red line oil

Status
Not open for further replies.

tdi jerry

$100 Site Donor 2024
i have two vw beetles one is a 2000 tdi diesel & the other is a 2003 2.0 gas eng. i run mobil truck & suv 5w40 in the diesel & mobil 1 0w40 in the gas eng.what do you think of red line oil in these two cars ?

jerry
patriot.gif

Do they make a Redline that is appropriate for diesel-fired engines? Mobil Delvac-1 is the most appropriate oil for the TDI, and the 0W40 Mobil1 it just fine in the other.

In fact, if you wanted to simplify your oil requirements and inventory, you could run Delvac-1 5W40 in both quite easily. Either way, I'd just make sure on the diesel, that the oil you use is appropriate for a diesel engine with an EGR. If you haven't already, check out www.TDIclub.com -- lots of TDI-specific discussion on oils -- you definitely want to avoid the 30 weight oils in these cars.

Redline 15w-40 is specifically a HDD motor oil and one of the finest.

All their street oils are capable of being run in about any diesel because of the base oil and add chemistry.

Buying all the specs so they show up on a approved list ,thats another story. From an analysis point of view makes little matter to me if it protects and is clean.

quote:

Running the Delvac in both would be cheaper and your UOA results and engine life will probably be the same with either RL or Delvac

Agree.

I've seen redline for $7.50/quart and delvac 1 for $4.77. I don't think the redline is THAT much better, if better at all. I think at this high level of premium synthetics, you're splitting hairs trying to differentiate. You've already arrived at proper oil choice when you chose d1 and 0w40 for the gasser - move on, get a life, and do something else than worry about your oil!!!!!!!

RedLine at Advance Auto is $7.98 qt.!!!
shocked.gif
I just can't see the need, when I can get the G/C for $4.79... The difference gets me two Baldwin filters.
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back