Rental Car: 2016 Camry CE 2.5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: ls1mike
Got a passat tsi more to follow.

Love the 1.8 TSI, I have no experience with it in the Passat though.

Originally Posted By: SnPb
I could spin the tires in the Impala at will with the 305 HP engine.

Is that a good thing or a bad thing?
smile.gif

It's generally easier to spin tires on a FWD vehicle.

CE? Pretty sure that's an SE. Wheels and grille look just like our '15 SE.

20160508_122052_zpsnhtgyfxu.jpg

While ours is still low miles, we don't experience the wind noise you're talking about. Stays pretty quiet even cruising at 80 on the Turnpike. We have no issues on power, it trucks up the steep mountains like nothing. I will say the infotainment system is set-up really goofy, but you get used to it.

That said, I prefer driving my older VW anyday...

Originally Posted By: Delta
CE? Pretty sure that's an SE. Wheels and grille look just like our '15 SE.

20160508_122052_zpsnhtgyfxu.jpg

While ours is still low miles, we don't experience the wind noise you're talking about. Stays pretty quiet even cruising at 80 on the Turnpike. We have no issues on power, it trucks up the steep mountains like nothing. I will say the infotainment system is set-up really goofy, but you get used to it.

That said, I prefer driving my older VW anyday...

Said CE right on the paper work and the trunk.

Pete - It was a good thing. The Impala felt much lighter and more powerful than the Charger.

I can't find any mention of 2016 Camry CE on various car websites. Maybe it's some car rental agency special?

Wow, that's a new one for me. Must be some rental market car, because you can't spec one of those on Toyota's site.

Originally Posted By: SnPb
Pete - It was a good thing. The Impala felt much lighter and more powerful than the Charger.

Yeah, the Impala is about 200-300 lbs lighter.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Probably an ok commuter for the average person who just wants something basic.

I sat in the 2016 Camry, wasn't impressed. Once again, headroom was a problem. My hair (short) touched the roof with the seat bottom adjusted all the way down and the seat scooted all the way back. Are they lowering the roof lines in a lot of cars? I'm only 6'2" so I'm not even THAT tall.

I've got probably close to 4" above my head in the Sonata.

One of the things that led me to my Impala. I'm 6'6" so I normally set the seat all the way back and down before I even attempt to get in, but I was cramped to the point of being uncomfortable in the Camry. I tried an Avalon, thinking I might fit better in there. Nope! More drama. They both had the classic "steering wheel in my lap, even all the way up" syndrome I find with most Japanese cars.

In my Impala, I don't even have the seat all the way back and can be comfortable.

By the way, Impalas are THAT quiet. I have the 2.5L 4 cylinder and at cruise the powertrain gets lost what little noise is left. It is anechoic quiet in the car, even with heavy throttle at low revs. I used to be an engine controls calibrator in my previous life and have an ear for particular engine noises, but this one disappears at cruise.

And before the GM critics show up, I have had one issue with the car. There was a tire that wouldn't balance right no matter what the dealer did. It turned out to have a road force imbalance from the factory. I chalk that one up to Firestone, not GM. The dealer did a great job sticking with me too. I haven't had a GM car for quite some time and wasn't really expecting to like it that much, but it has been in my all time top 5 cars I have ever owned. It's not #1 yet because it's still pretty young. I reserve judgement on that until it has a few more years on it.

With 25k on it the maintenance indicator could have come on. Since that occurs every 5k miles. It could have also been rear ended and the body shop could have put CE badges on it. Since it definitely appears to be an SE. I test drove a 2016 Mailbu LT with the 1.5T and the dreaded stop/start feature. The turbo compared to the na 2.5 is a night and day difference. The Camry seemed to have much more power.

The 2.0T in the loaded Malibu would be a comparable to the 3.5 V6 in the Camry. The new gen Camry is due out later this year. From reports the V6 will be dropped for a turbo. Prob snag some good deals on the current model year. Used rental Camrys go for as little as $13k with Hertz.

The new 2018 Camry will still be offered with a 3.5L V6. The Toyota press release has all the details:

"Three new powertrains will be available on the new 2018 Camry: They include a new 3.5-liter V6 with D-4S Fuel Injection and an all-new 2.5-liter inline-4 gasoline engine, which comes paired to a new 8-speed Direct-Shift automatic transmission (8AT), and a next-generation Toyota Hybrid System (THS II)."

http://pressroom.toyota.com/article_display.cfm?article_id=5868

So we asked for an Impala.
No such luck

Back in 2015 I asked for a Impala or something similar for a few days. All they had left that day were Suburbans so was upgraded to that. I reluctantly took it. Turns out I loved it and hated to give it back to Enterprise. I ended up buying a Tahoe a year later.

I'd be all over a new or slightly used turbo Malibu.

However after 3yrs/40k miles in used I'd never buy as people neglect oil and the turbo is a liability in upper mileage. I'd be inclined to buy a non turbo version of family sedan in the 50k-100k range as they can handle oil neglect.

I actually own an upper mileage turbo car 2005 Subaru Legacy with 213k on original turbo but have performed 4K oci since brand new.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back