Removing Hard Water Spots

Anyone have any tips for removing old hard water spots on windshield and glass? They are outside the wiper track area and on side and rear windows.

I've tried a clay bar once and vinegar once but I couldn't tell a difference. My next step is going to be steel wool. I'm hopeful this will finally do the trick.

I have the windshield looking good except for this last little bit.

I've heard this works for water spots on glass.

1689866848857.jpg

tried several suggested things BUT griots used to be called correcting creams prolly the med as i had all, names changed to protect the innnocent!! my truck was black!! a coating of collinite 915 afterwards + it looked GREAT!!!!

I have a jar of cerium oxide just for this purpose. I've even had to polish stains from a newly installed replacement windshield.

Anyone have any tips for removing old hard water spots on windshield and glass? They are outside the wiper track area and on side and rear windows.

I've tried a clay bar once and vinegar once but I couldn't tell a difference. My next step is going to be steel wool. I'm hopeful this will finally do the trick.

I have the windshield looking good except for this last little bit.
This works for me 4oz distilled water 4oz of distilled white vinegar in a spray bottle. We live in country and the water spots are bad and with all this heat much bad. When I wash my truck then pull it into my shop I have to go over it with the spray bottle of vinegar/water to get the spots off before I use detail spray on it. There might be some use have to rub more but they come off.

You can get a cleaning grade vinegar that is about 30%. Warm it up to 90-100F and it will remove iron and hard mineral spots really well. If that doesn't work add some 3% hydrogen peroxide to it too. Acetic acid is one of the few acids that works on lead FWIW.

Second vote for Cerium Oxide. Follow the directions real well and make sure to keep it wet. Works great.
That reminds me of when I ground snd polished glass to make a mirror for a telescope in high school. I must have the polishing compounds and at least one of the mirror blanks somewhere. Will look for these things tonight.

Back