Rental Property Advice

Status
Not open for further replies.
i have 6 rentals, screening tenants become a feel for the people, and do't just jump on the first one that makes you feel good. i do background and credit checks, some of my rentals are cheapo 800 month and some are 2200. but remember this very important fact, renters do not care about your property. so plan on replacing the floor unless it's tile or hardwood, and repaint every renter if it in the lower class of rentals.
but it's can be very rewarding. the more you can do on the house yourself, the better you will be.

Originally Posted By: Rock_Hudstone

A friend of mine is looking to rent out her former 3 bed single family home but doesn't have the time to find and screen for tenants.

I suggested a property management company but most seemed to deal with multiple units or commercial RE.

Any advice from those who have or had rental properties about how best to get started. The house is in the Woodbridge N.J. area so not the best class of potential tenants.

-Thanks

If you don’t have the time to do a simple background check then you have zero business becoming a landlord.

There are plenty of property management companies who manage these types of rentals. Look harder.

If you rent to low/no income people whose rent is paid by 'Section 8' you will always have your rent on time....you may (probably will) have other issues as these people usually aren't very considerate of other people's property.

Originally Posted By: maverickfhs
Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson
If she's so lazy she claims she doesn't have the time sell it. There will be headaches it's part of the rental business. I had rentals for over 20 years. You run your applicants through an agency. They will do all the checking you need. I ran them for Credit, rent history and for wants and warrants. They paid for the check if they failed they were out their fee for the renter check. If they pasted I gave it back on the first months rent.

Property management companies will screw you they take the easy road they have no skin in the game. Their just there to take you money because you're to lazy!

Not trying to hijack, but can you share a few names for those companies/agencies? Feel free to PM, thanks
thumbsup2.gif

The one here locally that I used was called Tenant Services. They had several fee structures. I got the lifetime members ship then my Tenant Checks for a credit, rent history and wants and warrants was $39. Most people that said they would do the check all passed except a couple. But I had lots of people that said I'm not doing that. I said thank you very much next. Yes I used to show my rental and I have people backed up wanting to see it. It was crazy. Most of my renters lasted around three years plus but I had a couple for 8 or so years and were still renting when I sold the units in 1999. I know one of them still lives there.

A friend of mine is looking to rent out her former 3 bed single family home but doesn't have the time to find and screen for tenants.

I suggested a property management company but most seemed to deal with multiple units or commercial RE.

Any advice from those who have or had rental properties about how best to get started. The house is in the Woodbridge N.J. area so not the best class of potential tenants.

-Thanks

Some realtors handle rentals. There is more than finding a tenant. Fixing the leaky pipe, broken appliance, scheduling maint work on heating system, collecting late rent, tossing bad tenants out, calming down neighbors when there are loud 4 AM parties.

The problem with being a landlord is you inherit the tenants problems. If they lose there job there problem now becomes your problem.

For several years I was renting to a family from China and we got along great, rent was never late. The husband traveled to China on business regularly, found himself a girlfriend, stopped coming back to see his family and stopped sending rent money to his family. Right before they we're going to get evicted they fled and I quickly changed the locks but lost several months rent. All the frustration and bitterness of the wife that was being cheated on she turned to me because I had the gall to want my rent money. No worse feeling than paying the mortgage and they are living in your place for free.

Evictions are normal when you are in the real estate game just like lawsuits are part of doing business to a businessman.

Of course you do credit check, work history etc. Some things you can't avoid.

Like people suggested no section 8 or Hud.

You need thick alligator type skin to be successful in real estate. At time's It's a dirty business.

Last edited:
I know a guy that bought 2 duplexes for Section 8 rentals. The people destroyed his properties and stole all his appliances, even the window screens and cabinets. Then had to spend big $$$ to get the property ready for inspection from the county and new Section 8 renters.

The guy was a plumber in NY and sold his house, came to Florida expecting easy income of Section 8. He eventually abandoned both properties and bank foreclosed. He lost approx $400,000 in the 5 years he was a landlord.

This is an extreme example of stupidity on his part.

Originally Posted By: DoubleWasp
Mostly going to come down to her. Takes a special kind of person to do bad area rentals.

I know plenty of people with low grade rental properties, and most of them seem mean and unhappy when the topic comes up.

