Removing wax from trim

My Wife and I just inherited a 2017 Subaru Outback. The roof rack and other trick have white residue that I suspect is Nu Finish. Anyone have any methods to remove?

My Wife and I just inherited a 2017 Subaru Outback. The roof rack and other trick have white residue that I suspect is Nu Finish. Anyone have any methods to remove?
You can get this a most auto parts stores, it is sold un a few names eg prepsol. It will not harm paint and removes wax, silicone based products, all sorts of surface contaminates. Good stuff, just spray on a rag and wipe it down then wipe with a fresh rag, it is also available in qts and gallons.

This is the best product I've used so far. Really does remove wax from even the finest textured plastic.

shopping

Your funny post (and it is funny) may be on to something here. I wonder if the Mr. Clean Magic Eraser would work? The thing I'd be concerned with is accidentally rubbing it on the paint. I think the ME can damage paint...

This isn't the product that can stain paint, is it? I know one of the companies makes a product for restoring the look of black trim, but it actually has a black dye in it than can stain paint. It requires masking off painted parts that butt up against the black plastic parts that the product would be used on...I'm not using that stuff...my vehicle would require way too much masking off...

This is the best product I've used so far. Really does remove wax from even the finest textured plastic.

I use this as well and would highly recommend it. I got it to use on our old '11 MDX and it took off wax residue nothing else would, including some of the other methods listed here. If you want to spruce up the vehicle and take care of the issue, don't mess around, get the right tool for the job. (y)

A couple of the methods suggested won't truly remove it they will mask it by adding oils which will simply darken it.

And never use a magic eraser on anything related to the body of your car. Glass is OK.

Last edited:
Your funny post (and it is funny) may be on to something here. I wonder if the Mr. Clean Magic Eraser would work? The thing I'd be concerned with is accidentally rubbing it on the paint. I think the ME can damage paint...
Why is my post funny? I been using a pink eraser to remove wax from trims for over 20 years.

Why is my post funny? I been using a pink eraser to remove wax from trims for over 20 years.
I'm not talking about removing wax. I'm talking about restoring the trim to the way it looked when it was new...it would take days to do this to all of the black trim with an eraser....

Back