Redline Oil & TEOST ASTM D 6335

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
Originally Posted By: donnyj08
im glad i stocked up on clearanced EDGE FST and QSUD for the S2000 Both oils looked super impressive in the amsoil testing.

im actually very surprised to see the EDGE FST perform so well.

Since the S2000 does not have DI I wouldn't be concerned in the slightest with TEOST. I would probably want to run an oil that has AW additive levels more typical of an SL oil. And if the price didn't bother you RL 0W-30 would be an excellent oil choice.

Sure, however at the $2 a qt i paid per qt for both they are a much better value than RL anyway you stack it. I would run a specialty oil in it, but SN/SM on clearance sales are just too good to pass up!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Ive not been impresed by redline lubes for many years now. and while Ive never used redline lube oils, the UOA results we have seen havent been that stellar.

That's a little harsh for someone that has never used their motor oil.
I for one have been very impressed RL UOAs.
Their oils have proven to be shear proof with more than acceptable wear numbers.

More than acceptable is relative. Sure, we can argue meaning or validity of x ppm vs y ppm of some wear metal, and whether it means anything at all... But the reality is that we have seen MANY times that RL produces high wear metal numbers compared to other lubes. This isnt a question of what UOA tells you - in the context of this specific thread, it appears that RL may not meet certain specs well, and if there is some compromise in the design of the lube, protection may be compromised despite its grp V base, which per the rest of my orginal post, appears to be a differentiator to those who (foolishly) demand specific basestocks for some semblance of "value proposition" that isnt really there.

RI_RS4 was not impressed with RL results in the RS4 engine - driving to the need for a new lube. Sure that is turbo and DI, but for more simplistic engines, Im not sure we have absolute certainty that an extra ton of moly or other AW/EP/FM adds do much at all... and perhaps hinder. And how about TBN?

I cant say that shear stability has been a challenge in any oils Ive ever run, and I have quite a few >10k mile OCIs out there in the UOA section.

Maybe youre specifically talking about racing applications and racing oils... But if so, you arent clear, and most on here couldn't care less about racing applications as compared to longgevity under their regular driving use - even if they drive very hard.

I agree with some of your points.
For the size of the company RL gets a lot of "press" on BITOG, most of it favorable, but they are just a boutique formulator that meets no API, ACEA or OEM spec's per se.

But it is good at what it does with the emphasis on racing but what makes a good race oil does not necessarily make a preferred oil for one's modern daily driver. That is a mistake that many do make. That said I can name some high end premium motor oils such as Sustina 0W-50, Motul 300V and PU 0W-40 that fail even to match what they claim in their PDS spec's but RL always does. And as I mentioned before RL oils do not shear while most oil definitely do shear at least to some extent.
RL is what it claims to be, a high performance oil best used in
high oil temp' applications to get the most out of it.
The fact that many use it in more typical low stress applications shouldn't be a knock on RL.

im glad i stocked up on clearanced EDGE FST and QSUD for the S2000 Both oils looked super impressive in the amsoil testing.

Since the S2000 does not have DI I wouldn't be concerned in the slightest with TEOST. I would probably want to run an oil that has AW additive levels more typical of an SL oil. And if the price didn't bother you RL 0W-30 would be an excellent oil choice.

Sure, however at the $2 a qt i paid per qt for both they are a much better value than RL anyway you stack it. I would run a specialty oil in it, but SN/SM on clearance sales are just too good to pass up!

And I picked up some RL on clearance for a bargain price a while ago. My point is that you're putting too much emphasis on attributes that aren't particularly important for you almost 10 year old sports car. If it were my car I'd be more interested in at least matching the AW additive levels of the oils they specified for the car in the day, that's all.

And I picked up some RL on clearance for a bargain price a while ago. My point is that you're putting too much emphasis on attributes that aren't particularly important for you almost 10 year old sports car. If it were my car I'd be more interested in at least matching the AW additive levels of the oils they specified for the car in the day, that's all.

I was simply pointing out the oil performed pretty well in all those tests. I was Impressed that I picked up the oil in my stash at 2$ a qt. also the S isn't my only car. My 08 armada is which is flex fuel can benefit from a quality SN oil like EDGE FST.

I'm not arguing the fact that a stout A/W SL oil would be superior in the S for minimizing friction, However this is a street driven fun car that is not tracked or beat on. If I did track it or beat on it I would run a stouter oil than OTC SN/SM good sir

Ive not been impresed by redline lubes for many years now. and while Ive never used redline lube oils, the UOA results we have seen havent been that stellar.