One way or another, she needs to wait. Nobody wants to move during Christmas or winter if they can help it.

It's not a bad area per se, just lower middle class blue collar with mostly owner occupied small singe family homes with rentals mixed in here and there. There is a multi-family right across the street fully rented where people are paying $1400 a month for a small apartment.

Her house is 3 bed, full basement with W/D, detached two car garage and driveway for off street parking.
She was thinking of asking $1800 a month. Frankly, I think people would be fighting for her place considering the high cost of rentals in the area and little chance of more being built in that price range.

I agree her timing is lousy but that how she is: buys when she should rent, sells when she should buy, etc. I think if she could get her first tenant in there she may find its not as impossible as she imagines. They live two blocks away so keeping an eye on things is no problem.

Mostly going to come down to her. Takes a special kind of person to do bad area rentals.

I know plenty of people with low grade rental properties, and most of them seem mean and unhappy when the topic comes up.

One way or another, she needs to wait. Nobody wants to move during Christmas or winter if they can help it.

It's not a bad area per se, just lower middle class blue collar with mostly owner occupied small singe family homes with rentals mixed in here and there. There is a multi-family right across the street fully rented where people are paying $1400 a month for a small apartment.

Her house is 3 bed, full basement with W/D, detached two car garage and driveway for off street parking.
She was thinking of asking $1800 a month. Frankly, I think people would be fighting for her place considering the high cost of rentals in the area and little chance of more being built in that price range.

I agree her timing is lousy but that how she is: buys when she should rent, sells when she should buy, etc. I think if she could get her first tenant in there she may find its not as impossible as she imagines. They live two blocks away so keeping an eye on things is no problem.

-search nolo books for the rental regulations in the area
-check craigslist/zillow/others for comparable rentals; double check amenities and level of finish
-give cityhall a call about local regulations/fees

Only other suggestion is that if she thinks it's worth $1800, list it for $1700. When you price it below market, you get good tenants. When it's too high, the only people left are the ones rejected by everyone else. Get a feel for the rents in the area, you want to price it in the middle to a little bit below that. The highest prices ones just never rent and they just sit there til the landlord lowers the rent. You will probably get multiple applications that way and you can pick and choose the best ones. That's the one where if you're asking for $1700, minimum income should be $68000 but a good tenant might be one that makes 80-90k or more. Also read the credit report. I rejected one guy even though he had about a 650 credit score. He had a $200 car loan for 6 months. That's all it takes to get a 650 score. Apartment was 1000+ and just 6 months history was too short and it's easy to come up with $200 a month, not sure if they can do 1000+. You can also ask for rent receipts to show that they paid their rent on time. Depending on the apartment, I always demand 2-4 months rent up front. If I get any stories of how they'll have it by the end of the month or later, I usually pass, means they have no savings which is actually a large majority. If they can show a savings account or something with several thousand in it, that's usually a good sign they'll be able to pay the rent on time every month. I remember one tenant that kept going on and on about how 3k was a lot of money and wondering if people had that kind of money. I felt like grabbing her and telling her yes, people have that and some consider it nothing. I ended up renting it someone else who had the money. On one rental, I had a doctor write a check for over 13k. He didn't bat an eye when I mentioned the total he needed to bring to the lease signing.

There's a few red flags to be aware of, also be extra careful with anyone who needs to move in right away or doesn't have to give notice to their current landlord. It can be a sign that they've been evicted or are about to get evicted. But strangely no one who's ever looked at an apartment with me ever says that although I suspect some do, they just kinda disappear when I mention I do credit checks and need a completed application and all the money upfront when signing the lease. I don't take deposits anymore because people can change their mind and want the deposit back even though I'd say it was non refundable. Once you have a signed leased and the funds, you have a binding lease and if they want out, they're basically breaking the lease.

Obviously if the person knows what they are doing they can make good money.
Problem is that some people want to get into the game and loose their [censored].

Maybe good paying (7-12%) dividend REITs are a better option for low risk takers.

Originally Posted By: Wolf359
Only other suggestion is that if she thinks it's worth $1800, list it for $1700. When you price it below market, you get good tenants. When it's too high, the only people left are the ones rejected by everyone else. Get a feel for the rents in the area, you want to price it in the middle to a little bit below that.

Any suggestion on how to advertise the property. I suggested for starters a lawn sign since it's on a busy road, then Craigslist?

