"Remolded" Tires from Treadwright........yikes!

Passenger retreads have been around forever. They were the winter tires of choice for lots of people where I grew up in NW Pa 50 years ago.

Do you think they might have protocols about what casings they can use, damage etc? Sure they do.

Might not be the best thing here where the roads get HOT but in Pa they were common.

Passenger retreads have been around forever. They were the winter tires of choice for lots of people where I grew up in NW Pa 50 years ago.

Do you think they might have protocols about what casings they can use, damage etc? Sure they do.

Might not be the best thing here where the roads get HOT but in Pa they were common.
That was 50 years ago. I would like anyone to come on here and say they know someone who uses these(Not talking about commercial use). It's defiantly not a big number.

What they are doing is above and beyond an old school retread. That looks to be about as ideal process as is possible, to re-use old tires. Which is to say, you are still using old tires, with the possibility of a less than perfect carcass.

I'd use them without hesitation, but I'd also be mindful of any difficulty balancing them, as that would be clue number 1.

I have used aircraft retreads many times, with good success. It is a very common thing in the aviation world. And they still meet the 225MPH rating!

All the new tires I have bought have serial numbers, and the tires are registered to me as the purchaser. If these guys "wipe" off the serial number and then retread, this is removing traceability and the NTSHA recalls will be literally "wiped clean".

The whole purpose for serializing the tires was so they could be tracked to date of manufacture, the manufacturer, and everything else in the event of a carcass failure.

Again, this was an outgrowth of the Firestone tire issues. All of this came afterwards to make finding out who, what, where, when, and how the tires were made possible and traceable.

Also, big truck tires are made to be "retreaded". Passenger car tires are disposable, and are designed that way.
Ah ..... Mmmm ...... Allow me to clarify.

Tire serial numbers only identify the plant of manufacture and the week/year manufactured (plus a couple of other manufacturing related things). They do not identify the individual end user nor can be uniquely traced to them. So traceability is limited to things that identify tires that are being recalled, but not things that could be used for - say - a criminal investigation of an individual.

The first government required (and standardized) tire serial numbers came in the early 1970's. What the " Firestone Issue" did was require the serial number to be on the side intended out.

Sure, the format of the serial number has been changed over the years. In late 1999, they started a 4 digit week/week/year/year format (completed mid year 2000!). Starting in 2015 they allowed a 3 digit plant code, to be required in April 2025.

Please note: There have been systems to uniquely identify tires - branding on the sidewall, RFID chips, but these are mostly end user systems. At this point in time, there isn't a way for anyone to tell you the history of a passenger car tire. That's mostly true of tires on big trucks, too!

If you want to learn more about tire serial numbers, here's my webpage on the subject: Barry's Tire Tech: DOT Codes

That was 50 years ago. I would like anyone to come on here and say they know someone who uses these(Not talking about commercial use). It's defiantly not a big number.
Yep. Had some that I used for years on my truck. 3/4 ton Chevrolet with no problems. Spent about half its life off road and the rest on road with highway. Also had what was called Kedgegrip I believe at that time. Was awesome in the snow and ice. Unfortunately the truck was totaled when I was T boned by a full dump truck driven by a kid texting. Wishing had that truck back.

Reactions: CKN
Ah ..... Mmmm ...... Allow me to clarify.

Tire serial numbers only identify the plant of manufacture and the week/year manufactured (plus a couple of other manufacturing related things). They do not identify the individual end user nor can be uniquely traced to them. So traceability is limited to things that identify tires that are being recalled, but not things that could be used for - say - a criminal investigation of an individual.

The first government required (and standardized) tire serial numbers came in the early 1970's. What the " Firestone Issue" did was require the serial number to be on the side intended out.

Sure, the format of the serial number has been changed over the years. In late 1999, they started a 4 digit week/week/year/year format (completed mid year 2000!). Starting in 2015 they allowed a 3 digit plant code, to be required in April 2025.

Please note: There have been systems to uniquely identify tires - branding on the sidewall, RFID chips, but these are mostly end user systems. At this point in time, there isn't a way for anyone to tell you the history of a passenger car tire. That's mostly true of tires on big trucks, too!

If you want to learn more about tire serial numbers, here's my webpage on the subject: Barry's Tire Tech: DOT Codes
That's interesting, thank you for the information and the link.

Here, with the last 10 sets of tires I've bought, the shop pulls a label off the tire and affixes it to a "registration" card. They scan the card and the serial numbers into their computer (these are serial numbers and not DOT codes). The serial numbers are permantly affixed on the tire (black letters on a white background), along with a pull off tag. They also include the mileage of the car the tires are installed on.

I was told the data goes back to the manufacturer so they can track each tire for warranty purposes and I've seen this done repeatedly, even at different tire shops around here. All told me the same thing. Warranty registration and tracking information. Maybe it is tied to the specific brand of tire I'm buying (Altimax), but that's not what I was told by the tire shop.

So what I've been told is wrong? Why would they go through all that trouble?

Last edited:
Back then it was all about cost and used tires weren't a thing. People didn't replace tires that had any life left. Today I don't know anyone using them maybe because I don't know anyone in the barely getting by paycheck to paycheck life. Dad ran them because money was tight. Agree today it's not common.

That's interesting, thank you for the information and the link.

Here, with the last 10 sets of tires I've bought, the shop pulls a label off the tire and affixes it to a "registration" card. They scan the card and the serial numbers into their computer (these are serial numbers and not DOT codes). The serial numbers are permantly affixed on the tire (black letters on a white background), along with a pull off tag. They also include the mileage of the car the tires are installed on.

