Relocated A Chipmunk

I was walking by the garage and I heard rustling in the downspout so I picked it up and flung it and a Chipmunk came out and hit the fence . It was still alive but didnt move so I put it into a pail and off we went to a nearby wooded area a few miles away . Luckily it couldnt move around like it's normal self because the pail fell over a couple times in the car . This guy has dug several holes up by the house recently and I'm tired of it . I'm not sure but It may be the same one that's making holes around here for a couple years . Glad he's gone and hope he doesn't find his way back . LOL

I had to relocate a squirrel that chewed its' way into the attic, caught him in a Havahart trap. Took him to a park 3 miles away & let him go. Never saw anything move that fast in a trap in my life! Now the corner has a metal plate over the hole & chicken wire over the corner-nothing has chewed through it! YET...

Well folks it's against the law to transport wild animals on your own. They can spread disease. I catch rabbits and squirrels all the time in my havahart traps and let them out again in the same area. Ahem, Ahem, wink wink. I caught a blue jay twice last year.

Attachments

• FWCgeLF0QcqqPFC7wHGAMQ.jpg
    FWCgeLF0QcqqPFC7wHGAMQ.jpg
    253 KB · Views: 38
This could be a standalone post....what animal did you assist today....? Beats another best this best that quiz

I've had to relocate animals on a few occasions.

When I lived in Kentucky, we had a racoon that was eating our cat's food, off the front porch. The city animal control officer had live traps that they would loan out to catch animals. It didn't take long to catch the racoon. They are scary critters to deal with. Pretty viscous. I relocated it a few miles out of town next to corn fields. Never saw it again.

Where I live now, when we first got there, we had a real big problem with cats in our yard. A son of one neighbor would bring home stray cats to his mother, who loves cats. The cats would dig up flowers out of flower pots, so they could use the pot as a litter box. And the flower beds also turned into litter boxes. We had one feral cat that had a couple of liters behind the shrubs in our front yard. So it became time to control the situation.

I bought a live trap and started catching cats that frequented our back yard. I would relocate them to rural farming communities, where I figured there had to be a good supply if mice and such, to keep them fed. It worked. It is very rare that I have a problem with cat crap in my flower beds and vegetable gardens any longer.

Well folks it's against the law to transport wild animals on your own. They can spread disease. I catch rabbits and squirrels all the time in my havahart traps and let them out again in the same area. Ahem, Ahem, wink wink. I caught a blue jay twice last year.
You dont like Blue Jays ?

You dont like Blue Jays ?
I love Blue Jays. They are beautiful and have the neatest sound and are very noisy. I think I caught the same one twice and let it go. They are awesome birds and I would never harm one. It's the rabbits and squirrels that damage the house and pergola where I live. Plus I had to replace two trees this year due to bark damage from rabbits and the trees were $120 each.

Ya'll are generous. I relocate pest critters with either .22 shorts or .22 lr subsonic. I saw a possum running down the side of my house last week. He'll get a subsonic. Possums can be tough.
I've had to relocate animals on a few occasions.

When I lived in Kentucky, we had a racoon that was eating our cat's food, off the front porch. The city animal control officer had live traps that they would loan out to catch animals. It didn't take long to catch the racoon. They are scary critters to deal with. Pretty viscous. I relocated it a few miles out of town next to corn fields. Never saw it again.

Where I live now, when we first got there, we had a real big problem with cats in our yard. A son of one neighbor would bring home stray cats to his mother, who loves cats. The cats would dig up flowers out of flower pots, so they could use the pot as a litter box. And the flower beds also turned into litter boxes. We had one feral cat that had a couple of liters behind the shrubs in our front yard. So it became time to control the situation.

I bought a live trap and started catching cats that frequented our back yard. I would relocate them to rural farming communities, where I figured there had to be a good supply if mice and such, to keep them fed. It worked. It is very rare that I have a problem with cat crap in my flower beds and vegetable gardens any longer.
Uncle Charlie's farm. If my girls mutt eats another pair of shoes, he's going to Uncle Charlie's farm. At my old house my neighbors had a momma cat that ran wild. Every 6 months or so - new kittens everywhere, which they gave away like Halloween candy. Went though a lot of subsonic on the feral males she attracted, as my fixed outside cats didn't need to be fighting those m'fres.

In a lot of cases the relocated wild animal is put into another's territory and it can turn out badly. All animals have territories and when you drop one in strange surroundings it has to deal with that as well as the resident. Good intentions don't always work out.

Here it's said that most rattlesnakes that get relocated don't survive and they don't even try to relocate mountain lions because 2 will possibly die instead of one. There was an uproar locally after a female mountain lion and her cubs were put down after attacking pets instead of being relocated. Game & Fish said they wouldn't stand a chance.

Ya'll are generous. I relocate pest critters with either .22 shorts or .22 lr subsonic. I saw a possum running down the side of my house last week. He'll get a subsonic. Possums can be tough.

Uncle Charlie's farm. If my girls mutt eats another pair of shoes, he's going to Uncle Charlie's farm. At my old house my neighbors had a momma cat that ran wild. Every 6 months or so - new kittens everywhere, which they gave away like Halloween candy. Went though a lot of subsonic on the feral males she attracted, as my fixed outside cats didn't need to be fighting those m'fres.
As kids, a friend and I did pest control at the local cemetery just outside of town. We shot chipmunks with pellet guns, the place was full of them and they were tearing up the place. The caretaker would pay us 10 cents each for each dead critter we bought him. Not unusual to take him 30 or more in a couple hours time.

I always made more $ than him. I had a Sheridan Blue Streak in .20 caliber. He had some cheap brand in .177 so I had an advantage in accuracy.

Last edited:
In my area it is illegal to relocate a wild animal. Anything (pest) which I have caught gets euthanized. I never caught a bird but I would release it on the spot, unharmed.

Chipmunks are bad news around here. They tunnel alongside the foundation and over time they remove the soil and depresses the area. We had them really bad and then had a huge flood. Drowned them all out for about three years. Then they came back but I have cats now. Hawks like them too.

My mother used to trap squirrels and transport them the front of her neighborhood because they would eat her bird seed. I asked her if she's going to do the same to the bear which knocks down her feeder. ;)

My parents always hated chipmunks in the yard and they'd set traps and relocate them to nearby (or not so nearby) wooded areas. I think they probably relocated about 50 of them over the years. I used to joke that maybe it was the same chipmunk 50 times....

I use a bucket with about a gallon of water and some sunflower seeds floating on the top to catch chipmunks. I then recycle them out back for the Fox to recycle.
An old neighbor had a place up North that was over run by Chipmunks. He live trapped them and then released them a mile or so down the road. He thought he kept seeing the same chipmunks but didnt believe it so he put a dab of orange spray paint on the tail of one and released it. 3 days later it was back in the trap. I hate to have to dispose of them but **** can they tear up a shed if you dont.

I use a bucket with about a gallon of water and some sunflower seeds floating on the top to catch chipmunks. I then recycle them out back for the Fox to recycle.
An old neighbor had a place up North that was over run by Chipmunks. He live trapped them and then released them a mile or so down the road. He thought he kept seeing the same chipmunks but didnt believe it so he put a dab of orange spray paint on the tail of one and released it. 3 days later it was back in the trap. I hate to have to dispose of them but **** can they tear up a shed if you dont.
I saw one go into a pipe one day. Put on a leather glove and shook him out into my hand. They bite a lot and would not suggest to do it bare handed...LOL!

Back