remote desktop question

I have 3 win 11 pc's at home, one running "headless" (no Monitor, keyboard,etc) as my Plex Media Server...
I connect to it using windows remote Desktop. ( used Tight VNC for a while, same issue)
when uploading files to the server, the transfers seem to top out around 11mbps, which just happens to be my upload speed ( 100down/11up )
both systems are on the same Local network... is it actually sending things out to some where, then back down?
IE: is the connection and transfers actually going out on to the Internet, and not just over the local Network?

You can always test by unplugging your modem from your router temporarily and seeing if transfers stop working.

I suspect that the bottleneck could be that the transfers might be using using the webdav protocol which is inherently slow and inefficient. I have no experience with Plex hosted on Windows, though, so don't take that as gospel.

Copy and paste in RDP is over the internet, not via LAN. There are remote desktop clients that are localhosted but not as user friendly or convenient.

Mapping a network drive is ideal because you can have access to that folder on any PC on your LAN and download your media directly to it from any computer. You can also use your 'headless server' as network attached storage for general file backups or file sharing.

Also, don't feel bad for copy and pasting over RDP. It's super convenient for small files and I do it all the time. But it is very slow.

not so quick chaps...
did the drive map thing...hitting the same "speed limit" transfers topping out around 11mbps..

not so quick chaps...
did the drive map thing...hitting the same "speed limit" transfers topping out around 11mbps..
11mbps or 11MB/s? There's a bit difference there. Edit: because 11MB/s is 88Mbps which is realistic if we assume you're on a 100Mbps ethernet connection. Which would be weird because you should be on Gigabit, but there are some recent lower-end computers, especially cheap laptops, that only have 100Mbps ethernet. Or, you could have a defective ethernet cable somewhere.

Last edited:
Did you disconnect the RDP session?
but of course
11mbps or 11MB/s? There's a bit difference there. Edit: because 11MB/s is 88Mbps which is realistic if we assume you're on a 100Mbps ethernet connection. Which would be weird because you should be on Gigabit, but there are some recent lower-end computers, especially cheap laptops, that only have 100Mbps ethernet. Or, you could have a defective ethernet cable somewhere.
11MB/s.
every thing is GB rated, all cables are Cat 5e, or Cat 6.
edit:
By jove! I think you lads may be on to something!
My Main Desktop:
main desktop.jpg

Plex Server:
plex server.jpg

Last edited:
Even RDP file transfer should be faster than 11Mbps... I just tested it and on my systems it was about 150Mbps... while copying over a shared folder on the network got me full line rate/gigabit.

What router do you have? Are all these computers wired? All plugged directly into the router or are you using any switches? Can you confirm the connection speed of each one?

rdp-file-transfer.jpg

windows-file-transfer.jpg

Back