling it.

Looks like he bought a new car since his signature went from a 1997 Subaru to a 2011 Legacy.

I would get the book and DIY, or at least try. Do you have a second car to drive? It's kind of easy for me to say because I've been fixing things all my life and have a fair mechanical aptitude, but mechanical work isn't all that hard in a lot of cases, esp. with older stuff. I don't mess with imports as I've found domestics are generally better engineered (just not as good quality control, though), but I've heard Subarus of that era are straight-forward to work on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back