That's a little harsh for someone that has never used their motor oil.
I for one have been very impressed RL UOAs.
Their oils have proven to be shear proof with more than acceptable wear numbers.

More than acceptable is relative. Sure, we can argue meaning or validity of x ppm vs y ppm of some wear metal, and whether it means anything at all... But the reality is that we have seen MANY times that RL produces high wear metal numbers compared to other lubes. This isnt a question of what UOA tells you - in the context of this specific thread, it appears that RL may not meet certain specs well, and if there is some compromise in the design of the lube, protection may be compromised despite its grp V base, which per the rest of my orginal post, appears to be a differentiator to those who (foolishly) demand specific basestocks for some semblance of "value proposition" that isnt really there.

RI_RS4 was not impressed with RL results in the RS4 engine - driving to the need for a new lube. Sure that is turbo and DI, but for more simplistic engines, Im not sure we have absolute certainty that an extra ton of moly or other AW/EP/FM adds do much at all... and perhaps hinder. And how about TBN?

I cant say that shear stability has been a challenge in any oils Ive ever run, and I have quite a few >10k mile OCIs out there in the UOA section.

Maybe youre specifically talking about racing applications and racing oils... But if so, you arent clear, and most on here couldn't care less about racing applications as compared to longgevity under their regular driving use - even if they drive very hard.

I agree with some of your points.
For the size of the company RL gets a lot of "press" on BITOG, most of it favorable, but they are just a boutique formulator that meets no API, ACEA or OEM spec's per se.

But it is good at what it does with the emphasis on racing but what makes a good race oil does not necessarily make a preferred oil for one's modern daily driver. That is a mistake that many do make. That said I can name some high end premium motor oils such as Sustina 0W-50, Motul 300V and PU 0W-40 that fail even to match what they claim in their PDS spec's but RL always does. And as I mentioned before RL oils do not shear while most oil definitely do shear at least to some extent.
RL is what it claims to be, a high performance oil best used in
high oil temp' applications to get the most out of it.
The fact that many use it in more typical low stress applications shouldn't be a knock on RL.

Good points. As stated in my original post, my experience with other redline lubes hasn't been stellar, so this kind of doesnt surprise me. What does is the fact that since many of the high performance vehicles that are a niche market for redline are turbo, di, etc, I'm surprised that this would be any bit of the case. These kinds of tests are the ones that I'd think that redline would want to blow out of the water... Even if a 5k in a Camry is irrelevant and doesn't test "well".

Hope the Pennzoil Ultra can clean up all those Red Line deposits on my pistons!

With that said, I fairly recently tore down my old 4.6 4V short block which spent most of its life on Red Line. Pistons were immaculate, cylinder walls were essentially wear free, in fact everything in the engine, including the interior surfaces of the aluminum block, main/rod bearings, everything could have passed for a 1,000 mile engine even to a trained eye.

Red Line sucks.

Originally Posted By: Ben99GT

With that said, I fairly recently tore down my old 4.6 4V short block which spent most of its life on Red Line. Pistons were immaculate, cylinder walls were essentially wear free, in fact everything in the engine, including the interior surfaces of the aluminum block, main/rod bearings, everything could have passed for a 1,000 mile engine even to a trained eye.

Red Line sucks.

crackmeup2.gif
grin2.gif

Yeah,this weekend,I'll have to let a few people know Redline oil is no good.I've seen a motor just get put back together a week ago that has run Redline in their 406 powered nova since the motor was first installed 2 years ago. Every time I've seen it torn down after racing season was over,it was in awsome shape from the way the bearings looked,cylinder walls,etc etc.

Yup,I agree time to look for alternatives.
56.gif

Since the S2000 does not have DI I wouldn't be concerned in the slightest with TEOST. I would probably want to run an oil that has AW additive levels more typical of an SL oil. And if the price didn't bother you RL 0W-30 would be an excellent oil choice. [/quote]

Sure, however at the $2 a qt i paid per qt for both they are a much better value than RL anyway you stack it. I would run a specialty oil in it, but SN/SM on clearance sales are just too good to pass up![/quote]
And I picked up some RL on clearance for a bargain price a while ago. My point is that you're putting too much emphasis on attributes that aren't particularly important for you almost 10 year old sports car. If it were my car I'd be more interested in at least matching the AW additive levels of the oils they specified for the car in the day, that's all. [/quote]

I was simply pointing out the oil performed pretty well in all those tests. I was Impressed that I picked up the oil in my stash at 2$ a qt. also the S isn't my only car. My 08 armada is which is flex fuel can benefit from a quality SN oil like EDGE FST.