How about pre-screening and the application process? What questions to ask up right up front to weed out the obvious deadbeats and mental cases.

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
Problem is that some people want to get into the game and loose their [censored].

Not really about making a lot of money, positive cash flow would be minimal. Its more about not dumping the property in the dead of winter for a loss.

Also, having a second home can offer options. Live in one, rent the other or vice versa, rent both and buy a third, sell one move into other, etc.

Only other suggestion is that if she thinks it's worth $1800, list it for $1700. When you price it below market, you get good tenants. When it's too high, the only people left are the ones rejected by everyone else. Get a feel for the rents in the area, you want to price it in the middle to a little bit below that.

Any suggestion on how to advertise the property. I suggested for starters a lawn sign since it's on a busy road, then Craigslist?

How about pre-screening and the application process? What questions to ask up right up front to weed out the obvious deadbeats and mental cases.

I gave up on lawn signs. Got tons of callers on a busy street, but they were usually low ballers. Craigslist is still popular, but then there's Zillow which also cross posts to Trulia and Hotpads. There's also apartments.com. Usually the first question I ask is when they were looking to move in. You mostly want people who are looking for next month after they give their notice. Right away is a red flag and who wants someone looking to move in 3 months from now. Then you can ask about jobs, if they have pets, smoke, why they're moving etc. Usually for the last one, people who live with friends or family is a red flag for those who have been evicted. Best tenants typically have lived somewhere for 5-10 years and haven't moved in a while.

Craigslist is full of nuts don't waste your time.

Local real estate agents that might know someone looking for apartment without putting on MLS. You don't pay $$$, tenant pays agent.

[Usually the first question I ask is when they were looking to move in. You mostly want people who are looking for next month after they give their notice. Then you can ask about jobs, if they have pets, smoke, why they're moving etc.

Yeah, In the past I would interview people when my girlfriend rented rooms in her house.

Questions would usually start off: Where are you living now? Why are you moving? How long have you lived there? Where do you work, how long have you been there, Can we call your employer to confirm? etc.

My gut feelings played a big part as well and were usually right on.

One time this girl came by looking to rent. I was sitting on a sofa and noticed she had a big tattoo on her ankle, (this was before tattooed women were common) that alone gave me a bad vibe about her, but against my advice my GF rented to her and she turned out to be a nightmare.

noticed she had a big tattoo on her ankle, (this was before tattooed women were common) that alone gave me a bad vibe about her, but against my advice my GF rented to her and she turned out to be a nightmare.

Tattooed chicks are completely disgusting. I definitely wouldn't rent to one and would sure as [censored] never give one a job. What these girls need to realize is that the professional world is geared towards being conservative,unless they want to work at a bar. And when they get my age (48) they REALLY look wretched. I think most of that is just a phase or something because they're mad at their fathers and think they're "rebelling" or have weird daddy issues.

Another thing about chicks like that is they always attract bums and you'd end up with some good for nothing bum freeloading in your rental property.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
noticed she had a big tattoo on her ankle, (this was before tattooed women were common) that alone gave me a bad vibe about her, but against my advice my GF rented to her and she turned out to be a nightmare.

Tattooed chicks are completely disgusting. I definitely wouldn't rent to one and would sure as [censored] never give one a job.
Another thing about chicks like that is they always attract bums and you'd end up with some good for nothing bum freeloading in your rental property.

Yeah, her very first rent check bounced, I wanted to bounce her out right then but my GF again didn't listen. She also made up some sob story about how she was an orphan, we found out later on her parents were alive and well.

As for tattooed chicks I can't understand why they choose to permanently disfigure their bodies and then somehow think of it as an improvement. Yet, if they had some burn injury that left a similar disfigurement they would be devastated.

We see more and more of them at the beach in the summer. These otherwise beautiful girls with some ugly tattoo on their midsection or thigh, ugh!

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice

Not really about making a lot of money, positive cash flow would be minimal. Its more about not dumping the property in the dead of winter for a loss.

Also, having a second home can offer options. Live in one, rent the other or vice versa, rent both and buy a third, sell one move into other, etc.

I meant that in general, wasn't directed to your friend wanting to rent.

She has to proceed with lots of caution and have her read posts from knowledgeable people that rent property.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back