I was told the data goes back to the manufacturer so they can track each tire for warranty purposes and I've seen this done repeatedly, even at different tire shops around here. All told me the same thing. Warranty registration and tracking information. Maybe it is tied to the specific brand of tire I'm buying (Altimax), but that's not what I was told by the tire shop.

So what I've been told is wrong? Why would they go through all that trouble?

OK, this is the first time I've heard of the tire shop scanning the barcodes.

And that's what we used to call them. The words "Serial Numbers" was used for the DOT code.

I need to do a little research to find out when this started, is it an industry practice, etc.

I'll touch back when I have more info!

I've never seen barcode stickers on tires, it must just be your shop/area that does that

Back then it was all about cost and used tires weren't a thing. People didn't replace tires that had any life left. Today I don't know anyone using them maybe because I don't know anyone in the barely getting by paycheck to paycheck life. Dad ran them because money was tight. Agree today it's not common.
Between my father and myself we have 5 decades of using used tires.

These reformed tires are likely heavier than stock with more tread. Interesting that they are mostly antique sizes.

For off-road they are likely stronger tires than OEM given the extra layers of material

Probably no more dangerous than new Goodyears.

I've never seen barcode stickers on tires, it must just be your shop/area that does that
Maybe. It's consistent though. I have bought tires from Sams Club and Walmart too. They do the same as the local tire shop (family owned place, second generation).

First, thanks to 97K15004WD for bring the barcode subject up. I learned quite a bit.

There are apps out there for tire retailers and some might use the individual bar codes, but to the knowledge of everyone I talked to, no one is passing information back to the tire manufacturer at this time. Nor is the tire manufacturer passing info to the tire retailer. There seems to be a nearly complete disconnect.

That means that whatever information the tire dealer is using, they have to input. It's more likely they are scanning the barcode on the label which has the SKU imbedded in it - and they are doing it for inventory and sales record purposes. They might keep that information for warranty purposes, but it is not passed to the tire manufacturer unless they adjust the tire.

Michelin has had them for a while.

RE the Treadwrights - am i the only one that was struck buy the empty space in the establishment and the seemingly labor intensiveness of the process...

I do agree for a jeep or something it would be a reasonable option.

Reactions: WDB
First, thanks to 97K15004WD for bring the barcode subject up. I learned quite a bit.

There are apps out there for tire retailers and some might use the individual bar codes, but to the knowledge of everyone I talked to, no one is passing information back to the tire manufacturer at this time. Nor is the tire manufacturer passing info to the tire retailer. There seems to be a nearly complete disconnect.

That means that whatever information the tire dealer is using, they have to input. It's more likely they are scanning the barcode on the label which has the SKU imbedded in it - and they are doing it for inventory and sales record purposes. They might keep that information for warranty purposes, but it is not passed to the tire manufacturer unless they adjust the tire.

Great information on the serialization with bar codes by a company that does it for the tire manufacturers:

And why they have been doing it:

And here's where BITOG talked about it a while ago (not exactly the same - maybe a different bar code?):

The next time I go into Sam's Club, I'll take some pictures of the tire serial numbers and the tracking cards they affix the stick-on labels to. I find it hard to imagine that my city and state location is the only place that is doing this. Possible, but seems unlikely.

I haven't done a good job of describing the serial number bar code on the tire, so I need to post a picture. I am not taking about the big label on the tire with the UPC and tire info, or the DOT code on the sidewall. It is a small, regular barcode on each tire, molded into the sidewall. I will post a picture after I go to Sam's Club.

Last edited:
Treadwright tires were popular years ago with some in the off-road community. Either someone was worried about cutting an expensive tire on a rock anyway, or they were just doing it for "the look". They used to be a lot cheaper comparitively - like half.

I haven't seen anyone there use them in years. I think the lower cost options from China, which has pushed down the price of the domestic brands, not to mention Discount Tire will honor a cut sidewall if you buy there certificates, have pretty much made this not a thing anymore, at least I haven't heard of anyone using them in a couple off road forums I still peruse.

As for the safety thing - I haven't ever heard of an issue. I presume they have the process down fairly well.

Great information on the serialization with bar codes by a company that does it for the tire manufacturers:

And why they have been doing it:

And here's where BITOG talked about it a while ago (not exactly the same - maybe a different bar code?):

The next time I go into Sam's Club, I'll take some pictures of the tire serial numbers and the tracking cards they affix the stick-on labels to. I find it hard to imagine that my city and state location is the only place that is doing this. Possible, but seems unlikely.

I haven't done a good job of describing the serial number bar code on the tire, so I need to post a picture. I am not taking about the big label on the tire with the UPC and tire info, or the DOT code on the sidewall. It is a small, regular barcode on each tire, molded into the sidewall. I will post a picture after I go to Sam's Club.

No, you did a good job of describing the bar code. The people I talked to are well aware there are bar codes that uniquely identify individual tires, but they all said they have not heard of anyone connecting the manufacturing information - which is used within the manufacturing process - to anything that happens at the tire dealer. There may be information generated, but it is not shared between the manufacturer and the retailer.

barcode.jpg

Last edited:
That's the one. Here's the one on a tire I just found:

IMG_4144.jpg

Yep, the guy's here at all the shops I've used - Walmart, Sam's Club, and Nuttall's (local, 2nd generation tire shop) scan the bar codes and affix the small, peel off labels (the same size as the one that is on the bead of the tire) that come with the tire to a card for all the registration information and tracking info (Date purchased, Mileage, Name, Address, Email, and Phone Number). They take that card and mail/scan it and forward that information to the manufacturer for warranty and safety tracking (that is what I've been told it's for). I will see if I can find an example of the card and the mailing address.

Last edited:
Back