I'm not arguing the fact that a stout A/W SL oil would be superior in the S for minimizing friction, However this is a street driven fun car that is not tracked or beat on. If I did track it or beat on it I would run a stouter oil than OTC SN/SM good sir [/quote]

If you are running 10W-30 Edge with FST, that is all the stoutness you will ever need in your S2000 under any circumstances.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Phishin
Of all the oils on that list, besides AMSOIL kicking everyone's rear end....

If you are concerned about engine deposits it was Castrol Edge that kicked everyone's butt including Asmoil and that's with an average 10.5% NOACK. It also had a TBN second only to Amsoil.

So if I was looking for a long drain oil in a DI application it's Castrol Edge that I would be thinking of trying.

That's interesting and good news, typically Castrol gets dumped on when it comes to cleanliness. I still think the SM variant of Edge Gold bottle was better than the SN though, at least on paper.

I was surprised at the Castrol results on the TEOST.

These are bench tests, so that has to be kept in mind.

Originally Posted By: DragRace

Red Line sucks.

crackmeup2.gif
grin2.gif

Yeah,this weekend,I'll have to let a few people know Redline oil is no good.I've seen a motor just get put back together a week ago that has run Redline in their 406 powered nova since the motor was first installed 2 years ago. Every time I've seen it torn down after racing season was over,it was in awsome shape from the way the bearings looked,cylinder walls,etc etc.

56.gif

Thanks! Because of these guys and their 406, I feel so much better about putting it in a daily driver where it's subjected to far greater swings in temperature and overall weather.
grin.gif

RS4 is a NA 4.2L V8. It's not forced induction, but it is FSI.

That car was notorious for build-up. The current generation FSI Audis don't seem to have that problem. I have seen photos of the 3.0TFSI V6 at 60k and the valves looked nearly perfect after the 10k OCIs on dealer Castrol Edge 5w40.

Originally Posted By: dparm

RS4 is a NA 4.2L V8. It's not forced induction, but it is FSI.

That car was notorious for build-up. The current generation FSI Audis don't seem to have that problem. I have seen photos of the 3.0TFSI V6 at 60k and the valves looked nearly perfect after the 10k OCIs on dealer Castrol Edge 5w40.

Would you have a link to those pics? The only ones I have found were for the GTI (same engine) and they were still having the problem. It wasn't nearly as excessive, but it was still there.

Originally Posted By: buster
I was surprised at the Castrol results on the TEOST.

These are bench tests, so that has to be kept in mind.

Why were you surprised? Did you have a bad experience with it? Deposits?

Because historically Castrol's oils were known to not keep engines that clean. Doug Hillary said the same thing.

Older versions of Syntec weren't that good either. On Pennzoil's IIIG test, Castrol performed the worst.

Because historically Castrol's oils were known to not keep engines that clean. Doug Hillary said the same thing.

Older versions of Syntec weren't that good either. On Pennzoil's IIIG test, Castrol performed the worst.

any engine or just engines that already had cleanliness issues? I haven't seen anything supporting Castrol to be inferior in that aspect.

What I do believe is that castrol has been a popular choice for cars who have engine cleanliness problems. I haven't seen anything showing a different oil can keep the same engine in the same conditions cleaner than castrol.

Red Line sucks.

crackmeup2.gif
grin2.gif

56.gif

Wait guise!!1 But the TEOST test proved beyond a shadow of a doubt how garbage RL is!! Sure, they tested a isngle viscosity, single batch, but that translates to the entire RL lineup and for past, present and future but do you think your, our and a plethora of professional racers' real world results really matter? It's probably placebo effect. The sludge is probably the same colour of fresh aluminum, so you can't really tell just by eyeballing it. Trust the professionals, trust this one single test. Also, run something trusted and tested for over 50 years, Mobil 1 instead. It's #1, yknow
wink.gif

Seriously, reading this thread it really seems like a bashfest on Redline. Regardless of the validity of the test (not the procedure, but the specific test, including all interests involved and their interpretation of the results), they tested one grade and one batch.

Now, we have this supposedly "GrV" ester high performance oil failing deposit tests. Let us put this in perspective. What failed? At what level is the failure? Was it a bad batch of base stock? Who supplies RL ester base stocks- last I checked it was XOM. Was it defective? Is there something about the manner in which Redline formulates their 5w30 specifically? What was the viscometry of the base oils used? Do esters just perform badly in high temperatures? Did either batch not meet specifications? Did one or both BARELY meet specification (considered an overall pass)? Is the problem not at the supplier level, and at Redline's? Is it poor blending chemistry? Are they using inferior VMs? Are they using inferior AOs or AO levels?
What about the nature of the "deposits". Do ester 'deposits' weigh more, like ester fluids do relative to other common base stocks? Were deposits affected by the high level of sulfated additives? Were the deposits more polar, and thus more likely to stick to the rod, increasing weight? How about the nature of the deposits, were they hard abrasive coke or just simply very thickened oil with a strong surface tension on the rod? "Wet" deposits would weigh more than dry, coked deposits, so were the characteristics of the deposit material among all of the subjects similar, or different (ie coke on some, sticky sludge on others)? Are any differences in the deposit characteristics recorded?

To think that with so much information missing, and all of these unanswered questions, that we can unequivocally bash the company's entire product lineup based on ONE TEST? That's ridiculous.

Originally Posted By: badtlc

any engine or just engines that already had cleanliness issues? I haven't seen anything supporting Castrol to be inferior in that aspect.

What I do believe is that castrol has been a popular choice for cars who have engine cleanliness problems. I haven't seen anything showing a different oil can keep the same engine in the same conditions cleaner than castrol.

I have seen a correlation between Castrol and engine varnish, not sludge. That was in the ol' GTX days though. I wouldn't expect Castrol to have this problem currently, like I wouldn't expect PYB to turn into wax, or Mobil 1 shearing down and elevating Fe.

Originally Posted By: jrustles

Red Line sucks.

crackmeup2.gif
grin2.gif

56.gif

Wait guise!!1 But the TEOST test proved beyond a shadow of a doubt how garbage RL is!! Sure, they tested a isngle viscosity, single batch, but that translates to the entire RL lineup and for past, present and future but do you think your, our and a plethora of professional racers' real world results really matter? It's probably placebo effect. The sludge is probably the same colour of fresh aluminum, so you can't really tell just by eyeballing it. Trust the professionals, trust this one single test. Also, run something trusted and tested for over 50 years, Mobil 1 instead. It's #1, yknow
wink.gif

Seriously, reading this thread it really seems like a bashfest on Redline. Regardless of the validity of the test (not the procedure, but the specific test, including all interests involved and their interpretation of the results), they tested one grade and one batch.

Now, we have this supposedly "GrV" ester high performance oil failing deposit tests. Let us put this in perspective. What failed? At what level is the failure? Was it a bad batch of base stock? Who supplies RL ester base stocks- last I checked it was XOM. Was it defective? Is there something about the manner in which Redline formulates their 5w30 specifically? What was the viscometry of the base oils used? Do esters just perform badly in high temperatures? Did either batch not meet specifications? Did one or both BARELY meet specification (considered an overall pass)? Is the problem not at the supplier level, and at Redline's? Is it poor blending chemistry? Are they using inferior VMs? Are they using inferior AOs or AO levels?
What about the nature of the "deposits". Do ester 'deposits' weigh more, like ester fluids do relative to other common base stocks? Were deposits affected by the high level of sulfated additives? Were the deposits more polar, and thus more likely to stick to the rod, increasing weight? How about the nature of the deposits, were they hard abrasive coke or just simply very thickened oil with a strong surface tension on the rod? "Wet" deposits would weigh more than dry, coked deposits, so were the characteristics of the deposit material among all of the subjects similar, or different (ie coke on some, sticky sludge on others)? Are any differences in the deposit characteristics recorded?

To think that with so much information missing, and all of these unanswered questions, that we can unequivocally bash the company's entire product lineup based on ONE TEST? That's ridiculous.

Right, one test is no test, but there is insight to be gained here, and one must keep it in perspective. Most on here have daily drivers they are trying to protect, not a 409 Nova race car. Many here are fooled by the "have to have Grp IV or V basestock" arguments. But to throw in "bad batch" and all this other stuff as apologetics is just as ridiculous as reading into too much on this, or to demanding some basestock as the end-all, be all for blending oils.

There is lots of silliness in the decision process for selecting a fully formulated, test-approved lube oil. The fact that this oil is sold as being superior both in design and basestock, has the "superior" group V base, and cant meet this is useful insight. To me it just implies what ive found with use of their other lubes - they arent necessarily as great as some make them out to be. What that means practically is TBD. But to make arguments for the oil is as silly as to make arguments against it for one test. The result, though, may well be telling all the same...

^ +1 Well said JH.

The way I see it, if I'm paying top $ for a premium oil it better far exceed what is required by the latest API/ILSAC/ACEA specs. Otherwise, just make your racing oils and don't worry about complying.

You have to pass the TEOST test and the industry put emphasis on it for GF-5. I wouldn't be happy about RL not passing it and would not use RL in a turbo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back